Cursor Jump!!!

stillarfish

Cursor Jump!!!
I have followed all advice and cannot stop the cursor from erratic jumping in
all applications. Not the mouse battery, touchpad, nothing works. I can leave
it sit untouched and watch the cursor jump randomly. All in all, while I can
use my notebook, this has been my worst Windows experience and I've been
using a PC since I met Gates in ABQ in the early days with his Altair
strapped to his bicycle pedaling down Central Avenue. Even my old Commodore
Pet was more user friendly. It seems to get worse with every Windows Update!!!
--
Fish
Shenan Stanley

Re: Cursor Jump!!!
stillarfish wrote:
> I have followed all advice and cannot stop the cursor from erratic
> jumping in all applications. Not the mouse battery, touchpad,
> nothing works. I can leave it sit untouched and watch the cursor
> jump randomly. All in all, while I can use my notebook, this has
> been my worst Windows experience and I've been using a PC since I
> met Gates in ABQ in the early days with his Altair strapped to his
> bicycle pedaling down Central Avenue. Even my old Commodore Pet was
> more user friendly. It seems to get worse with every Windows
> Update!!!

Since this is probably a new posting with all of the advice you followed
missing - I have no idea what that is other than what you have given.

I am unsure why you believe that your mouse pointer jumping around would be
Windows' fault.

- Have you tried another OS on the machine and it works fine?
- Did you try booting with a BartPE CD to see if it was something with your
configuration/something you had installed?
- Did you try imaging the machine as is - installing BASE Windows XP and all
the latest hardwware drivers to see if it jumps on the clean install?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

stillarfish

Re: Cursor Jump!!!
I don't buy a car expecting to rebuild the engine ergo I don't buy a PC
expecting to fiddle with the operating system adnausem. Been there, done that
for too many years. I just turn it on and that's it!!!
--
Fish

stillarfish wrote:
> I don't buy a car expecting to rebuild the engine ergo I don't buy
> a PC expecting to fiddle with the operating system adnausem. Been
> there, done that for too many years. I just turn it on and that's
> it!!!

Sucks that the world of complicated devices (like cars, computers, etc -
with many components working together for many purposes) doesn't work that
way. Sooner or later you have to work on (or pay someone to work on) the
car - the computer is no different.

Given that - you really did not answer my questions - or were you posting
just to complain and not to get help with your issue?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Cursor Jump!!!

> > I have followed all advice and cannot stop the cursor from erratic
> > jumping in all applications. Not the mouse battery, touchpad,
> > nothing works.

I assume this relates to your PC not to your laptop.
Lack of adequate memory or processor power can
cause this. Try running Vista Ultimate 64bit with
512 of memory.
USB wireless mice may need a USB extender
to get the USB receiver nearer the desktop.
Tried other mice, on other surfaces?
Optical mice don't like shiny or reflective
surfaces.
Have you substituted an old PS2 roller
ball, bog standard, but ancient mouse?
I can have 3 mice related devices functioning
at once on the same PC with no problems.
Wireless optical, Logitech marble mouse
(just rech for it and roll the ball) plus a
graphics pad with mouse and stylus
(MS calls these HID's Human Interface Devices
and you seem to be able to run several
at once.
So it's not a common Windows problem,
or a few millon other users would be
complaining.
Changing the mouse is a good starting point.
Then try an OS that runs from a CD, like
some Linux distros, if the mouse still jumps
it's more likely hardware than software.
stillarfish

Re: Cursor Jump!!!
I assume I will simply wait till after RTM of SP1 so MicroSoft can make more
money. Everything had worked well before the updates during November-December
which is a MS standard of failing to QC updates. Many of my former clients
and friends are reporting identical problems with Vista and some have
reverted back to XP since MicroSoft has offered an inexpensive
downgrade/upgrade to business customers only. The only fix I have found is to
recover back to early January the last time it worked properly and not update
Vista again until possibly SP1 is available. Trying another OS is not an
option as I buy one computer, one OS and refuse to play with or incur
additional expenses to troubleshoot a MicroSoft problem which may recur with
each new update. Not a good way to run a business, I wouldn't think.
--
Fish

"ato_zee@hotmail.com" wrote:

> > > I have followed all advice and cannng had gone wellot stop the cursor from erratic
> > > jumping in all applications. Not the mouse battery, touchpad,
> > > nothing works.

