Windows update problems

Robbywon

Windows update problems
I am trying to get windows updates but when I go to Tools -- Windows Update,
I am taken to the Microsoft site but nothing happens. I have allowed ActiveX
on all levels. I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
movie. I have run an indepth antivirus and antispyware scan an nothing but
the usual spyware in cookies is removed. Everything else from surfing to
different sites and using my trade software works fine. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks
congoes girl

RE: Windows update problems
What are you actually doing when you get to the W. Updates page,?
Are you running vista? Have u NOT enabled updates to "Automatiic updates
where you can customise to down load & install inportant updates
automatically at a set time of your preference?
As for "I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> movie"

You have probably answered your own question as your anti virus/ spyware
programmes are probably set up to block them, check out there configureation.
Why do you not use the most recent version of Internet Explorer, which is IE
7 ?
--
congoes girl

"Robbywon" wrote:

> I am trying to get windows updates but when I go to Tools -- Windows Update,
> I am taken to the Microsoft site but nothing happens. I have allowed ActiveX
> on all levels. I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> movie. I have run an indepth antivirus and antispyware scan an nothing but
> the usual spyware in cookies is removed. Everything else from surfing to
> different sites and using my trade software works fine. Any help is
> appreciated. Thanks

Robbywon

RE: Windows update problems
First of all thanks for answering my post, I have not used IE7 because I had
IE7 a while back and had problems using it. I even tweaked IE7 to disable the
Phishing filter and diassabled Pop-up Blocker, as well as other modifications
in the Advanced and Security tab . I may try using it again soon if I can't
get IE6 to work. I have also done some other things in IE6 I have disabled
all add-ons when IE first comes up. Tried disabling and enabling each add-on
to correct the problem. Have disabled Anti-virus and anti-spyware, but not
windows firewall. Have set IE6 back to Default mode on all levels. Have
installed a new modem and run test. Have installed directly to my modem and
gotten rid of my router. Even run speed test on the DSL connection but speed
test are fine. Still the problem remains.

"congoes girl" wrote:

> What are you actually doing when you get to the W. Updates page,?
> Are you running vista? Have u NOT enabled updates to "Automatiic updates
> where you can customise to down load & install inportant updates
> automatically at a set time of your preference?
> As for "I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> > movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> > AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> > movie"

> You have probably answered your own question as your anti virus/ spyware
> programmes are probably set up to block them, check out there configureation.
> Why do you not use the most recent version of Internet Explorer, which is IE
> 7 ?
> --
> congoes girl
>

> "Robbywon" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get windows updates but when I go to Tools -- Windows Update,
> > I am taken to the Microsoft site but nothing happens. I have allowed ActiveX
> > on all levels. I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> > movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> > AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> > movie. I have run an indepth antivirus and antispyware scan an nothing but
> > the usual spyware in cookies is removed. Everything else from surfing to
> > different sites and using my trade software works fine. Any help is
> > appreciated. Thanks

congoes girl

RE: Windows update problems
HI,
What do you actually see on your screen when you go to windows updates?
You have said nothing happens but what is on your screen? blank page? error
code? ect.
--
congoes girl

"Robbywon" wrote:

> First of all thanks for answering my post, I have not used IE7 because I had
> IE7 a while back and had problems using it. I even tweaked IE7 to disable the
> Phishing filter and diassabled Pop-up Blocker, as well as other modifications
> in the Advanced and Security tab . I may try using it again soon if I can't
> get IE6 to work. I have also done some other things in IE6 I have disabled
> all add-ons when IE first comes up. Tried disabling and enabling each add-on
> to correct the problem. Have disabled Anti-virus and anti-spyware, but not
> windows firewall. Have set IE6 back to Default mode on all levels. Have
> installed a new modem and run test. Have installed directly to my modem and
> gotten rid of my router. Even run speed test on the DSL connection but speed
> test are fine. Still the problem remains.
>
> "congoes girl" wrote:
>
> > What are you actually doing when you get to the W. Updates page,?
> > Are you running vista? Have u NOT enabled updates to "Automatiic updates
> > where you can customise to down load & install inportant updates
> > automatically at a set time of your preference?
> > As for "I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> > > movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> > > AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> > > movie"

> > You have probably answered your own question as your anti virus/ spyware
> > programmes are probably set up to block them, check out there configureation.
> > Why do you not use the most recent version of Internet Explorer, which is IE
> > 7 ?
> > --
> > congoes girl
> >

> > "Robbywon" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to get windows updates but when I go to Tools -- Windows Update,
> > > I am taken to the Microsoft site but nothing happens. I have allowed ActiveX
> > > on all levels. I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> > > movies from Newgrounds and have to close IE6. this could be a problem with my
> > > AVG Malware, in that when I drop the anti-spyware, I am allowed to download a
> > > movie. I have run an indepth antivirus and antispyware scan an nothing but
> > > the usual spyware in cookies is removed. Everything else from surfing to
> > > different sites and using my trade software works fine. Any help is
> > > appreciated. Thanks

Robbywon

RE: Windows update problems
I was able to get Windows Updates to scan my computer with ActiveX to see if
I need updates. and the only updates it recommends is IE7 and a HPMemeories
Disk Creator. Both of which I don't need at this time. I also have a DSL
technician coming to check out this problem. I have also installed new phone
line filters and a new modem since we last wrote but still the problems
looms. I have also tweaked my email server to not time out as well. Still
having IE6 freeze on me. I have installed the lastest updates since we spoke
on my anti-virus as well, was able to download 1 to 2 movies on Newgrounds,
but the 3rd flash froze IE6 on a .gif file. I scanned my computer for Spyware
afterwards but found nothing dangerous, just tracking cookies. Also performed
a complete scan but found nothing. This could be a problem with the Internet
connection itself the more I get into this. Any suggestions?

"congoes girl" wrote:

> HI,
> What do you actually see on your screen when you go to windows updates?
> You have said nothing happens but what is on your screen? blank page? error
> code? ect.
> --
> congoes girl
>

> "Robbywon" wrote:
>
> > First of all thanks for answering my post, I have not used IE7 because I had
> > IE7 a while back and had problems using it. I even tweaked IE7 to disable the
> > Phishing filter and diassabled Pop-up Blocker, as well as other modifications
> > in the Advanced and Security tab . I may try using it again soon if I can't
> > get IE6 to work. I have also done some other things in IE6 I have disabled
> > all add-ons when IE first comes up. Tried disabling and enabling each add-on
> > to correct the problem. Have disabled Anti-virus and anti-spyware, but not
> > windows firewall. Have set IE6 back to Default mode on all levels. Have
> > installed a new modem and run test. Have installed directly to my modem and
> > gotten rid of my router. Even run speed test on the DSL connection but speed
> > test are fine. Still the problem remains.
> >
> > "congoes girl" wrote:
> >
> > > What are you actually doing when you get to the W. Updates page,?
> > > Are you running vista? Have u NOT enabled updates to "Automatiic updates
> > > where you can customise to down load & install inportant updates
> > > automatically at a set time of your preference?
> > > As for "I am also having my computer freeze when trying to download
> > > You have probably answered your own question as your anti virus/ spyware
> > > programmes are probably set up to block them, check out there configureation.
> > > Why do you not use the most recent version of Internet Explorer, which is IE
> > > 7 ?
> > > --
> > > congoes girl

congoes girl

RE: Windows update problems

-- Have you performed your spyware & anti virus apps in safe mode, If not
then I would do so as this would be the best way to scan, it will take longer
but is nessasary.
ALSO try another web browser, say firefox which you can get from here, .
www.mozilla.com/firefox/ it may work great on your machine.
congoes girl

"Robbywon" wrote:

> I was able to get Windows Updates to scan my computer with ActiveX to see if
> I need updates. and the only updates it recommends is IE7 and a HPMemeories
> Disk Creator. Both of which I don't need at this time. I also have a DSL
> technician coming to check out this problem. I have also installed new phone
> line filters and a new modem since we last wrote but still the problems
> looms. I have also tweaked my email server to not time out as well. Still
> having IE6 freeze on me. I have installed the lastest updates since we spoke
> on my anti-virus as well, was able to download 1 to 2 movies on Newgrounds,
> but the 3rd flash froze IE6 on a .gif file. I scanned my computer for Spyware
> afterwards but found nothing dangerous, just tracking cookies. Also performed
> a complete scan but found nothing. This could be a problem with the Internet
> connection itself the more I get into this. Any suggestions?
>
> "congoes girl" wrote:
>
> > HI,
> > What do you actually see on your screen when you go to windows updates?
> > You have said nothing happens but what is on your screen? blank page? error
> > code? ect.
> > --
> > congoes girl
> >

> > "Robbywon" wrote:
> >
> > > First of all thanks for answering my post, I have not used IE7 because I had
> > > IE7 a while back and had problems using it. I even tweaked IE7 to disable the
> > > Phishing filter and diassabled Pop-up Blocker, as well as other modifications
> > > in the Advanced and Security tab . I may try using it again soon if I can't
> > > get IE6 to work. I have also done some other things in IE6 I have disabled
> > > all add-ons when IE first comes up. Tried disabling and enabling each add-on
> > > to correct the problem. Have disabled Anti-virus and anti-spyware, but not
> > > windows firewall. Have set IE6 back to Default mode on all levels. Have
> > > installed a new modem and run test. Have installed directly to my modem and
> > > gotten rid of my router. Even run speed test on the DSL connection but speed
> > > test are fine. Still the problem remains.

Robbywon

RE: Windows update problems
performed a safe mode scan and no out of the ordinary spyware found. will try
Firefox since I can keep IE6 or 7 as well when I have Firefox. Also have a
technician from phone company coming tomorrow. Computer and Internet crashed
at same time past 3 days at same time of day. 3pm central so something is up
with servers or phone line from phone wall outlet to line outside. All
programs failed to operate during this time.