Cannot Update

Vineetwins

Cannot Update
I have a genuine copy of windows installed on my computer.I was able to
download updates until January 2008.
But now I am not able to download the updates anymore.I have tried a number
of solutions as listed on the microsoft site without any success.
Is there a possibility of my product key being public, or being used on
multiple systems?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Cannot Update
Vineetwins wrote:
> I have a genuine copy of windows installed on my computer.I was
> able to download updates until January 2008.
>
> But now I am not able to download the updates anymore.I have tried
> a number of solutions as listed on the microsoft site without any
> success.
>
> Is there a possibility of my product key being public, or being
> used on multiple systems?

Who knows...?

You did not even give a particular Operating System name or how you usually
download the updates...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Vineetwins

Re: Cannot Update

I have Windows XP 32bit sevice pack 2 installed on my computer.I download
updates through the internet(by visiting the site
http://update.microsoft.com).I am convinced that this error in download is
not beacuse of faulty internet settings.

I want to know if this can be because of my product key being "public". If
this is the case I would like to change my product key.

Is there any other plausible way to download recent updates apart from the
automatics update or visiting the site update.microsoft.com?

--
thanks

Vineetwins wrote:
> I have Windows XP 32bit sevice pack 2 installed on my computer.I
> download updates through the internet(by visiting the site
> http://update.microsoft.com).I am convinced that this error in
> download is not beacuse of faulty internet settings.
>
> I want to know if this can be because of my product key being
> "public". If this is the case I would like to change my product key.
>
> Is there any other plausible way to download recent updates apart
> from the automatics update or visiting the site
> update.microsoft.com?

Did you use your key on another machine and has the WGA notification thing
started screaming in the bottom right corner?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Did you use your key on another machine and has the WGA
> notification thing started screaming in the bottom right corner?

Try the following methods (both of them, ignore the article title) below:

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Reboot after each method.

Visit http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/ and do a custom scan for updates.
If it asks you to update anything/install anything upon visiting
(immediately) - do so and agree to things. Then continue with a CUSTOM
scan.

Do *not* get drivers (hardware) and whether or not you get Software
(Optional) is as it indicated - optional. Do get Critical updates.

Come back - let us know.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Vineetwins

Re: Cannot Update
Thank you Shenan for trying to help me.

I tried out the methods outlined in the post without success.

About the WGA notifications, there aren't any and also I successfully
downloaded and installed Windows Defender today. The site and the executable,
both successfully validated the genuinity of my Windows XP 32 bit SP2 copy.

I am sure there is not a problem with internet settings.I have also checked
the Windows Update folder in C:\Program Files and found it to be empty(One of
the plausible solution on the site are to clear the contents of C:\Program
Files\Windows Update\v6).I have also cleared the IE browsing history,cache
several times before.I have never done any System Repair/Restore.Most of the
self help has been tried.

I am not sure how to change the product key.The regedit method doesn't work
and I certainly do not want to uninstall the operating system.Otherwise I
would have tried this method as well to make the Windows Update work.

Thanks again.

Vineetwins wrote:
> Thank you Shenan for trying to help me.
>
> I tried out the methods outlined in the post without success.
>
> About the WGA notifications, there aren't any and also I
> successfully downloaded and installed Windows Defender today. The
> site and the executable, both successfully validated the genuinity
> of my Windows XP 32 bit SP2 copy.
>
> I am sure there is not a problem with internet settings.I have also
> checked the Windows Update folder in C:\Program Files and found it
> to be empty(One of the plausible solution on the site are to clear
> the contents of C:\Program Files\Windows Update\v6).I have also
> cleared the IE browsing history,cache several times before.I have
> never done any System Repair/Restore.Most of the self help has been
> tried.
>
> I am not sure how to change the product key.The regedit method
> doesn't work and I certainly do not want to uninstall the operating
> system.Otherwise I would have tried this method as well to make the
> Windows Update work.

Just what was you going to change the product key to?
Anyway...

What error do you get when you try to manually (custom) download/install
updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?

Does it just not FIND any updates? (That is entirely plausible.)

Start Button --> RUN --> Type in:

winver

--> Click OK.

Come back and share the following information:

- Complete: The picture at the top says "Microsoft Windows XP _________"
- Complete: The line starting with Version 5.1 (Build
2600.____________.___________ : Service Pack _)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

joeriswa

Re: Cannot Update

"Vineetwins" <Vineetwins@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I have a genuine copy of windows installed on my computer.I was able to
> download updates until January 2008.
> But now I am not able to download the updates anymore.I have tried a
> number
> of solutions as listed on the microsoft site without any success.
> Is there a possibility of my product key being public, or being used on
> multiple systems?

Vineetweens check your DNS settings!
It is scamware that changes the DNS server details from automatically
> obtaining to using there own ip.
> Solution: Get to your Local Area Connection and click properties.
> Click TCP/IP then properties. Click "Obtain DNS Automatically

Re: Cannot Update
[In a later reply, you tell us that it's WinXP SP2.]

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

What happens when you try to update via Windows Update website? Post any
error messages in their entirety.

By any chance did just reinstall Windows?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Vineetwins wrote:
> I have a genuine copy of windows installed on my computer.I was able to
> download updates until January 2008.
> But now I am not able to download the updates anymore.I have tried a
> number
> of solutions as listed on the microsoft site without any success.
> Is there a possibility of my product key being public, or being used on
> multiple systems?

Vineetwins

Re: Cannot Update
Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 :Service Pack 2
This product is licensed under the terms of End User Agreement to:
my computer name
my organisation

Physical Memory available to windows:515312 KB

This is what I found Shenan.