Another Windows Update 8024402F failure

BarneyM

Another Windows Update 8024402F failure
I am running Vista Ultimate and on 02/05/08 windows update stopped
functioning. Any attempt results in the 8024402F error message.

I've spent five straight days on google, microsoft, and every other source
and seem to be moving backwards on the problem rapidly.

Some of the items I've tried:
1) Various stop/start solutions around BITS and Update service, including
blowing away all of its history.
2) Eliminated all routers, firewalls, etc. from my environment.
3) Added/removed/readded trusted relationships with all of the various
microsoft sites.
4) Attempted update through proxy server.
5) Performed a system recovery (not reinstall, just repair)
6) Attempted to set system back to date prior to failure.

I can also see the detailed messages in the windowsupdate.log and the
specific line where things start going wrong is:

2008-02-27 21:28:51:080 1032 ff0 PT WARNING: ECP: Failed to validate cab
file digest downloaded from
http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...0e9879cf.ca b with error 0x8009001d

(I've done extensive search on the 8009001d message and it leads to the same
places as the 8024402F)

Having just finished six months of getting the system back up to spec with
all of my software, the last thing I want is to start over again. Although I
have extensive backups, the problem seems to be fundamental to the operating
system as restoring backups does not work.

I have discovered an interesting new twist which I have also come up
completely empty on.

Due to the extensive work over the last several days, I uncovered an obscure
error with the file: c:\windows\system32\dssenh.dll, where windows is
reporting that the hash of the file is incorrect and the file is corrupted.

I can absolutely confirm, within the abilities I have to test, that the file
is in fact perfectly fine. A hash using 3rd party tools against another
Vista install shows the file to be identical.

I also ran the SFC tool to scan and repair the file, but it reported no
problems. I am only seeing the error in the Event Viewer.

I'm running out of options and any input would be appreciated.

Barney
TaurArian

Re: Another Windows Update 8024402F failure
Suggest now that you start a free Windows Update support incident request:

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm