WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode

fwoerndle

WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that due
to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

fwoerndle wrote:
> I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
> downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that
> due to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
> error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
> workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
Which version of Windows and which updates are you referring to ?

How to make a good newsgroup post
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm

Is it XP ? -

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

fwoerndle wrote:

> I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
> downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that due
> to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
> error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
> workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

Jay

Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
I just ran this according to the article that is linked below. It solved the
update problem but....after when Windows reboots to complete the update, I
now get a black screen, no bios screen, nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which version of Windows and which updates are you referring to ?
>
> How to make a good newsgroup post
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>
> Is it XP ? -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
> Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> fwoerndle wrote:
>
> > I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
> > downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that due
> > to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
> > error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
> > workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

Jay

Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
Nevermind, got it

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
> thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> fwoerndle wrote:
> > I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
> > downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that
> > due to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
> > error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
> > workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

Thanks for the reminder to be more specific! Unfortunately I don´t know how
to place screenshots here. Therfore a lenthy explanation in short:

Reinstalled official Windows XP SP2 on a completely running sytem due to
problems whin introducing a new grafics card (MSI NV8500GT). Then upgraded to
IE 7 and WMP 11. All worked fine. I activated automatic update then. I was
reported 81 new patches. None of them were installed. No Info why! Only the
fact that. I stopped the automatic update service, deleted the
softwaredistribution files an received the 81 patches anew. Same problem.
From the german Computerbase forum i got a 137 MB update application which
provide me with 157 updates and it worked.
Then WU reported again 4 (and today 5) new updates with the same result. Did
not install them. No info why. So here I am again. Due to not knowing how to
provide screenshots, I giv a short translation of the (german) info on the
Atomatic Update response screen:

"Some Updates could not be isntalled (headline)

The following updates had not been installed

Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Security update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
Update for windows XP (KB922891)"

End of Message!

If you can handle the above Information , it would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Fritz Woerndle from Germany.

"

fwoerndle

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which version of Windows and which updates are you referring to ?
>
> How to make a good newsgroup post
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>
> Is it XP ? -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
> Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> fwoerndle wrote:
>
> > I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
> > downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that due
> > to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
> > error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
> > workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

Hi, the hint with KB943144 was perfect. I tried it and it worked right away.
Unfortunately I wanted to work on th answerd from top to bottom. Also the
german translation of th KB-article was perfect understandable.
So the problem is gone with your help.
Tanks heaven! If it is not a hen-egg problem: why is it not possible to give
this information on a missing dll to the user directly from the update
client. It would be even better if the update software checks wether to dll
in question ist registered oe even better just registers the dll each time it
enters the process. This seemst to be a pitfall which could easily avoided. I
do not want to blame anyone. It is just a striking idea!

Regards

Fritz Woerndle
MowGreen [MVP]

fwoerndle wrote:

>>>I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
>>>downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while) that due
>>>to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
>>>error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
>>>workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

> Hi, the hint with KB943144 was perfect. I tried it and it worked right away.
> Unfortunately I wanted to work on th answerd from top to bottom. Also the
> german translation of th KB-article was perfect understandable.
> So the problem is gone with your help.
> Tanks heaven! If it is not a hen-egg problem: why is it not possible to give
> this information on a missing dll to the user directly from the update
> client. It would be even better if the update software checks wether to dll
> in question ist registered oe even better just registers the dll each time it
> enters the process. This seemst to be a pitfall which could easily avoided. I
> do not want to blame anyone. It is just a striking idea!
>
> Regards
>
> Fritz Woerndle

That's a very logical suggestion Fritz. Unfortunately, the updating
process has become extremely convoluted and illogical due to the
attempts by Microsoft to make EVERYONE happy at once.

System admins who deal with huge networks, sys admins who deal with
SMBs, the Home User, the Home Office, etc.
Now throw in Vista's 'mystical' updating process and all logic appears
to have gone out the window.
The answer is one size will *never* fit all. Everyone can not be
accommodated at once and the sooner MS realizes this [i.e. limiting
reboots to once a month as per large Enterprise requests] and reverts
back to releasing specific updates on specific days of the month WITH a
much improved trouble shooting process. the better.

The Windows Update Troubleshooter is woefully out of date for all
Versions of Windows and TOTALLY inadequate for diagnosing updating
issues in Vista. What is available for Vista is this and it also is
inadequate and is missing many of the error codes one sees posted in
this newsgroup:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...pdate+error%22

But, I digress ... <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

fwoerndle wrote:
>>> I have tried to do a Windows update. 4 updates haven been found and
>>> downloaded. When trying to install I get the message (after a while)
>>> that
>>> due to problems on my computer the updates had not been installed. No
>>> error.message, no other specifics on the problem. I tried all the known
>>> workarounds, but none worked. How can I continue from where I am?

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please see this page http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm then post back to this
>> thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you properly.
>> --

> Thanks for the reminder to be more specific! Unfortunately I don´t know
> how
> to place screenshots here. Therfore a lenthy explanation in short:
>
> Reinstalled official Windows XP SP2 on a completely running sytem due to
> problems whin introducing a new grafics card (MSI NV8500GT). Then upgraded
> to IE 7 and WMP 11. All worked fine. I activated automatic update then. I
> was reported 81 new patches. None of them were installed. No Info why!
> Only
> the fact that. I stopped the automatic update service, deleted the
> softwaredistribution files an received the 81 patches anew. Same problem.
> From the german Computerbase forum i got a 137 MB update application which
> provide me with 157 updates and it worked.
> Then WU reported again 4 (and today 5) new updates with the same result.
> Did
> not install them. No info why. So here I am again. Due to not knowing how
> provide screenshots, I giv a short translation of the (german) info on the
> Atomatic Update response screen:
>
> "Some Updates could not be isntalled (headline)
>
> The following updates had not been installed
>
> Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
> Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> Security update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
> Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
> Update for windows XP (KB922891)"
>
> End of Message!
>
> If you can handle the above Information , it would be very much
> appreciated.

I see from your later posts that KB943144 has resolved your problems.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tom

Re: WU does not install even one update and reports no errorcode
I have the exact same problem, but with 32-bit Vista ultimate