Windows Update stopped working, causing errors instead

Henkvs

Windows Update stopped working, causing errors instead
I have a Packard Bell laptop with Vista Home Basic (Dutch language version)
preinstalled. Since last january the Windows Update function does not work
anymore: new updates are downloaded allright (so there are no connection or
WGA verification problems), but these updates _all_ fail halfway the actual
installation process. When aborting the installations, Windows Update may
show different error codes. For example, installing KB905866 aborts with
error code 800B0100, while installing KB943899 aborts with error code
800700002. When trying to install updates manually, they will all fail as
well.
Of course I tried the basic MS advices for failing updates, like first
removing the content of the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folders (Datastore,
Download), but so far nothing has helped to solve the problem. Not even
restoring to an older System Restore point.
In my error logs I now have a very long list of failure reports caused by
failing updates, and the individual reports basically all look the same, like
this:
---------------
WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2
Signature problem
Event name: WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2
OsVersion: 6.0.6000
File: base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp
Function: Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation:irectFileSyst emProvider::SysCreateFile
Line: 1461
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Country-id: 1043
Bucket-id: 11996833
---------------
However, I have no idea what kind of "signature problem" these reports are
referring to, and on my harddisk I could not find the
"base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp" file mentioned in these reports.
Does someone have a clue what might be wrong here, and how I should get
Windows Update working again? Thanks!
Henk

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update stopped working, causing errors instead
Since last January as in January '07 or last month ?
IF any of the updates that failed were Security updates then you are
entitled to no-charge support for issues with them. This Sec update is
for Vista and came out in February:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-004 – Important
Vulnerability in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Denial of Service (946456)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-004.mspx

> International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is
> no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to
> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

Not sure if the phone call is free, but call in and report that KB946456
will neither download
nor install.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY