Mysterious error which no-one can explain!

Alex.

Mysterious error which no-one can explain!
I keep getting offered a new `available update`:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).

I've already installed it, but it keeps popping up as a new update, but when
I select it I get:

Failed 1 update
Error(s) found:
Code 2BC3 Get Help

But the Get Help link is no help at all. I guess I could hide this so it
doesn't show up any more, but how do I know it's actually installed properly?
Is this a bug in the Update code somewhere? It's a little confusing. Why
mention a code which doesn't exist on the internet or anywhere?

Re: Mysterious error which no-one can explain!

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Alex. wrote:
> I keep getting offered a new `available update`:
>
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
>
> I've already installed it, but it keeps popping up as a new update, but
> when
> I select it I get:
>
> Failed 1 update
> Error(s) found:
> Code 2BC3 Get Help
>
> But the Get Help link is no help at all. I guess I could hide this so it
> doesn't show up any more, but how do I know it's actually installed
> properly? Is this a bug in the Update code somewhere? It's a little
> confusing. Why mention a code which doesn't exist on the internet or
> anywhere?

Amber

RE: Mysterious error which no-one can explain!
Alex Im having the same problem and its driving me crazy. How do hide the
update because just when i think its hid it comes back....

"Alex." wrote:

> I keep getting offered a new `available update`:
>
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
>
> I've already installed it, but it keeps popping up as a new update, but when
> I select it I get:
>
> Failed 1 update
> Error(s) found:
> Code 2BC3 Get Help
>
> But the Get Help link is no help at all. I guess I could hide this so it
> doesn't show up any more, but how do I know it's actually installed properly?
> Is this a bug in the Update code somewhere? It's a little confusing. Why
> mention a code which doesn't exist on the internet or anywhere?

realcestmoi

Re: Mysterious error which no-one can explain!
Hi there,

Go to the windows update site and look for the update, unmark the check box
for hiding it.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alex Im having the same problem and its driving me crazy. How do hide
> the
> update because just when i think its hid it comes back....
>
> "Alex." wrote:
>
>> I keep getting offered a new `available update`:
>>
>> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
>>
>> I've already installed it, but it keeps popping up as a new update, but
>> when
>> I select it I get:
>>
>> Failed 1 update
>> Error(s) found:
>> Code 2BC3 Get Help
>>
>> But the Get Help link is no help at all. I guess I could hide this so it
>> doesn't show up any more, but how do I know it's actually installed
>> properly?
>> Is this a bug in the Update code somewhere? It's a little confusing.
>> Why
>> mention a code which doesn't exist on the internet or anywhere?

Jane Hewitt

Re: Mysterious error which no-one can explain!
That does not work for me. Everybpdy has sense enough tp uncheck th download
box.

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Go to the windows update site and look for the update, unmark the check box
> for hiding it.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alex Im having the same problem and its driving me crazy. How do hide
> > the
> > update because just when i think its hid it comes back....
> >
> > "Alex." wrote:
> >
> >> I keep getting offered a new `available update`:
> >>
> >> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
> >>
> >> I've already installed it, but it keeps popping up as a new update, but
> >> when
> >> I select it I get:
> >>
> >> Failed 1 update
> >> Error(s) found:
> >> Code 2BC3 Get Help
> >>
> >> But the Get Help link is no help at all. I guess I could hide this so it
> >> doesn't show up any more, but how do I know it's actually installed
> >> properly?
> >> Is this a bug in the Update code somewhere? It's a little confusing.
> >> Why
> >> mention a code which doesn't exist on the internet or anywhere?

Vinh

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 Installation Error Code 2
I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever get your issue resolved?
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
Failed 1 update
Error(s) found:
Code 2BC3

OS: Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 (Hyper-V)
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 Installation Error Code 2
(cross-post added to SQL Server Setup)
"Vinh" <Vinh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever get your issue resolved?
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB 921896).
> Failed 1 update
> Error(s) found:
> Code 2BC3

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">E:\>
set /a c = 0x2BC3
11203
E:\>net helpmsg %c%
11203 is not a valid Windows network message number.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3871.
</cmd_output>

Does having SQL installed gives you something different for: net helpmsg 11203

See if poster Alex_Rue's solution helps you:

https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet...5823&SiteID=17

(Live Search for
11203 SQL site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
we just had the same issue and solved it by restricting the possible onwers
of the sql server ressource to the new node. Then the sp2 did not check
the already patched old node and installed successfully.
</quote>

> OS: Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 (Hyper-V)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Vinh

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 Installation Error Co
Thanks for the quick post, Robert. I will check this out in the morning and
post the results since my brain is currently burnt and I do not want to get
sloppy executing SQL statements.

Thanks again for the advise.

Vinh
Vinh

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 Installation Error Co
In my case, the cause was an imcomplete installation (via Windows Update) of
SQL 2005 x64 SP2. It left mixed versions of my SQL components. When I
downloaded the service pack and executed it, I was notified that certain
modules were already patched:
These product instances MSSQLSERVER have been patched with more recent
updates:
Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER)
Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)
Notification Services
Client Components

The work around was quite simple:
1.) Download the SQL 2005 x64 SP2:
2.)The SQL components that were already updated sere exclude in the list of
items to update. If you can't select an item, it has already been update.
Complete the install.

Vinh