Re: Error number 80073712

Jedi787Plus

Re: Error number 80073712
Originally, I was getting error code C015001A with Windows Update, until I
manually downloaded and installed SP1 prerequisites KB937287 and KB938371
from the Download Ctr, rebooted, then successfully installed the two .NET
Framework updates KB929300 & KB110806 from the .NET 3.5 redist package,
rebooted again, then at last successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5 from
the same package. Now I get error code 80073712 on Windows Update, yet I
don't see any pending.xml file on C:\Windows\WinSxS. What shall I do? And
where is the x64 version of WUA 3.0 available for download?

(I do, however, see a similarly-named file,
5adfbf9a4677c801f7430000fc150814.pending.xml, on
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames, and I am also unable to delete it. I
haven't tried these command-line commands on this file, shall I?)

"AWHP" wrote:

> After a long search, some good inputs, here finally a procedure that worked
> for me:
> All credits to CogitoErgoSum on forums, hereunder his procedure with a
> slight modification:
>
> I assume MS will deliver a patch sooner or later for this issue... however, I
> fixed it with the help of MS Support.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This solution fixed the problem for me, I cannot guarantee it
> will fix it for anybody else! Moreover, renaming system files might corrupt
> your system!!!
>
> The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,
> essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on
> the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like
> wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot
> install the WUA 3.0 even manually.
>
> delete the following file:
>
> C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
>
> Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
> procedure to take ownership of the file:
>
> run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".
> Type in the following commands:
>
> takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
>

> cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F
>
> then delete the file
> Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
> here:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
>
> This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.
>
> BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have
> unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation
>

> "Hoock the Spook" wrote:
>
> > There is no solution to this MS error other than to reinstall Vista!
> >
> > After days and days of calling MS Australia, I finally got onto a Techy who
> > advised that there "was no way to fix this error" sorry, go and get stuffed
> > customer. We have your money now it is a problem belong you!!! God I love
> > Microsoft!

TaurArian

Re: Error number 80073712
Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Originally, I was getting error code C015001A with Windows Update, until I
| manually downloaded and installed SP1 prerequisites KB937287 and KB938371
| from the Download Ctr, rebooted, then successfully installed the two .NET
| Framework updates KB929300 & KB110806 from the .NET 3.5 redist package,
| rebooted again, then at last successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5 from
| the same package. Now I get error code 80073712 on Windows Update, yet I
| don't see any pending.xml file on C:\Windows\WinSxS. What shall I do? And
| where is the x64 version of WUA 3.0 available for download?
|
| (I do, however, see a similarly-named file,
| 5adfbf9a4677c801f7430000fc150814.pending.xml, on
| C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames, and I am also unable to delete it. I
| haven't tried these command-line commands on this file, shall I?)
|
| "AWHP" wrote:
|
| > After a long search, some good inputs, here finally a procedure that worked
| > for me:
| > All credits to CogitoErgoSum on forums, hereunder his procedure with a
| > slight modification:
| >
| > I assume MS will deliver a patch sooner or later for this issue... however, I
| > fixed it with the help of MS Support.
| >
| > DISCLAIMER: This solution fixed the problem for me, I cannot guarantee it
| > will fix it for anybody else! Moreover, renaming system files might corrupt
| > your system!!!
| >
| > The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,
| > essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on
| > the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like
| > wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot
| > install the WUA 3.0 even manually.
| >
| > delete the following file:
| >
| > C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
| >
| > Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
| > procedure to take ownership of the file:
| >
| > run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".
| > Type in the following commands:
| >
| > takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
| >

| > cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F
| >
| > then delete the file
| > Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
| > here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

| > This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.
| >
| > BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have
| > unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation
| >

| > "Hoock the Spook" wrote:
| >
| > > There is no solution to this MS error other than to reinstall Vista!
| > >
| > > After days and days of calling MS Australia, I finally got onto a Techy who
| > > advised that there "was no way to fix this error" sorry, go and get stuffed
| > > customer. We have your money now it is a problem belong you!!! God I love
| > > Microsoft!

Jedi787Plus

Re: Error number 80073712
I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
no solution received. Any clues?

