Failure to install KB938371

Willem Overbeeke

Failure to install KB938371
I'm running VISTA Ultimate on Intel Dual Core.

I'm aware that this topic has been referenced in a number of earlier
threads, but, to avoid confusion, allow me to succinctly describe my
particular instance:

During the original February Patch exercise I was able to install KB937287
OK, without going into the infinite reboot loop, and I left it installed (in
line with the recommendations).

However, KB938371 failed. It downloaded OK, initially installed OK, but
during the shutdown/restart:
- It performed "configuring updates, stage 1 and 2" OK
- it rebooted
- it performed "configuring updates, stage 3" OK
- it then stated: "updates not installed correctly. Reversing...
- it shut down again
- it came up with Restart Repair, which ended OK
- it rebooted once more, again with the message "updates not installed
correctly. Reversing..."
- it continued the start-up OK
- WAU came up with "update failed".

I have already tried installing KB938371 stand-alone as suggested in other
threads, with all "disables" in place (even going one step further and
disabling all non
MS-services at system startup. However, the result was the same.

For the rest my system is running smoothly and has been stable for a
considerable time, so I do not really see any indication of a VISTA
corruption.

Any further suggestions would be most welcome

Re: Failure to install KB938371
Additional information/background as stated by Willem in our private
exchanges:

=> Willem has not been able to install either of the most recent Cumulative
Security Updates for IE; cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-8b2f389b76db
and
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...f-f6040760a611

=> Willem is running Zone Alarm Security Suite and has not been willing to
uninstall it, even temporarily, as a diagnostic step.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Willem Overbeeke wrote:
> I'm running VISTA Ultimate on Intel Dual Core.
>
> I'm aware that this topic has been referenced in a number of earlier
> threads, but, to avoid confusion, allow me to succinctly describe my
> particular instance:
>
> During the original February Patch exercise I was able to install KB937287
> OK, without going into the infinite reboot loop, and I left it installed
> (in
> line with the recommendations).
>
> However, KB938371 failed. It downloaded OK, initially installed OK, but
> during the shutdown/restart:
> - It performed "configuring updates, stage 1 and 2" OK
> - it rebooted
> - it performed "configuring updates, stage 3" OK
> - it then stated: "updates not installed correctly. Reversing...
> - it shut down again
> - it came up with Restart Repair, which ended OK
> - it rebooted once more, again with the message "updates not installed
> correctly. Reversing..."
> - it continued the start-up OK
> - WAU came up with "update failed".
>
> I have already tried installing KB938371 stand-alone as suggested in other
> threads, with all "disables" in place (even going one step further and
> disabling all non
> MS-services at system startup. However, the result was the same.
>
> For the rest my system is running smoothly and has been stable for a
> considerable time, so I do not really see any indication of a VISTA
> corruption.
>
> Any further suggestions would be most welcome

Willem Overbeeke

Re: Failure to install KB938371
Just a small, but possibly significant correction: I DID try the update with
ZA uninstalled. There was no difference.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Additional information/background as stated by Willem in our private
> exchanges:
>
> => Willem has not been able to install either of the most recent Cumulative
> Security Updates for IE; cf.
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-8b2f389b76db
> and
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...f-f6040760a611
>
> => Willem is running Zone Alarm Security Suite and has not been willing to
> uninstall it, even temporarily, as a diagnostic step.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Willem Overbeeke wrote:
> > I'm running VISTA Ultimate on Intel Dual Core.
> >
> > I'm aware that this topic has been referenced in a number of earlier
> > threads, but, to avoid confusion, allow me to succinctly describe my
> > particular instance:
> >
> > During the original February Patch exercise I was able to install KB937287
> > OK, without going into the infinite reboot loop, and I left it installed
> > (in
> > line with the recommendations).
> >
> > However, KB938371 failed. It downloaded OK, initially installed OK, but
> > during the shutdown/restart:
> > - It performed "configuring updates, stage 1 and 2" OK
> > - it rebooted
> > - it performed "configuring updates, stage 3" OK
> > - it then stated: "updates not installed correctly. Reversing...
> > - it shut down again
> > - it came up with Restart Repair, which ended OK
> > - it rebooted once more, again with the message "updates not installed
> > correctly. Reversing..."
> > - it continued the start-up OK
> > - WAU came up with "update failed".
> >
> > I have already tried installing KB938371 stand-alone as suggested in other
> > threads, with all "disables" in place (even going one step further and
> > disabling all non
> > MS-services at system startup. However, the result was the same.
> >
> > For the rest my system is running smoothly and has been stable for a
> > considerable time, so I do not really see any indication of a VISTA
> > corruption.
> >
> > Any further suggestions would be most welcome

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your problem maybe because you installed KB937287 with other updates in the same session and for some reasons not clear messes up install updates on some machines and especially KB938371. You cannot uninstall KB937287 but you can possibly do a system restore prior to its installtion date. If so download the standalones for both. Install KB937287 first (no reboot required) then install KB938371 and reboot. I had the same problem until I read the article below and it worked perfectly. I also went offline, disabled anti-virus, windows firewall and browser prior to installing to be on the safe side.

