Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

BITS Service missing on Vista 32

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
kkoenen
 

Posts: n/a
BITS Service missing on Vista 32
I tried to install Updates for Windows Vista 32. Error 80246008 notified me
about BITS. The BITS service is not present in the services list (control
panel). I tried to reinstall using “bitsadmin /util /REPAIRSERVICE /FORCE”.
The OS replied :

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.0.6000 ]
BITS administration utility.
(C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

This command cannot be executed on this version of the operating system.

Please advice.
Thank you!!

Rgdz, Kees.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BITS Service missing on Vista 32
Have you looked at -

Bits Repair Tool -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
(Vista 32 bit/x86 version)
or
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
(Vista 64 bit/x64 version)

Other references to the error -

Windows Update error 80246008
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008"
code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from
the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a
Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520


--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"kkoenen" <kkoenen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:453B0F57-6EC7-47A6-9699-C8E6CD2EC702@microsoft.com...
|I tried to install Updates for Windows Vista 32. Error 80246008 notified me
| about BITS. The BITS service is not present in the services list (control
| panel). I tried to reinstall using "bitsadmin /util /REPAIRSERVICE /FORCE".
| The OS replied :
|
| BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.0.6000 ]
| BITS administration utility.
| (C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.
|
| This command cannot be executed on this version of the operating system.
|
| Please advice.
| Thank you!!
|
| Rgdz, Kees.
|


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
kkoenen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BITS Service missing on Vista 32
No, I have spent 4 hours searching for solutions before starting this thread.
Solutions you are suggesting involve a correctly installed BITS service. On
my computer, this seems not to be the case.

BITS Service is not running, nor is it visible in the services list.

Thank you for your suggestions:

Bits Repair Tool - The BITS repair tool cannot fix the error (The specified
service does not exist as an installed service..)
Also the patch / update for the crashes doesn't work..


"TaurArian" wrote:

> Have you looked at -
>
> Bits Repair Tool -
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> (Vista 32 bit/x86 version)
> or
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> (Vista 64 bit/x64 version)
>
> Other references to the error -
>
> Windows Update error 80246008
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx
>
> You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008"
> code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from
> the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
>
> An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a
> Windows Vista-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520
>
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>
>
> "kkoenen" <kkoenen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:453B0F57-6EC7-47A6-9699-C8E6CD2EC702@microsoft.com...
> |I tried to install Updates for Windows Vista 32. Error 80246008 notified me
> | about BITS. The BITS service is not present in the services list (control
> | panel). I tried to reinstall using "bitsadmin /util /REPAIRSERVICE /FORCE".
> | The OS replied :
> |
> | BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.0.6000 ]
> | BITS administration utility.
> | (C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.
> |
> | This command cannot be executed on this version of the operating system.
> |
> | Please advice.
> | Thank you!!
> |
> | Rgdz, Kees.
> |
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BITS Service missing on Vista 32
Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

kkoenen wrote:
> No, I have spent 4 hours searching for solutions before starting this
> thread. Solutions you are suggesting involve a correctly installed BITS
> service. On my computer, this seems not to be the case.
>
> BITS Service is not running, nor is it visible in the services list.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions:
>
> Bits Repair Tool - The BITS repair tool cannot fix the error (The
> specified
> service does not exist as an installed service..)
> Also the patch / update for the crashes doesn't work..
>
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at -
>>
>> Bits Repair Tool -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>> (Vista 32 bit/x86 version)
>> or
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>> (Vista 64 bit/x64 version)
>>
>> Other references to the error -
>>
>> Windows Update error 80246008
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx
>>
>> You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or
>> the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
>> Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
>>
>> An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
>> (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520
>>
>>
>> --
>> ====================================
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
>> ====================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may
>> benefit. Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>
>>
>> "kkoenen" <kkoenen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:453B0F57-6EC7-47A6-9699-C8E6CD2EC702@microsoft.com...
>>> I tried to install Updates for Windows Vista 32. Error 80246008 notified
>>> me about BITS. The BITS service is not present in the services list
>>> (control panel). I tried to reinstall using "bitsadmin /util
>>> /REPAIRSERVICE /FORCE". The OS replied :
>>>
>>> BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.0.6000 ]
>>> BITS administration utility.
>>> (C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.
>>>
>>> This command cannot be executed on this version of the operating system.
>>>
>>> Please advice.
>>> Thank you!!
>>>
>>> Rgdz, Kees.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2008
kkoenen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BITS Service missing on Vista 32
Solved this by editting registry. Windows Vista : Take ownership of registry
before editting!