By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
> A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
>

> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Originally, I was getting error code C015001A with Windows Update, until I
> | manually downloaded and installed SP1 prerequisites KB937287 and KB938371
> | from the Download Ctr, rebooted, then successfully installed the two .NET
> | Framework updates KB929300 & KB110806 from the .NET 3.5 redist package,
> | rebooted again, then at last successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5 from
> | the same package. Now I get error code 80073712 on Windows Update, yet I
> | don't see any pending.xml file on C:\Windows\WinSxS. What shall I do? And
> | where is the x64 version of WUA 3.0 available for download?
> |
> | (I do, however, see a similarly-named file,
> | 5adfbf9a4677c801f7430000fc150814.pending.xml, on
> | C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames, and I am also unable to delete it. I
> | haven't tried these command-line commands on this file, shall I?)
> |
> | "AWHP" wrote:
> |
> | > After a long search, some good inputs, here finally a procedure that worked
> | > for me:
> | > All credits to CogitoErgoSum on forums, hereunder his procedure with a
> | > slight modification:
> | >
> | > I assume MS will deliver a patch sooner or later for this issue... however, I
> | > fixed it with the help of MS Support.
> | >
> | > DISCLAIMER: This solution fixed the problem for me, I cannot guarantee it
> | > will fix it for anybody else! Moreover, renaming system files might corrupt
> | > your system!!!
> | >
> | > The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,
> | > essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on
> | > the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like
> | > wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot
> | > install the WUA 3.0 even manually.
> | >
> | > delete the following file:
> | >
> | > C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> | >
> | > Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
> | > procedure to take ownership of the file:
> | >
> | > run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".
> | > Type in the following commands:
> | >
> | > takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> | >

> | > cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F
> | >
> | > then delete the file
> | > Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
> | > here:
> | >
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
> | >
> | > This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.
> | >
> | > BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have
> | > unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation

TaurArian

Re: Error number 80073712
How to obtain assistance from MS Support

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates or using Automatic Updates. When you call, clearly state
that your problem is. Note any error codes etc.

In other countries, see http://support.microsoft.com/security
"No-Charge Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu for
localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

====================================

|I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
| the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
| check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
| the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
| reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
| no solution received. Any clues?
|
| By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
| after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
| re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
| again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
| > A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
| >

| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Originally, I was getting error code C015001A with Windows Update, until I
| > | manually downloaded and installed SP1 prerequisites KB937287 and KB938371
| > | from the Download Ctr, rebooted, then successfully installed the two .NET
| > | Framework updates KB929300 & KB110806 from the .NET 3.5 redist package,
| > | rebooted again, then at last successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5 from
| > | the same package. Now I get error code 80073712 on Windows Update, yet I
| > | don't see any pending.xml file on C:\Windows\WinSxS. What shall I do? And
| > | where is the x64 version of WUA 3.0 available for download?
| > |
| > | (I do, however, see a similarly-named file,
| > | 5adfbf9a4677c801f7430000fc150814.pending.xml, on
| > | C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames, and I am also unable to delete it. I
| > | haven't tried these command-line commands on this file, shall I?)
| > |
| > | "AWHP" wrote:
| > |

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

Jedi787Plus

Re: Error number 80073712
I did so while I was posting here. I got a late reply; technical support told
me to stop the Windows Update service via some administrative command in the
command prompt, then rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to some dummy
name, then restart Windows Update service via another similar administrative
command. Then run an SFC command which detected several corrupted files but
could not repair them, and a CBS log was generated which I compressed into a
ZIP archive and sent back to technical support. Meanwhile I tried to run
again the WUA 3.0 installer but again got the error 80073712. But then
decided to run again Windows Update from the Control Panel, and this time it
checked and detected several updates missing from my computer (that is, no
more error 80073712). So perhaps WUA 3.0 was already installed in my machine.
Now my worry is on those corrupt files reported by the CBS log generated by
the SFC command.

A copy of the ZIP containing my CBS log can be found below:
http://charsetplus.tripod.com/CBS.zip

"TaurArian" wrote:

> How to obtain assistance from MS Support
>
> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
> Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for support calls that are
> associated with security updates or using Automatic Updates. When you call, clearly state
> that your problem is. Note any error codes etc.
>
> In other countries, see http://support.microsoft.com/security
> "No-Charge Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu for
> localized contact information.
>
> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
> International Support Web site:
> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
> | the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
> | check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
> | the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
> | reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
> | no solution received. Any clues?
> |
> | By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
> | after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
> | re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
> | again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.
> |
> | "TaurArian" wrote:
> |
> | > Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
> | > A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
> | >

> | > --
> | > ====================================
> | > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> | > ====================================
> | > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> | > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> | > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> | > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> | >

> | > "Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

TaurArian

Re: Error number 80073712
Thanks for updating the thread jedi787plus. Await the tech's review of the file you sent
them.
This thread may assist others with this problem in the future.

====================================

> [...]
| >

| > "Jedi787Plus" <Jedi787Plus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > |I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
| > | the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
| > | check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
| > | the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
| > | reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
| > | no solution received. Any clues?
| > |
| > | By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
| > | after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
| > | re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
| > | again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |