windows update automatic restart

LA88

windows update automatic restart
Hey - I was wondering if anyone had any advice / suggestions so I can fix my
laptop. It downloaded an update from windows and get to a "configuring 3r
stage out of 3" page where it says 0%. After trhis, it then restarts itself
and continues to do so.

Any ideas how this can be fixed? Thank you
Shenan Stanley

Re: windows update automatic restart
LA88 wrote:
> Hey - I was wondering if anyone had any advice / suggestions so I
> can fix my laptop. It downloaded an update from windows and get to
> a "configuring 3r stage out of 3" page where it says 0%. After
> trhis, it then restarts itself and continues to do so.
>
> Any ideas how this can be fixed? Thank you

I could guess - but why?

What Operating System are you running from the many that can get updates in
the manner described?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Susan Bradley

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> LA88 wrote:
>> Hey - I was wondering if anyone had any advice / suggestions so I
>> can fix my laptop. It downloaded an update from windows and get to
>> a "configuring 3r stage out of 3" page where it says 0%. After
>> trhis, it then restarts itself and continues to do so.
>>
>> Any ideas how this can be fixed? Thank you

> I could guess - but why?
>
> What Operating System are you running from the many that can get updates in
> the manner described?

UPDATE 2/21: When calling 1-866-PC-Safety - be sure to let the support
agent know you are calling in reference to a Windows Update issue. Also:
Microsoft has released KB949358 containing information regarding the
issues related to KB937287.

We've heard a few reports about problems customers may be experiencing
as a result of KB937287, the servicing stack update I blogged about last
week, and I wanted to provide a quick update for you. Immediately after
receiving reports of this error, we made the decision to temporarily
suspend automatic distribution of the update to avoid further customer
impact while we investigate possible causes.

So far, we've been able to determine that this problem only affects a
small number of customers in unique circumstances. We are working to
identify possible solutions and will make the update available again
shortly after we address the issue.

Customers who may be experiencing this issue can use system restore to
correct it or contact 1-866-PC-Safety for help troubleshooting.
Additional guidance will be available via Microsoft's free Update
Support Center soon.
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...-kb937287.aspx
TaurArian

Re: windows update automatic restart
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts
when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
For those who are unfamiliar with System Restore in Vista - see Using System Restore from
the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html

--
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia