Curious install for KB940510 Update for Windows Vista

Dave Horne

Curious install for KB940510 Update for Windows Vista
Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. It went fine.

I turned off the computer and later turned it on. Upon start up I rec'd a
promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few hoops.

Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. I then was prompted
by WU that there was an update to be had.

So, _again_ I installed KB940510.

If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.

What happened? Am I alone here? Just wondering. Thanks,DH

R. Berger

Re: Curious install for KB940510 Update for Windows Vista
I've also seen some strange behavior since this update was installed.
Not the same as you did, but Windows Explorer seems to keep crashing
and restarting, randomly.

On Feb 28, 7:46*am, "Dave Horne" <daveho...@home.nl> wrote:
> Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. *It went fine.
>
> I turned off the computer and later turned it on. *Upon start up I rec'da
> promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few hoops.
>
> Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. *I then was prompted
> by WU that there was an update to be had.
>
> So, _again_ I installed KB940510.
>
> If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
> successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.
>
> What happened? *Am I alone here? *Just wondering. *Thanks,DH

Dave Horne

Re: Curious install for KB940510 Update for Windows Vista
I probably should have also added that I have the SP1 RC installed. I have
no idea if that has anything to do with anything though.

"R. Berger" <roybrew@att.net> wrote in message
I've also seen some strange behavior since this update was installed.
Not the same as you did, but Windows Explorer seems to keep crashing
and restarting, randomly.

On Feb 28, 7:46 am, "Dave Horne" <daveho...@home.nl> wrote:
> Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. It went fine.
>
> I turned off the computer and later turned it on. Upon start up I rec'd a
> promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few hoops.
>
> Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. I then was prompted
> by WU that there was an update to be had.
>
> So, _again_ I installed KB940510.
>
> If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
> successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.
>
> What happened? Am I alone here? Just wondering. Thanks,DH

Dave T.

Dave Horne wrote:
> Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. It went fine.
>
> I turned off the computer and later turned it on. Upon start up I rec'd
> a promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few hoops.
>
> Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. I then was
> prompted by WU that there was an update to be had.
>
> So, _again_ I installed KB940510.
>
> If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
> successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.
>
> What happened? Am I alone here? Just wondering. Thanks,DH

I have been holding on to that update just to see how things would shake
out. If I read it right, it's another WGA. It wants to look at your
software, and if it sees something it doesn't like, it will shut you
down. I can foresee lots of problems with this update. Any MVP's care to
jump in on this one?

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Dave Horne

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. It went fine.
>>
>> I turned off the computer and later turned it on. Upon start up I rec'd
>> a promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few
>> hoops.
>>
>> Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. I then was
>> prompted by WU that there was an update to be had.
>>
>> So, _again_ I installed KB940510.
>>
>> If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
>> successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.
>>
>> What happened? Am I alone here? Just wondering. Thanks,DH

> I have been holding on to that update just to see how things would shake
> out. If I read it right, it's another WGA. It wants to look at your
> software, and if it sees something it doesn't like, it will shut you down.
> I can foresee lots of problems with this update. Any MVP's care to jump in
> on this one?
>
> --
> Dave T.

It turns out even if I wanted to uninstall this update, I can't - it's not
listed where one goes to uninstall updates.

Dave Horne wrote:
>>> Last night I installed Update for Windows Vista KB940510. It went fine.
>>>
>>> I turned off the computer and later turned it on. Upon start up I rec'd
>>> a promt that Windows was unable to start and I jumped through a few
>>> hoops.
>>>
>>> Ultimately everythign was fine and Windows started up. I then was
>>> prompted by WU that there was an update to be had.
>>>
>>> So, _again_ I installed KB940510.
>>>
>>> If I look in Installed Updates, I see two instances of KB940510 being
>>> successfully installed - one on 2-27 and the other on 2-28.
>>>
>>> What happened? Am I alone here? Just wondering. Thanks,DH

>> I have been holding on to that update just to see how things would shake
>> out. If I read it right, it's another WGA. It wants to look at your
>> software, and if it sees something it doesn't like, it will shut you
>> down.
>> I can foresee lots of problems with this update. Any MVP's care to jump
>> in
>> on this one?
>>

> It turns out even if I wanted to uninstall this update, I can't - it's not
> listed where one goes to uninstall updates.

No, it cannot be uninstalled.

All is as stated in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940510.

KB 940510 is related to & kind of an automated version of
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948253
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave T.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> No, it cannot be uninstalled.
>
> All is as stated in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940510.
>
> KB 940510 is related to & kind of an automated version of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948253

So can I assume that if I am not running pirate software I don't need
this, and if I am running pirate software I don't want this?

Dave T. wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> No, it cannot be uninstalled.
>>
>> All is as stated in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940510.
>>
>> KB 940510 is related to & kind of an automated version of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948253

> So can I assume that if I am not running pirate software I don't need
> this, and if I am running pirate software I don't want this?

YMMV. This same behavior/policy is included with the install of Vista SP1,
IIRC.