XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report

pagemichael

XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
Have a Dell desktop with Windows XP Professional OEM with SP1. I am a
technician so I am quite familiar with troubleshooting problems with
installation SP2 but have encountered one I need help with. What happens is
that during the "performing cleanup" stage of the SP2 installation it seems
to hang and then closes out and comes up with the Microsoft Error report
prompting to send error report. I then have to uninstall SP2. It is the
same result if installed in normal mode from windows update service, using a
standalone installer in normal mode as well as in safe mode. I am familiar
with managing startup items and have tried disabling security software, have
updated the bios, and updated drivers from dell. I am as well confident that
there are no threats on the machine! I have ran a quick drive test from
hitachi which passed as well as a the microsoft memory tester. A checkdisk
was also ran which found no errors. I also have researched the knowledgebase
and have applied patch from 885523, & tried steps from 885627.
I have detailed logs from setupapi , as well as logs from svcpack.log which
are too long to post but I will post a link to them in a followup post.
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
Crossposted to WinXP General.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver:
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm

Installing WinXP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...psp2getinstall

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP
Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-AD0EAF89C4A7
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pagemichael wrote:
> Have a Dell desktop with Windows XP Professional OEM with SP1. I am a
> technician so I am quite familiar with troubleshooting problems with
> installation SP2 but have encountered one I need help with. What happens
> is
> that during the "performing cleanup" stage of the SP2 installation it
> seems
> to hang and then closes out and comes up with the Microsoft Error report
> prompting to send error report. I then have to uninstall SP2. It is the
> same result if installed in normal mode from windows update service, using
> standalone installer in normal mode as well as in safe mode. I am
> familiar
> with managing startup items and have tried disabling security software,
> have
> updated the bios, and updated drivers from dell. I am as well confident
> that there are no threats on the machine! I have ran a quick drive test
> from hitachi which passed as well as a the microsoft memory tester. A
> checkdisk was also ran which found no errors. I also have researched the
> knowledgebase and have applied patch from 885523, & tried steps from
> 885627.
> I have detailed logs from setupapi , as well as logs from svcpack.log
> which
> are too long to post but I will post a link to them in a followup post.
> Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

pagemichael

RE: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
Here are my log files
Link to
Setupapi log
http://www.box.net/shared/vz8mygnc4s

svcpack log
http://www.box.net/shared/7ikhm5sowo

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
No one who has their wits about them is going to click on those links.

pagemichael wrote:
> Here are my log files
> Link to
> Setupapi log
> http://www.box.net/shared/vz8mygnc4s
>
> svcpack log
> http://www.box.net/shared/7ikhm5sowo

pagemichael

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report

? Are you kidding me they are links to 2 text files. Do you have a better
suggestion?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No one who has their wits about them is going to click on those links.
>
> pagemichael wrote:
> > Here are my log files
> > Link to
> > Setupapi log
> > http://www.box.net/shared/vz8mygnc4s
> >
> > svcpack log
> > http://www.box.net/shared/7ikhm5sowo

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
In the first place, no one here asked for the logs that I know of.
Secondly, no one should click on any such anonymously-posted links, no
matter what the person posting them says they are.

Again, this is not an official MS Support newsgroup and you'd be much better
off posting in a WinXP-specific newsgroup. Good luck.
--
~PA Bear

pagemichael wrote:
> ? Are you kidding me they are links to 2 text files. Do you have a
> better
> suggestion?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No one who has their wits about them is going to click on those links.
>>
>> pagemichael wrote:
>>> Here are my log files
>>> Link to
>>> Setupapi log
>>> http://www.box.net/shared/vz8mygnc4s
>>>
>>> svcpack log
>>> http://www.box.net/shared/7ikhm5sowo

pagemichael

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
Thanks for the advice Papa teddybear, but I prefer on solving problems rather
than relying on luck. Instead of posting my issues in a Windows XP
expertzone newsgroup with thousands of other posts with similar problems I
have submitted my logs through Microsoft support, and through some goolge
groups. It seems as though they are actually the MVP's to go to for help
instead of some admin posting links to knowledgebases complaining about being
provided to much information about the problem. Funny considering the
complaint is usually the other way around about being provided not enough
information about a problem.

I will post update resolution to those interested with similar problems.
Any HELP greatly appreciated, nonsense though... not needed.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> In the first place, no one here asked for the logs that I know of.
> Secondly, no one should click on any such anonymously-posted links, no
> matter what the person posting them says they are.
>
> Again, this is not an official MS Support newsgroup and you'd be much better
> off posting in a WinXP-specific newsgroup. Good luck.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> pagemichael wrote:
> > ? Are you kidding me they are links to 2 text files. Do you have a
> > better
> > suggestion?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No one who has their wits about them is going to click on those links.

Re: XP SP2 installation failed asks to send error report
Whatever. My point has always been that this topic has nothing whatsoever
to do with Windows Update. As a "technician" (cf. http://pagemichael.com),
one would assume that you'd realize this.
--
~PA Bear

pagemichael wrote:
> Thanks for the advice Papa teddybear, but I prefer on solving problems
> rather than relying on luck. Instead of posting my issues in a Windows XP
> expertzone newsgroup with thousands of other posts with similar problems I
> have submitted my logs through Microsoft support, and through some goolge
> groups. It seems as though they are actually the MVP's to go to for help
> instead of some admin posting links to knowledgebases complaining about
> being provided to much information about the problem. Funny considering
> the
> complaint is usually the other way around about being provided not enough
> information about a problem.
>
> I will post update resolution to those interested with similar problems.
> Any HELP greatly appreciated, nonsense though... not needed.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> In the first place, no one here asked for the logs that I know of.
>> Secondly, no one should click on any such anonymously-posted links, no
>> matter what the person posting them says they are.
>>
>> Again, this is not an official MS Support newsgroup and you'd be much
>> better off posting in a WinXP-specific newsgroup. Good luck.
>> --
>> pagemichael wrote:
>>> ? Are you kidding me they are links to 2 text files. Do you have a
>>> better
>>> suggestion?

<paste>