Working cure for my Windows Update headaches.

ceed

Working cure for my Windows Update headaches.
Hi,

Twice since I got Vista updates have refused to install. All of a
sudden a few updates times out with a cryptic error message. Both times
I have used Microsoft support which is free for Windows Update on
Vista. The first time I went through tons of things MS Support thought
would solve the problem, but no go. The first time the end game was a
reinstall of of the OS. The second time I recognised the support
pattern and knew it would end with yet another reinstall so I dug deep
and finally found a solution which worked. Since I've seen quite a few
posts on problems with Windows Update, and tons of methods which
doesn't work, I thought I would post the working solution here:

Do two things over all:

First:
1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt

2. Execute the following commands sequentially:

a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

Second:

Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe

Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
Type: Attrib a h s *.TM*
Type: Del *.TM*

NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install

I have no clue why this works, but it did for me. I hope this will help
a few people who otherwise would have to reinstall Vista.

--
//ceed
tarheel

RE: Working cure for my Windows Update headaches.
I'm at my wits-end with this updates not installing so I'm willing to try
this. How do I bring up the elevated command prompt. when I tried to enter
the command below into the command prompt that comes up under my
administrator account in Vista, it said I need administrative privileges.

"ceed" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Twice since I got Vista updates have refused to install. All of a
> sudden a few updates times out with a cryptic error message. Both times
> I have used Microsoft support which is free for Windows Update on
> Vista. The first time I went through tons of things MS Support thought
> would solve the problem, but no go. The first time the end game was a
> reinstall of of the OS. The second time I recognised the support
> pattern and knew it would end with yet another reinstall so I dug deep
> and finally found a solution which worked. Since I've seen quite a few
> posts on problems with Windows Update, and tons of methods which
> doesn't work, I thought I would post the working solution here:
>
> Do two things over all:
>
> First:
> 1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt
>
> 2. Execute the following commands sequentially:
>
> a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
>
> b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr
>
> c. attrib -r -s -h *
>
> d. del *
>
> Second:
>
> Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe
>
> Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
> Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
> Type: Del *.TM*
>
> NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install
>
> I have no clue why this works, but it did for me. I hope this will help
> a few people who otherwise would have to reinstall Vista.
>
> --
> //ceed

ceed

tarheel wrote:

|I'm at my wits-end with this updates not installing so I'm willing to
|try this. How do I bring up the elevated command prompt. when I
|tried to enter the command below into the command prompt that comes
|up under my administrator account in Vista, it said I need
|administrative privileges.

Opening a command line with Administrator rights: Click on Start, go to
Programs -> Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and choose Run
as administrator. You’ll be prompted to approve the action.

--
//ceed
Judy Berg

RE: Working cure for my Windows Update headaches.
Has anyone tried the sure cure for windows updates? I am a little afraid of
the command prompt thing. I know it has to accurate. What if there was a
misstype in instructions/

"ceed" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Twice since I got Vista updates have refused to install. All of a
> sudden a few updates times out with a cryptic error message. Both times
> I have used Microsoft support which is free for Windows Update on
> Vista. The first time I went through tons of things MS Support thought
> would solve the problem, but no go. The first time the end game was a
> reinstall of of the OS. The second time I recognised the support
> pattern and knew it would end with yet another reinstall so I dug deep
> and finally found a solution which worked. Since I've seen quite a few
> posts on problems with Windows Update, and tons of methods which
> doesn't work, I thought I would post the working solution here:
>
> Do two things over all:
>
> First:
> 1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt
>
> 2. Execute the following commands sequentially:
>
> a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
>
> b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr
>
> c. attrib -r -s -h *
>
> d. del *
>
> Second:
>
> Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe
>
> Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
> Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
> Type: Del *.TM*
>
> NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install
>
> I have no clue why this works, but it did for me. I hope this will help
> a few people who otherwise would have to reinstall Vista.
>
> --
> //ceed

ceed

|"ceed" wrote:

|| Hi,
|| Twice since I got Vista updates have refused to install. All of a
|| sudden a few updates times out with a cryptic error message. Both
||times I have used Microsoft support which is free for Windows
||Update on Vista. The first time I went through tons of things MS
||Support thought would solve the problem, but no go. The first time
||the end game was a reinstall of of the OS. The second time I
||recognised the support pattern and knew it would end with yet
||another reinstall so I dug deep and finally found a solution which
||worked. Since I've seen quite a few posts on problems with Windows
||Update, and tons of methods which doesn't work, I thought I would
||post the working solution here:
|| Do two things over all:
|| First:
|| 1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt
|| 2. Execute the following commands sequentially:
|| a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
|| b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr
|| c. attrib -r -s -h *
|| d. del *
|| Second:
|| Start an elevated (Administrator) cmd.exe
|| Type: Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
|| Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
|| Type: Del *.TM*
|| NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install
|| I have no clue why this works, but it did for me. I hope this will
||help a few people who otherwise would have to reinstall Vista.
|| --
|| //ceed

I have used this twice without any problems. I can of course not
guarantee that it will work for you, or not cause other problems. It
didn't for me. In fact it helped me not having to reinstall Windows
Vista after MS support weren't able to help me.

Also, if you set a restore point before you do this you can just
reverse the whole thing if something should go wrong.

--
//ceed