The article that set me on to this :
In what is hopefully not a harbinger of bad tidings for Vista SP1 itself, Microsoft product manager Nick White announced in the Windows Vista blog on Feb. 19 that patch 937287 was being pulled from distribution due to the issues it was causing on some machines.

You can prevent the reboot problem from occurring by installing patch 937287 separately, not at the same time as any other updates. Several people have been able to fix affected machines by rolling Windows back to an earlier restore point, and then installing 937287 manually. This procedure has been described in Joaquim Anguas's blog.

To obtain 937287 and install it separately, you should visit Microsoft's official Download Center to get the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version.
End Quote
Willem Overbeeke

Re: Failure to install KB938371
Dear Tunkytoy,

Unfortunately that option is not open to me. As part of the site policy on
Wednesday every week an assessment of system stability is performed, and, if
satisfactory, all but the latest restore points are deleted.

So, my only recourse would be to security backups, but then I face the
problem of re-installing whatever else was installed after KB937287 + all
other registry changes. This, at the moment at least, I deem a
disproportional effort. I hope there will be another way of getting KB938371
on board. After all, a lot of people who DID install KB937827 WERE successful
in installing KB938171 as well.

Further advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

"TUNKYTOY" wrote:

> Your problem maybe because you installed KB937287 with other updates in
> the same session and for some reasons not clear messes up install
> updates on some machines and especially KB938371. You cannot uninstall
> KB937287 but you can possibly do a system restore prior to its
> installtion date. If so download the standalones for both. Install
> KB937287 first (no reboot required) then install KB938371 and reboot. I
> had the same problem until I read the article below and it worked
> perfectly. I also went offline, disabled anti-virus, windows firewall
> and browser prior to installing to be on the safe side.
>
> The article that set me on to this :
> In what is hopefully not a harbinger of bad tidings for Vista SP1
> itself, Microsoft product manager Nick White announced in the Windows
> Vista blog on Feb. 19 that patch 937287 was being pulled from
> distribution due to the issues it was causing on some machines.
>
> You can prevent the reboot problem from occurring by installing patch
> 937287 separately, not at the same time as any other updates. Several
> people have been able to fix affected machines by rolling Windows back
> to an earlier restore point, and then installing 937287 manually. This
> procedure has been described in Joaquim Anguas's blog.
>
> To obtain 937287 and install it separately, you should visit
> Microsoft's official Download Center to get the 32-bit version or the
> 64-bit version.
> End Quote
>

> --
> TUNKYTOY

Grzyb [1000174]

Re: Failure to install KB938371
I too am in a similar predicament, ALL other Updates Install Fine, only
problem with KB938371, Before I realised what was happening, ALL my other
restore points were "overwritten" So I can't go back & try out the things
mentioned below....In WindowsXP the only thing preventing carrying out a
System Restore was the available amount of space given to the system
restore, so you could have restore points say weeks or even months
previously,

With Vista after KB938371 continually saved restore points, after about 15
attempts to Install, No restore points were visible "before" the 12th
February, even though it was only the 15th February!!!!! I wish MS would
give the option to create a restore point or NOT!!!!

If MS know that some problems exist with certain updates, why "Roll" them
out all at the same time!!!!!!

What is the point telling people NOW to install these updates seperately &
via a standalone Installation, when you know certain people will have
problems!!!!! I have my system setup to Automatically Download & Install
Updates just like MS recommend....Are you now saying that I shouldn't, as
Updates even from MS can't be trusted to perform as they should do???

Just my 2 cents worth....