> I assume this relates to your PC not to your laptop.
> Lack of adequate memory or processor power can
> cause this. Try running Vista Ultimate 64bit with
> 512 of memory.
> USB wireless mice may need a USB extender
> to get the USB receiver nearer the desktop.
> Tried other mice, on other surfaces?
> Optical mice don't like shiny or reflective
> surfaces.
> Have you substituted an old PS2 roller
> ball, bog standard, but ancient mouse?
> I can have 3 mice related devices functioning
> at once on the same PC with no problems.
> Wireless optical, Logitech marble mouse
> (just rech for it and roll the ball) plus a
> graphics pad with mouse and stylus
> (MS calls these HID's Human Interface Devices
> and you seem to be able to run several
> at once.
> So it's not a common Windows problem,
> or a few millon other users would be
> complaining.
> Changing the mouse is a good starting point.
> Then try an OS that runs from a CD, like
> some Linux distros, if the mouse still jumps
> it's more likely hardware than software.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Cursor Jump!!!

> Trying another OS is not an
> option as I buy one computer, one OS and refuse to play with or incur
> additional expenses to troubleshoot a MicroSoft problem which may recur
> with each new update

There are a few free drive test utilities from Maxtor/Seagate and others
that produce a bootable floppy, with mouse support.
Set to boot from floppy, you get rid of Windoze (it's so bloated
that's how fast it runs) and then if your mouse becomes stable
you are looking at an OS problem, if the mouse cursor still
dances more likely it's a hardware problem.
A free test for the penny pinching.
There are also free Linux distros, that run entirely off the CD,
many of these are free give aways, only problem I ran into
was getting network access, but maybe that's fixed now.
Gives you a chance to test your mouse, and horror of horrors,
for MS get the feel of an alternative OS.
Melissa

RE: Cursor Jump!!!
Fish....I know your frustrations too well! I am having the exact problem with
my cursor jumping as you are. I agree with you, this isn't something we
should have to monkey with. It is a Vista problem and I will downgrade to XP
as soon as I figure out a way. I've never been so disappointed with a program
as I am of Vista. Unfortunately, my laptop came preloaded with Vista and it
seems virtually impossible to get any help from the yahoos at Microsoft.
We're stuck with the crap I think.
Please let me know if you figure out a solution. I am going crazy!

"stillarfish" wrote:

> I have followed all advice and cannot stop the cursor from erratic jumping in
> all applications. Not the mouse battery, touchpad, nothing works. I can leave
> it sit untouched and watch the cursor jump randomly. All in all, while I can
> use my notebook, this has been my worst Windows experience and I've been
> using a PC since I met Gates in ABQ in the early days with his Altair
> strapped to his bicycle pedaling down Central Avenue. Even my old Commodore
> Pet was more user friendly. It seems to get worse with every Windows Update!!!
> --
> Fish

Shenan Stanley

Re: Cursor Jump!!!
Melissa wrote:
> Fish....I know your frustrations too well! I am having the exact
> problem with my cursor jumping as you are. I agree with you, this
> isn't something we should have to monkey with. It is a Vista
> problem and I will downgrade to XP as soon as I figure out a way.
> I've never been so disappointed with a program as I am of Vista.
> Unfortunately, my laptop came preloaded with Vista and it seems
> virtually impossible to get any help from the yahoos at Microsoft.
> We're stuck with the crap I think.
> Please let me know if you figure out a solution. I am going crazy!

If your laptop came with Vista - Microsoft is not whom you need to speak
with about downgrading to XP. The hardware vendor (OEM) that sold you the
computer with the OS is. Only they can tell you definitively if they have
drivers for the previous OS and what will happen to your support for the
system when you downgrade.

As far as 'monkeying with it' - why should you? You just bought it - it is
likely under warranty - get the tech support you paid for from the vendor
you purchased it from! ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP