No longer able to access Windows Update

Brad_S

No longer able to access Windows Update
After recovering from a failed Windows Update session, I can no longer access
the Windows Update site. I always get the "Thank you for your interest in
obtaining updates from our site" message.

Running XP Media Center, all updates applied (until this failure). I've
tried the userAgent registry fixes and downloaded a fresh copy of the
Software Update Service, but no joy. Any suggestions for returning back to
normal?

Here's a rather lengthy series of events that led to the current failure
condition:

1. Opened IE7 and initiated a Windows Update
2. Found several updates needed
3. Update hung attempting to install:
Title = Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)
4. Waited 30 minutes, had to reboot machine to unhang
5. Attempted to perform Windows Update again, received error 0x80072ee2
6. Searched Microsoft for error 0x80072ee2
7. Found suggested fix in post by Taurarian on page:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...fce053&m=1&p=1

Suggested fix:
Here is how I was able to work around the problem.
Using command prompt
1. proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)
2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)

Using Windows Explorer
3. Delete all files and folders in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (your windows folder may vary)

Again using command prompt
4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)

Try now going back to Windows Update web page.
8. Performed the suggested fix, attempted Windows Update again, update of
several non-critical updates worked (but no KB110806 need detected)
- Noted that history of updates lost

9. Performed other PC maintenance
- Ran CCCleaner
- Ran TuneUpUtilities 2008
- Fixed Registry errors
- Compacted Registry
- Defragged using Auslogic Defrag (first time used this utility)

10. Attempted Windows Update, but site now indicates not running Windows

11. All attempts to correct have failed.

Re: No longer able to access Windows Update
> After recovering from a failed Windows Update session, I can no longer
> access the Windows Update site. I always get the "Thank you for your
> interest in obtaining updates from our site" message...
> Attempted Windows Update, but site now indicates not running Windows

Post the complete error message.

Meanwhile, CrystalBall© sez: See http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Brad_S wrote:
> After recovering from a failed Windows Update session, I can no longer
> access the Windows Update site. I always get the "Thank you for your
> interest in obtaining updates from our site" message.
>
> Running XP Media Center, all updates applied (until this failure). I've
> tried the userAgent registry fixes and downloaded a fresh copy of the
> Software Update Service, but no joy. Any suggestions for returning back
> normal?
>
> Here's a rather lengthy series of events that led to the current failure
> condition:
>
> 1. Opened IE7 and initiated a Windows Update
> 2. Found several updates needed
> 3. Update hung attempting to install:
> Title = Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)
> 4. Waited 30 minutes, had to reboot machine to unhang
> 5. Attempted to perform Windows Update again, received error 0x80072ee2
> 6. Searched Microsoft for error 0x80072ee2
> 7. Found suggested fix in post by Taurarian on page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...fce053&m=1&p=1
>
> ************************************************** ******
> Suggested fix:
> Here is how I was able to work around the problem.
> Using command prompt
> 1. proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)
> 2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)
>
> Using Windows Explorer
> 3. Delete all files and folders in
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (your windows folder may vary)
>
> Again using command prompt
> 4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)
>
> Try now going back to Windows Update web page.
> ************************************************** *******
> 8. Performed the suggested fix, attempted Windows Update again, update of
> several non-critical updates worked (but no KB110806 need detected)
> - Noted that history of updates lost
>
> 9. Performed other PC maintenance
> - Ran CCCleaner
> - Ran TuneUpUtilities 2008
> - Fixed Registry errors
> - Compacted Registry
> - Defragged using Auslogic Defrag (first time used this utility)
>
> 10. Attempted Windows Update, but site now indicates not running Windows
>
> 11. All attempts to correct have failed.

Brad_S

Re: No longer able to access Windows Update
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > After recovering from a failed Windows Update session, I can no longer
> > access the Windows Update site. I always get the "Thank you for your
> > interest in obtaining updates from our site" message...
> > Attempted Windows Update, but site now indicates not running Windows

> Post the complete error message.
>
> Meanwhile, CrystalBall© sez: See http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Brad_S wrote:
> > After recovering from a failed Windows Update session, I can no longer
> > access the Windows Update site. I always get the "Thank you for your
> > interest in obtaining updates from our site" message.
> >
> > Running XP Media Center, all updates applied (until this failure). I've
> > tried the userAgent registry fixes and downloaded a fresh copy of the
> > Software Update Service, but no joy. Any suggestions for returning back
> > normal?
> >
> > Here's a rather lengthy series of events that led to the current failure
> > condition:
> >
> > 1. Opened IE7 and initiated a Windows Update
> > 2. Found several updates needed
> > 3. Update hung attempting to install:
> > Title = Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)
> > 4. Waited 30 minutes, had to reboot machine to unhang
> > 5. Attempted to perform Windows Update again, received error 0x80072ee2
> > 6. Searched Microsoft for error 0x80072ee2
> > 7. Found suggested fix in post by Taurarian on page:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...fce053&m=1&p=1
> >
> > ************************************************** ******
> > Suggested fix:
> > Here is how I was able to work around the problem.
> > Using command prompt
> > 1. proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)
> > 2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)
> >
> > Using Windows Explorer
> > 3. Delete all files and folders in
> > C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (your windows folder may vary)
> >
> > Again using command prompt
> > 4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)
> >
> > Try now going back to Windows Update web page.
> > ************************************************** *******
> > 8. Performed the suggested fix, attempted Windows Update again, update of
> > several non-critical updates worked (but no KB110806 need detected)
> > - Noted that history of updates lost
> >
> > 9. Performed other PC maintenance
> > - Ran CCCleaner
> > - Ran TuneUpUtilities 2008
> > - Fixed Registry errors
> > - Compacted Registry
> > - Defragged using Auslogic Defrag (first time used this utility)
> >
> > 10. Attempted Windows Update, but site now indicates not running Windows
> >
> > 11. All attempts to correct have failed.

Brad_S

Re: No longer able to access Windows Update
> Meanwhile, CrystalBall© sez: See http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

Thanks for the link. Tried that, no change to symptoms.

Brad_S wrote:
>> Meanwhile, CrystalBall© sez: See
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

> Thanks for the link. Tried that, no change to symptoms.

Try it again. One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of
third-party applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking".
These include but are not limited to Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, Norton AntiVirus, McAfee
VirusScan and/or Antispyware, and Zone Alarm (Free and Pro).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Brad_S

Re: No longer able to access Windows Update
FIXED!!

Odd solution. I went into Add or Remove Programs and saw that I had
installed Silverlight as part of the update session that started this whole
mess (see Step #2 in OP).

Just for the heck of it, I deleted Silverlight and rebooted. All is now
fine, updates working successfully. Huh.

That also fixed a new "IE encountered a script error" message I got when
doing a Help About in IE7.

Guess Silverlight's not for me, at least not right now...

Brad