Windows update causing crashes?

isky11

Windows update causing crashes?
I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate - took
me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows automatic
updates turned on.

The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.

Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the Windows
update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the problem
returns straight away!

Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?

Regads
BoaT

--
Useless bitofatit really..aka ludite
Jen O.P.

RE: Windows update causing crashes?
Had similar issue where an update made problem with IE7. I made a list (with
a screen shot) of all updates that had been installed on the day the problem
began. Then, one by one, I uninstalled those updates, checking them off as I
went. I got to the 3rd one and, BINGO, IE worked perfectly. I had
previously "fixed" it with system restore, but like you, it would auto-update
and come back. So, now I'm working to remember how to "hide" an update. I
know this is possible & I'll let you know if I figure it out!

"isky11" wrote:

> I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate - took
> me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
> security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows automatic
> updates turned on.
>
> The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.
>
> Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the Windows
> update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
> closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
> mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the problem
> returns straight away!
>
> Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
> could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?
>
> Regads
> BoaT
>
> --
> Useless bitofatit really..aka ludite

isky11

RE: Windows update causing crashes?
Thx Jen I'll look out fro a further post from you.
--

"Jen O.P." wrote:

> Had similar issue where an update made problem with IE7. I made a list (with
> a screen shot) of all updates that had been installed on the day the problem
> began. Then, one by one, I uninstalled those updates, checking them off as I
> went. I got to the 3rd one and, BINGO, IE worked perfectly. I had
> previously "fixed" it with system restore, but like you, it would auto-update
> and come back. So, now I'm working to remember how to "hide" an update. I
> know this is possible & I'll let you know if I figure it out!
>
> "isky11" wrote:
>
> > I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate - took
> > me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
> > security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows automatic
> > updates turned on.
> >
> > The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.
> >
> > Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the Windows
> > update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
> > closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
> > mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the problem
> > returns straight away!
> >
> > Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
> > could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?
> >
> > Regads
> > BoaT
> >
> > --
> > Useless bitofatit really..aka ludite

Jen O.P.

RE: Windows update causing crashes?
Isky11, I found out how to hide them.
Look for this post: How do I hide UNWANTED Vista updates?

Or go to Start>All Programs> Windows Update> then right click on the update
you don't want and click "hide". You won't be asked again to install this
update!

"isky11" wrote:

> I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate - took
> me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
> security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows automatic
> updates turned on.
>
> The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.
>
> Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the Windows
> update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
> closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
> mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the problem
> returns straight away!
>
> Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
> could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?
>
> Regads
> BoaT
>
> --
> Useless bitofatit really..aka ludite

Re: Windows update causing crashes?
[Crossposted to IE General]

Please do not disable Automatic Updates.

1. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) except
for one (1) IE window.

2. Go to Windows Update website http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

3. Select CUSTOM and scan

4. If KB944533 is offered, check/select it

5. If any other Critical updates are offered, check/select them as well

6. If IE7 is listed, uncheck/deselect it then hide it

7. Open Optional Updates in left-hand menu

8. If KB946627 is listed, check/select it

9. Click on INSTALL UPDATES and follow all prompts.

If the problem persists after you've rebooted, please post the complete
error message shown when IE crashes (if any).
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

isky11 wrote:
> I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate -
> took
> me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
> security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows
> automatic
> updates turned on.
>
> The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.
>
> Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the
> Windows
> update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
> closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
> mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the
> problem
> returns straight away!
>
> Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
> could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?
>
> Regads
> BoaT

isky11

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to IE General]
>
> Please do not disable Automatic Updates.
>
> 1. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) except
> for one (1) IE window.
>
> 2. Go to Windows Update website http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> 3. Select CUSTOM and scan
>
> 4. If KB944533 is offered, check/select it
>
> 5. If any other Critical updates are offered, check/select them as well
>
> 6. If IE7 is listed, uncheck/deselect it then hide it
>
> 7. Open Optional Updates in left-hand menu
>
> 8. If KB946627 is listed, check/select it
>
> 9. Click on INSTALL UPDATES and follow all prompts.
>
> If the problem persists after you've rebooted, please post the complete
> error message shown when IE crashes (if any).
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> isky11 wrote:
> > I had a problem from about Christmas time following a windows uodate -
> > took
> > me ages to find this as the cause - I think the problem was a windows
> > security patch. I have IE6 and Windows XP (SP2). I do have windows
> > automatic
> > updates turned on.
> >
> > The fix (Ithink) may have come from a subsequny windows update.
> >
> > Now I find I have the same problem - I think this came following the
> > Windows
> > update on Tuesday 26 Feb. I can log in and start browsing then the system
> > closes down for no reason! I find that if I do a system restore (in safe
> > mode) to 24/25 Feb all is well - but when the updates are taken the
> > problem
> > returns straight away!
> >
> > Any advice? will Windows isssue a fix to this update - what am I to do - I
> > could turn offf auto updates but doesn't this leave me exposed?
> >
> > Regads
> > BoaT>

Hello, and thx for the advice so far - but any more suggestions or help!!
See thread for details : http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=924084
I tried PA Bear [MS MVP] solution - sort of...in that KB944533 was already
resident and in play on my PC so I deleted it via Control Panel and followed
the steps 1 thru 9. Still getting the problems. I am also now having problems
recovering pre the windows update with system restore, which had been working
when I went back to 24 Feb. 2008. I hace tried so have tried going further
back to about 21 Feb. 2008 but it seems to keep on falling over, and when I
log out I advice the close down routine not to install waiting updates (I
presume this includes he one causing me problems).

When I uninstalled KB944533 it did say that a previous patch may no longer
work, along with "Last fm" which is software I have loaded on my machine -
but as I immediately updated with KB944533 I thought this wouldn't
specifically be a problem.

I am really concerned about this problem - last time it took weeks to sort
out - TBH I don't even know how it was sorted out!! - was it a further follow
up windows patch?

So any suggestions - should I uninstall last fm - is that at the route of
things - if yes do I simply do this via control panel? Is thee something else
I should try? Should I move to IE7 (even though I don't really like it and
(some) colleagues tell me to avoid it. Should I experiment with another
browser _ Firefox? I've never used anything other than windows but this is
getting me down...and I'm desperate (ish)!

any help would be appreciated.
BoaT
P.S There is never an error message when the system goes down. It either
goes straight to a black screen (No signal going to sleep) or the screen
freezes.

isky11 wrote:
> [...]

> out - TBH I don't even know how it was sorted out!! - was it a further
> follow up windows patch?
>
> So any suggestions - should I uninstall last fm - is that at the route of
> things - if yes do I simply do this via control panel? Is thee something
> else I should try? Should I move to IE7 (even though I don't really like
> it
> and (some) colleagues tell me to avoid it. Should I experiment with
> another
> browser _ Firefox? I've never used anything other than windows but this is
> getting me down...and I'm desperate (ish)!
>
> any help would be appreciated.
> BoaT
> P.S There is never an error message when the system goes down. It either
> goes straight to a black screen (No signal going to sleep) or the screen

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=924084 is simply a mirror of
this thread, BoaT.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

isky11

Re: Windows update causing crashes?
PA Bear - my thx for the effort and counsel so far - my nightmare continues
as before. things are difficult with my home PC right now as I can't get on
line to try some of the stuff suggested in your last post. I can't even use
sytem restore which seemed to be having some effect previously...

However. last night I decided to reinstall all 13 Windows update that I had
previously uninstalled and managed then to get on-line for a while. following
the Windows updates I got an error message concerning something stuck in a
thread and an error code? The solution was to 1) Get the latest video driver
or 2) via control panel, display, click settings, advanced and move the
slider from max to min acceleration? I'm paraphrasing as I'm at work.

Could it be I just need an UPDATED Driver??!! (your dealing with a ludite
here by the way!!).

typical of me I tried 2 first and that didn't seem to work. So I tried 1) I
located my navidia (?) GE Force 5500 driver on the Navida site and there was
a new release. I have tried to download but it's doesn't seem to be wothking
properly....

to be fiar the site mentioned the download might not be succssful if you
have virus protection and that you should switch this off when downloading?!!
Well I don't know how to and took a chance! (Can you belief this stuff!)
Anyway I have AVG and also Windows defender both switched on (I think)
wondered if you had a view on my latest pathetic attempt to fix my problem?
Is it simply a driver issue? have I scewed up the down load...could you tell
me step by step how to proceed etc....
thanks yet again for any help / support
regards
BoaT

P.S system contines to fall over and I keep getting a message about the
Driver saying click the desktop, properties,display advanced etc -- but this
doenn't seem to do anything and I keeping getting this now vert=ytime I try
it ---Confused , i am!

--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> this thread, BoaT.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

We'd need the complete (verbatim) error message(s) to assist you, I'm
afraid. I'd recommend taking the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop. Good luck.
--
~PA Bear