Vista Display AFTER update - HELP

Batmancd

Vista Display AFTER update - HELP
I logged on as normal last night, my computer told me it was doing some
updates, which it does. However, after the install Vista is not acting the
same, things seem to be in 2D, when I press the the button on the bar to have
the windows side by side it now gives me an old style center display. Also if
I hover over an open item on the task bar it now just gives the name, where
before it gave me a small screen. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix
this? It was OK until it updated last night.

Thank you,

Rojo Habe

Re: Vista Display AFTER update - HELP
Sounds like your graphics drivers were updated, and Windows Aero has
disabled itself. Open the control Panel, click 'System and Maintenance',
then click 'System'. About halfway down the page you should see "Windows
Experience Index" with a number to the left of it. If this number is grey
rather than blue you need to re-scan your system. Click the "Windows
Experience Index" link. An new page pops up: click "Update my score". When
the User Account Control message pops up, click 'Continue'. Windows will
then re-run the tests to determine if your hardware can support the Aero
interface. All being well, it should be fine and Aero should be restored.
This being the case, do not bother reading the rest of this post.

If all is NOT fine, run System Restore to return your computer to the state
is was in before the update. Click the Start button and type 'system
restore' without the quotes and press Enter. Windows Update will suggest a
recommended Restore Point, which will most likely be just before the updates
were installed. Click Next to accept this and follow the instructions.
After the machine has rebooted you should be back in business. If not, run
System Restore again, this time selecting "Choose a different restore point"
and picking an earlier one.

Once you have it back as it was, you need to find out what graphics adaptor
you have and download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site.
This will stop Windows Update from trying to install its own drivers, thus
bringing you back to square one. You'll find this information in the Device
Manager. Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System as before and
click 'Device Manager' in the left-hand column. Click 'Continue' if UAC
pops up again and then when the Device Manager appears look for Display
Adapters. It should be about the third or fourth line down. Double-click
'Display Adapters' and the name of your graphics card will be revealed. If
it says NVIDIA, go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
and fill in the details it asks for. If it says ATI go to
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and do the same. Follow any
instructions to the letter.

After installing the drivers you may have to go back to the first paragraph
and re-run your Windows Experience Index in order to re-enable Aero.