Sorry to hijack your thread

Regards

Grzyb
"Willem Overbeeke" <WillemOverbeeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A6C558C6-16E6-498E-9100-D266C47C8EEE@microsoft.com...
> Dear Tunkytoy,
>
> Unfortunately that option is not open to me. As part of the site policy on
> Wednesday every week an assessment of system stability is performed, and,
> if
> satisfactory, all but the latest restore points are deleted.
>
> So, my only recourse would be to security backups, but then I face the
> problem of re-installing whatever else was installed after KB937287 + all
> other registry changes. This, at the moment at least, I deem a
> disproportional effort. I hope there will be another way of getting
> KB938371
> on board. After all, a lot of people who DID install KB937827 WERE
> successful
> in installing KB938171 as well.
>
> Further advice would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>

> "TUNKYTOY" wrote:
>

>> Your problem maybe because you installed KB937287 with other updates in
>> the same session and for some reasons not clear messes up install
>> updates on some machines and especially KB938371. You cannot uninstall
>> KB937287 but you can possibly do a system restore prior to its
>> installtion date. If so download the standalones for both. Install
>> KB937287 first (no reboot required) then install KB938371 and reboot. I
>> had the same problem until I read the article below and it worked
>> perfectly. I also went offline, disabled anti-virus, windows firewall
>> and browser prior to installing to be on the safe side.
>>
>> The article that set me on to this :
>> In what is hopefully not a harbinger of bad tidings for Vista SP1
>> itself, Microsoft product manager Nick White announced in the Windows
>> Vista blog on Feb. 19 that patch 937287 was being pulled from
>> distribution due to the issues it was causing on some machines.
>>
>> You can prevent the reboot problem from occurring by installing patch
>> 937287 separately, not at the same time as any other updates. Several
>> people have been able to fix affected machines by rolling Windows back
>> to an earlier restore point, and then installing 937287 manually. This
>> procedure has been described in Joaquim Anguas's blog.
>>
>> To obtain 937287 and install it separately, you should visit
>> Microsoft's official Download Center to get the 32-bit version or the
>> 64-bit version.
>> End Quote
>>

>> --
>> TUNKYTOY

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Willem,
Can understand your frustration, and nobody seems to have an answer to your problem, and as GRZYB says the multiple number of attempts to install overwrites the System Restore anyway. I now backup the registry before installing updates with a small program called ERUNT ( your have to disable UAC for both backup and restore) and install each update one at a time. This is a pain but it does ensure that if an update fails I can download the standalone or revert back the registry with ERUNT. I never trusted Automatic Update for installing the monthly multiple updates, I set it to Notify and install one at a time. Those updates that don't require a reboot always install OK. It's the ones that require a reboot that a percentage sometimes fail.

I hope Microsoft gets a handle soon on so many problems that Vista has had in many areas and SP1 release cures most of them. Good Luck
Robert Aldwinckle

> Additional information/background as stated by Willem in our private
> exchanges:
>
> => Willem has not been able to install either of the most recent Cumulative
> Security Updates for IE; cf.
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-8b2f389b76db
> and
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...f-f6040760a611
>
> => Willem is running Zone Alarm Security Suite and has not been willing to
> uninstall it, even temporarily, as a diagnostic step.

Thanks, Robear. Looks like I already gave him my pitch too... <eg>

Robert
---

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Failure to install KB938371
Hello
Can you send the following files?
%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
%windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
%windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
%windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
%windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
%windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
%windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Compress them into a zip file before sending or mutliple zip files.
The largest file size I think I can get is 6 meg but these are text file so
they compress pretty well
Remove the word online from the email address darrellg@online.microsoft.com
when you send to me.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGVtIE92ZXJiZWVrZQ==?=
<WillemOverbeeke@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Failure to install KB938371
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:34:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

"TUNKYTOY" wrote:

> Your problem maybe because you installed KB937287 with other updates in
> the same session and for some reasons not clear messes up install
> updates on some machines and especially KB938371. You cannot uninstall
> KB937287 but you can possibly do a system restore prior to its
> installtion date. If so download the standalones for both. Install
> KB937287 first (no reboot required) then install KB938371 and reboot. I
> had the same problem until I read the article below and it worked
> perfectly. I also went offline, disabled anti-virus, windows firewall
> and browser prior to installing to be on the safe side.
>
> The article that set me on to this :
> In what is hopefully not a harbinger of bad tidings for Vista SP1
> itself, Microsoft product manager Nick White announced in the Windows
> Vista blog on Feb. 19 that patch 937287 was being pulled from
> distribution due to the issues it was causing on some machines.
>
> You can prevent the reboot problem from occurring by installing patch
> 937287 separately, not at the same time as any other updates. Several
> people have been able to fix affected machines by rolling Windows back
> to an earlier restore point, and then installing 937287 manually. This
> procedure has been described in Joaquim Anguas's blog.
>
> To obtain 937287 and install it separately, you should visit
> Microsoft's official Download Center to get the 32-bit version or the
> 64-bit version.
> End Quote
>

> --
> TUNKYTOY

DeBrock

Re: Failure to install KB938371
HELP!!

I still can't get this KB93827 to install. I have tried the manual load
shutting down internet, firewall and spam software and still the messages.
What is being done to help people that simply want this to be fixed?