can't update windows

Victor

can't update windows
in the lower right corner there's an icon that tells me windows can't check
for updates. after i click the icon windows update opens up and when i click
on check for updates i get error code 80070422. now when i follow the steps
to fix the problem, it doesn't do anything. if windows update is set either
to automatic or manual, it doesn't make a difference. i always get the same
error.
Joan Archer

Re: can't update windows
See if there is anything at any of these to help you.
Joan

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update
Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows Update Web
site on a Windows
XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in the lower right corner there's an icon that tells me windows can't
> check
> for updates. after i click the icon windows update opens up and when i
> click
> on check for updates i get error code 80070422. now when i follow the
> steps
> to fix the problem, it doesn't do anything. if windows update is set
> either
> to automatic or manual, it doesn't make a difference. i always get the
> same
> error.

TaurArian

Re: can't update windows
You have not stated what operating system you are using, perhaps that's a secret.

The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is not started or is unavailable.
Error 0x80070422
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

What causes Error 0x80070422
http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html

or for Vista - Windows Update error 80070422
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx

Another possibility: "Windows modules installer" service is disabled.

Log on as an Administrator -

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools

Double-click Services

(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)

Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.

Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.
--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| in the lower right corner there's an icon that tells me windows can't check
| for updates. after i click the icon windows update opens up and when i click
| on check for updates i get error code 80070422. now when i follow the steps
| to fix the problem, it doesn't do anything. if windows update is set either
| to automatic or manual, it doesn't make a difference. i always get the same
| error.

Victor

Re: can't update windows
i'm using windows vista ultimate x32.
the problem isn't that i can't download updates. i can't even CHECK for
updates or view them.
some updates install, but i do not know how they get through.
also, i can't update quicktime and windows live messenger. well i guess i
could download them manually, but that's not the point.
here are my most recent updates. it seems like everything was still fine in
december.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/959/wve1nf6.png
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4616/wve2fp4.png

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You have not stated what operating system you are using, perhaps that's a secret.
>
> The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is not started or is unavailable.
> Error 0x80070422
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False
>
> What causes Error 0x80070422
> http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html
>
> or for Vista - Windows Update error 80070422
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx
>
> Another possibility: "Windows modules installer" service is disabled.
>
> Log on as an Administrator -
>
> Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
>
> Double-click Services
>
> (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
>
> Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.
>
> Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | in the lower right corner there's an icon that tells me windows can't check
> | for updates. after i click the icon windows update opens up and when i click
> | on check for updates i get error code 80070422. now when i follow the steps
> | to fix the problem, it doesn't do anything. if windows update is set either
> | to automatic or manual, it doesn't make a difference. i always get the same
> | error.

TaurArian

Re: can't update windows
Did you check out the article : Windows Update error 80070422
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3256C5F-20B4-454D-A864-7FE776B1C35A@microsoft.com...
| i'm using windows vista ultimate x32.
| the problem isn't that i can't download updates. i can't even CHECK for
| updates or view them.
| some updates install, but i do not know how they get through.
| also, i can't update quicktime and windows live messenger. well i guess i
| could download them manually, but that's not the point.
| here are my most recent updates. it seems like everything was still fine in
| december.
|
| http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/959/wve1nf6.png
| http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4616/wve2fp4.png
|

| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > You have not stated what operating system you are using, perhaps that's a secret.
| >
| > The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is not started or is unavailable.
| > Error 0x80070422

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

| > What causes Error 0x80070422
| > http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html
| >
| > or for Vista - Windows Update error 80070422

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx

| > Another possibility: "Windows modules installer" service is disabled.
| >
| > Log on as an Administrator -
| >
| > Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
| >
| > Double-click Services
| >
| > (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
| >
| > Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.
| >
| > Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | in the lower right corner there's an icon that tells me windows can't check
| > | for updates. after i click the icon windows update opens up and when i click
| > | on check for updates i get error code 80070422. now when i follow the steps
| > | to fix the problem, it doesn't do anything. if windows update is set either
| > | to automatic or manual, it doesn't make a difference. i always get the same
| > | error.

Victor

Re: can't update windows
i tried it multiple times. switching from manual to automatic and vice versa.
it didn't make a difference.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Did you check out the article : Windows Update error 80070422
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3256C5F-20B4-454D-A864-7FE776B1C35A@microsoft.com...
> | i'm using windows vista ultimate x32.
> | the problem isn't that i can't download updates. i can't even CHECK for
> | updates or view them.
> | some updates install, but i do not know how they get through.
> | also, i can't update quicktime and windows live messenger. well i guess i
> | could download them manually, but that's not the point.
> | here are my most recent updates. it seems like everything was still fine in
> | december.
> |
> | http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/959/wve1nf6.png
> | http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4616/wve2fp4.png
> |

> | "TaurArian" wrote:
> |
> | > You have not stated what operating system you are using, perhaps that's a secret.
> | >
> | > The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is not started or is unavailable.
> | > Error 0x80070422
> | >
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False
> | >
> | > What causes Error 0x80070422
> | > http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html
> | >
> | > or for Vista - Windows Update error 80070422
> | >
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...87ff61033.mspx
> | >
> | > Another possibility: "Windows modules installer" service is disabled.
> | >
> | > Log on as an Administrator -
> | >
> | > Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
> | >
> | > Double-click Services
> | >
> | > (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
> | >
> | > Right-click the "Windows Modules Installer" service, and select Properties.
> | >
> | > Select General tab - make sure that Startup type is Manual.
> | > --
> | > ====================================
> | > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> | > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> | > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> | > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> | > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

TaurArian

Re: can't update windows
Did you then submit a Windows Update Service Request
No-charge: Unlimited support requests
as per the link the article "http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527"