RE: Desperate UPDATE ERROR CODE 0x80070643

harryleeper

"eaglewhiz" wrote:

> I have 7 windows updates waiting to be installed. They will not instal - it
> fails every time. Error Code 0X80070643 I've spent weeks hunting all over
> the web for some resoukution to this problem. Pleae can anyone help me?

TaurArian

Re: Desperate UPDATE ERROR CODE 0x80070643
You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Other suggestions -

Suggestion 1 - Rename the Edb.log file (the hotfix installer references the Edb.log file
and the file may be corrupted)

1. Using Windows Explorer open the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\
2. Right-click the Edb.log file, and then rename the file "Edb.old."
3. Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 2 - Rename the CatRoot2 folder.

1. Using Windows Explorer open the folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\
2. Right-click the CatRoot2 folder, and then rename the CatRoot2 folder "CatRoot2old".
3. Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 3 - We'll now register some DLL files just in case they have not been
registered

Click Start, select Run and type:
regsvr32 licdll.dll
When you receive the message that the DllRegisterServer succeeded, click OK. Do the same
for the next DLL file.
regsvr32 regwizc.dll

Try Windows Update again from Internet Explorer.

Suggestion 4 - are your trusted root authority certificates up to date? Do you have a
Firewall that could be blocking Windows Update?

Check points -

To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
Note - To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add
or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components

If you have a firewall installed, it can prevent your computer from connecting to the
Windows Update server. Make sure that TCP/IP ports 80 and 443 are open in both directions.
Make sure that your firewall is not blocking scripting functions on Web sites.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"harryleeper" <harryleeper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| "eaglewhiz" wrote:
|
| > I have 7 windows updates waiting to be installed. They will not instal - it
| > fails every time. Error Code 0X80070643 I've spent weeks hunting all over
| > the web for some resoukution to this problem. Pleae can anyone help me?

Snorch

Re: Desperate UPDATE ERROR CODE 0x80070643
Looking at several threads for this error and the 0x57c error (mine are in
the same windows update log - well done for whoever showed us how to look at
that) I concluded that something was interfering with the registers or
preventing a register from updating propoerly.

I run Kaspersky 7 firewall, so I turned that off and turned on the Windows
firewall - an lo and behold it worked after about 10 attempts since last
month!

I did nothing else.