Are .NET FWs 2 & 3...

bobnrobin

Are .NET FWs 2 & 3...
.....Available on disk ?? As offered in MSUpdate they are both quite large.
Have a dialup connection so that would mean many, many hours to DL either of
them. So, does anyone know if or where they might be available on a disk ?
Thanks, much.
bobnrobin
Engel

RE: Are .NET FWs 2 & 3...
Hello BobnRobin,

Do you have automatic updates turned on--for Windºws?

AutoUpdate--the native automatic update mode uses the BITS service. This
service is specifically designed, as I understand it to minimize bandwidth
impact.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/bits/bits/bits_start_page.asp>
Or here
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362827.aspx>
--

I think the right strategy for a dialup user is just to ignore the update
process--let the bits service do its thing--dial in when you want, hang up

Be sure that RPC is not disªbled.

Remote procedure Call (RPC)
Remote procedure Call (RPC) Locator
--

Don't know the answer to your last question.

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.

Let us know maybe someone else can conjure up something else to try.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---

"bobnrobin" wrote:

> ....Available on disk ?? As offered in MSUpdate they are both quite large.
> Have a dialup connection so that would mean many, many hours to DL either of
> them. So, does anyone know if or where they might be available on a disk ?
> Thanks, much.
> bobnrobin

bobnrobin

RE: Are .NET FWs 2 & 3...

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello BobnRobin,
>
> Do you have automatic updates turned on--for Windºws?
>
> AutoUpdate--the native automatic update mode uses the BITS service. This
> service is specifically designed, as I understand it to minimize bandwidth
> impact.
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/bits/bits/bits_start_page.asp>
> Or here
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362827.aspx>
> --
>
> I think the right strategy for a dialup user is just to ignore the update
> process--let the bits service do its thing--dial in when you want, hang up
> when you want. Bits should use unused bandwidth when it can, resume, etc,
> until it gets the file in.
>
> Be sure that RPC is not disªbled.
>
> Remote procedure Call (RPC)
> Remote procedure Call (RPC) Locator
> --
>
> Don't know the answer to your last question.
>
> Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.
>
> Let us know maybe someone else can conjure up something else to try.
>

> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.

Thanks, Engel, for taking the time to reply... Auto Update is on, but set
to notify. These are offered as "options" at MS Update for my system. Since
they are not listed as critical, they won't DL auto. (Had to get a new HD
and start all over - could not recover anything from the old one.) Not even
sure if they are really needed here - have 1.x and am not a developer.
Thanks again.
bobnrobin