update error for KB946026

erobict

update error for KB946026
I keep getting error codes for Security Update for Windows Vista (KB946026).
Has anyone received this error and been able to fix it? Please help.

Re: update error for KB946026
What error codes? Should we guess?

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

===========================

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

erobict wrote:
> I keep getting error codes for Security Update for Windows Vista
> (KB946026).
> Has anyone received this error and been able to fix it? Please help.

erobict

Re: update error for KB946026
Error code 80073701 but no need to be nasty. This is the 1st time I used this
so not quite sure what I need to enter.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What error codes? Should we guess?
>
> =====================
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> ===========================

> Support for Windows Update:
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> erobict wrote:
> > I keep getting error codes for Security Update for Windows Vista
> > (KB946026).
> > Has anyone received this error and been able to fix it? Please help.

Re: update error for KB946026
We've only had 2 other threads here about error 80073701. Since the MS
database has no references to this error, we've pointed other users to the
other support options:

>> Support for Windows Update:

~PA Bear

erobict wrote:
> Error code 80073701 but no need to be nasty. This is the 1st time I used
> this so not quite sure what I need to enter.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> What error codes? Should we guess?
>>
>> =====================
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
>> Update Services installation issues:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602
>>
>> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
>> of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>>
>> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>>
>> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
>> associated with the download/install.
>>
>> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>
>> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
>> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
>> Support
>> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>>
>> ===========================

>> Support for Windows Update:
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> erobict wrote:
>>> I keep getting error codes for Security Update for Windows Vista
>>> (KB946026).
>>> Has anyone received this error and been able to fix it? Please help.

Nougat

"erobict" wrote:

> Error code 80073701 but no need to be nasty. This is the 1st time I used this
> so not quite sure what I need to enter.

Other solutions I have seen posted:

> 1) Open CMD prompt as Administrator
> 2) Enter the following: takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> 3) Enter the following, and type in your username in the designated
> place: cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F
> 4) Go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
> pending.bak
> 5) Run Windows Update again, and you should be all set!

----
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
----
Perform an in-place upgrade of Vista (which is the only thing that worked
for me)

Run the Vista install from the running OS (not booting from media), and
you’ll find the upgrade option. It takes a loooong time.

Then you may run into another bug. After the in place upgrade, upon first
logon, you will be asked to re-activate Windows. This will fail. You need
to choose the option to reenter your 25 digit key, the same one you entered
before. Then activation will work.

The in place upgrade path also solved the 80073712 error when trying to
install Vista SP1.