Correct keys :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS]
"DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,6 5,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d ,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00 ,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\
6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73 ,00,00,00
"Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network
bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and
MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other
information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to
transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled"
"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"DelayedAutoStart"=dword:00000001
"Type"=dword:00000020
"DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,7 3,00,00,00,45,00,76,00,65,00,\
6e,00,74,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,00 ,00,00,00
"ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001
"RequiredPrivileges"=hex(7):53,00,65,00,43,00,72,0 0,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,47,\
00,6c,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,6c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00 ,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,\
67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6d,00,70,00,65 ,00,72,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,\
00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00 ,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,\
00,00,53,00,65,00,54,00,63,00,62,00,50,00,72,00,69 ,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,73,00,73,00 ,69,00,67,00,6e,00,50,00,\
72,00,69,00,6d,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,54,00,6f,00,6b ,00,65,00,6e,00,50,00,72,\
00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00 ,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,\
63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,73,00,65,00,51,00,75,00,6f ,00,74,00,61,00,50,00,72,\
00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00 ,00,00
"FailureActions"=hex:80,51,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00,\
00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,c0,d4,01,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
"Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Parameters]
"ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00, 65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00 ,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00 ,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Performance]
"Library"="bitsperf.dll"
"Open"="PerfMon_Open"
"Collect"="PerfMon_Collect"
"Close"="PerfMon_Close"
"InstallType"=dword:00000001
"PerfIniFile"="bitsctrs.ini"
"First Counter"=dword:00000774
"Last Counter"=dword:00000784
"First Help"=dword:00000775
"Last Help"=dword:00000785
"Object List"="1908"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Security]
"Security"=Some Hex value, probably generated at start..

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_BITS\0000]
"Service"="BITS"
"Legacy"=dword:00000001
"ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
"Class"="LegacyDriver"
"ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
"DeviceDesc"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2009
kingbee888
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BITS Service missing on Vista 32

could you please explain what you did to fix this problem? i have the
same problem and its very frustrating because there are other things
that wont work on my computer until i update. Should i just change the
value data under regedit with the ones you listed? it would be VERY much
appreciated. thanks!

kkoenen;3555141 Wrote:
> Solved this by editting registry. Windows Vista : Take ownership of
> registry
> before editting!
>
> Correct keys :
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS]
> "DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
> "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,6 5,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
> 74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d ,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
> 00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00 ,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\
> 6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73 ,00,00,00
> "Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network
> bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update,
> and
> MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and
> other
> information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
> depend
> on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe
> mechanism to
> transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled"
> "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
> "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
> "DelayedAutoStart"=dword:00000001
> "Type"=dword:00000020
> "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,7 3,00,00,00,45,00,76,00,65,00,\
> 6e,00,74,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,00 ,00,00,00
> "ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001
> "RequiredPrivileges"=hex(7):53,00,65,00,43,00,72,0 0,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,47,\
> 00,6c,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,6c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00 ,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,\
> 67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6d,00,70,00,65 ,00,72,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,\
> 00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00 ,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,\
> 00,00,53,00,65,00,54,00,63,00,62,00,50,00,72,00,69 ,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
> 00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,73,00,73,00 ,69,00,67,00,6e,00,50,00,\
> 72,00,69,00,6d,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,54,00,6f,00,6b ,00,65,00,6e,00,50,00,72,\
> 00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00 ,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,\
> 63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,73,00,65,00,51,00,75,00,6f ,00,74,00,61,00,50,00,72,\
> 00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00 ,00,00
> "FailureActions"=hex:80,51,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00,\
> 00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,c0,d4,01,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
> "Start"=dword:00000003
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Parameters]
> "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00, 65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
> 00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00 ,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
> 71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00 ,00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Performance]
> "Library"="bitsperf.dll"
> "Open"="PerfMon_Open"
> "Collect"="PerfMon_Collect"
> "Close"="PerfMon_Close"
> "InstallType"=dword:00000001
> "PerfIniFile"="bitsctrs.ini"
> "First Counter"=dword:00000774
> "Last Counter"=dword:00000784
> "First Help"=dword:00000775
> "Last Help"=dword:00000785
> "Object List"="1908"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Security]
> "Security"=Some Hex value, probably generated at start..
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\LEGACY_BITS\0000]
> "Service"="BITS"
> "Legacy"=dword:00000001
> "ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
> "Class"="LegacyDriver"
> "ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
> "DeviceDesc"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"



--
kingbee888
------------------------------------------------------------------------
kingbee888's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/164860.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/920457.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) krasopateras microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 05-28-2009 15:21
Cannot start BITS service in XP Aaron microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 7 01-04-2008 17:48
Article ID: 939159 An update to prevent a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 940520 An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) bashtherat microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 09-24-2007 10:54




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120