Vista windows update failure

vista update blues

Vista windows update failure
keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
fails........
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista windows update failure
Go here: Microsoft Malware Protection Center
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

In the right frame under ' Latest Definition Updates ', click the
appropriate link for the Version of Vista installed and SAVE the
definitions.
Close the browser and any other open programs.
Right click mpas-fe.exe [or, mpas-fex64.exe] and choose 'Run as
administrator', follow any UAC prompts.
Did that get it installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

vista update blues wrote:

> keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
> and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
> running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
> fails........

vista update blues

"vista update blues" wrote:

> keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
> and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
> running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
> fails........

Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista windows update failure
8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
something to do with Norton AV.
IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
Version 2.

When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
disabled including all Services of it, too ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

vista update blues wrote:

> "vista update blues" wrote:
>

>>keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
>>and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
>>running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
>>fails........

> Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
> however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

vista update blues

Re: Vista windows update failure
yes i completely stopped nav and all symantec services (update did work with
nav running for the past year, this error message first appeared sunday the
24th. no other new software has been added previously to the error message
thatmicrosoft doesn't seem to recognize either see help dialogue text below

24 results for WindowsUpdate_8007370B WindowsUpdate_dt000
1. 1 Windows Update error 8024402C
2. 2 Windows Update error 800f020b
3. 3 Windows Update error 80070103
4. 4 Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
5. 5 Windows Update error 80070002
6. 6 Windows Update error 80070643
7. 7 Windows Update error 80072ee2
8. 8 Windows Update error 80070003
9. 9 Windows Update error 80072efd
10. 10 Windows Update error 80072f8f
11. 11 Windows Update error 8024001b
12. 12 Windows Update error 8007000b
13. 13 Windows Update error 80246007
14. 14 Windows Update error 1
15. 15 Windows Update error 80200010
16. 16 Windows Update error 2
17. 17 Windows Update error 80070422
18. 18 Windows Update error 80244022
19. 19 Windows Update error 80246005
20. 20 Windows Update error 8024401b
21. 21 Windows Update error 80246008
22. 22 Windows Update error 800f0826
23. 23 Windows Update error 8024001F
24. 24 Windows Update error 800f0828

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
> The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
>
> I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
> it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
> But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
> something to do with Norton AV.
> IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
> Version 2.
>
> When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
> disabled including all Services of it, too ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> vista update blues wrote:
>

> > "vista update blues" wrote:
> >

> >>keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
> >>and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
> >>running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
> >>fails........

> > Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
> > however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
> > Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

M13

Re: Vista windows update failure
Well you'd be wrong, I have the same error code and I've never had Norton on
this machine. Just been using OneCare.

Any other ideas?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
> The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
>
> I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
> it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
> But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
> something to do with Norton AV.
> IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
> Version 2.
>
> When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
> disabled including all Services of it, too ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> vista update blues wrote:
>

> > "vista update blues" wrote:
> >

> >>keep getting error code 8007370B after trying to update windows defender
> >>and/or vista premium. I can find no details on this code. update service is
> >>running. i've tried with norton antivirus running and turned off update still
> >>fails........

> > Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
> > however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
> > Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

Re: Vista windows update failure
[Out of the frying pan & into the fire.]

M13 wrote:
> Well you'd be wrong, I have the same error code and I've never had Norton
> on
> this machine. Just been using OneCare.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
>> The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
>>
>> I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
>> it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
>> But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
>> something to do with Norton AV.
>> IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
>> Version 2.
>>
>> When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
>> disabled including all Services of it, too ?
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> vista update blues wrote:

>>> Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
>>> however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s
>>> is Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista windows update failure
And, specfically, what is OneCare's track record when it comes to
Windows updates/ malware protection/ system maintenance/ and
compatibility with other software ?
Apparently you missed this:

> I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen it in my 7-8 years of
> participation in this newsgroup.

How long have you been assisting people in the newsgroup, what does the
8007370B error code signify, and how is it resolved ?

You haven't even bothered posting which OS is installed thus, the only
recourse is to contact MS or provide more details so that someone can
assist you.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

M13 wrote:

> Well you'd be wrong, I have the same error code and I've never had Norton on
> this machine. Just been using OneCare.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
>>The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
>>
>>I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
>>it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
>>But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
>>something to do with Norton AV.
>>IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
>>Version 2.
>>
>>When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
>>disabled including all Services of it, too ?
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>vista update blues wrote:

>>>Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
>>>however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
>>>Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista windows update failure
I don't work for Microsoft and am aware of the publically available list
of Vista update error codes -
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...pdate+error%22

They are woefully lacking, to put it mildly.
I can only offer quasi-educated guesses when it comes to 8007370B.

> 8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
> The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

Perhaps there is file corruption in the WinSxS subfolder; perhaps the
identity reference is a Cryptography issue; perhaps NAV caused the
corruption issue in WinSxS but it occurred over a period of time rather
than all at once.
Perhaps Vista is brittle when it comes to swapping out files stored in
WinSxS and self corrupts itself.
One thing I do know ... NAV is not reliable enough to be used in
conjunction with any version of Windows and can/will do more harm than good.

As a first step all I can recommend is to boot to the Windows Repair
Environment or System Repair and see if that can resolve the updating
issue. Then configure NAV *NOT* to scan nor monitor -

WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
WINDOWS\WinSxS

Since I do not run Vista on any of my systems any recommendation I can
give you is second hand knowledge garnered from other MVPs, Vista Users
such as yourself in this newsgroup, articles/blogs by folks who have
resolved updating issues/error codes, and *tiny* drips of info that MS
passes on to MVPs.
Sorry.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

vista update blues wrote:

> yes i completely stopped nav and all symantec services (update did work with
> nav running for the past year, this error message first appeared sunday the
> 24th. no other new software has been added previously to the error message
> thatmicrosoft doesn't seem to recognize either see help dialogue text below
>
> 24 results for WindowsUpdate_8007370B WindowsUpdate_dt000
> 1. 1 Windows Update error 8024402C
> 2. 2 Windows Update error 800f020b
> 3. 3 Windows Update error 80070103
> 4. 4 Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
> 5. 5 Windows Update error 80070002
> 6. 6 Windows Update error 80070643
> 7. 7 Windows Update error 80072ee2
> 8. 8 Windows Update error 80070003
> 9. 9 Windows Update error 80072efd
> 10. 10 Windows Update error 80072f8f
> 11. 11 Windows Update error 8024001b
> 12. 12 Windows Update error 8007000b
> 13. 13 Windows Update error 80246007
> 14. 14 Windows Update error 1
> 15. 15 Windows Update error 80200010
> 16. 16 Windows Update error 2
> 17. 17 Windows Update error 80070422
> 18. 18 Windows Update error 80244022
> 19. 19 Windows Update error 80246005
> 20. 20 Windows Update error 8024401b
> 21. 21 Windows Update error 80246008
> 22. 22 Windows Update error 800f0826
> 23. 23 Windows Update error 8024001F
> 24. 24 Windows Update error 800f0828
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>8007370B ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME
>>The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
>>
>>I'm not quite clear on what that error code signifies as I've not seen
>>it in my 7-8 years of participation in this newsgroup.
>>But, if my intuition is correct, I'd be willing to bet that it has
>>something to do with Norton AV.
>>IMHO, Norton AV is not compatible with Windows and has not been since
>>Version 2.
>>
>>When you state that you 'turned' NAV off, was it completely and TOTALLY
>>disabled including all Services of it, too ?
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>vista update blues wrote:

>>>Thx the windows defender update worked fron the security portal site,
>>>however i still get error code 8007370B when i run windows update. o/s is
>>>Vista Ultimate 32 bit...343 always in our heart...............

eharling

Re: Vista windows update failure
Mow.

Dont know if this helps but I have the same problem and have one care, not
Norton. I am in discussions (or e-mails ) with M/S and if they come up with
an answer I will post it. None of their answers have yet however, and just to
cap it I now have a visit from MonaRonaDona - Good week hey

Ian