Error Code 80070BC9 and 800B0100

happy to be here

Error Code 80070BC9 and 800B0100
When I try to install my windows vista updates I keep recieving failed and
the above error codes. I contacted microsoft and they say my files are
corrupted and for a fee they will fix them I am a novice at this so need
some good advice - any help will be greatly appreciated
clou

RE: Error Code 80070BC9 and 800B0100
I have to conclude that looking at all of these posts tonite and today, there
is definitely a problem. I am gonna just hold tight here.
--
helpless...

"happy to be here" wrote:

> When I try to install my windows vista updates I keep recieving failed and
> the above error codes. I contacted microsoft and they say my files are
> corrupted and for a fee they will fix them I am a novice at this so need
> some good advice - any help will be greatly appreciated

TaurArian

Re: Error Code 80070BC9 and 800B0100
Hi there, I can only post what others have tried and had some success with -

CJ posted what worked for him -

<snip>

For me this was the solution:

1. Click Start, on "Start Search", type "cmd" (without quotations mark) and right click
the command prompt icon select Run as Administrator.
2. In command prompt, type the following command and Enter: regsvr32 wintrust.dll

If this doesn't work for you try the following:

1. Disable any Firewall, Antivirus, download accelerator software.

Firewalls and Antivirus programs are 3rd Party (non-Microsoft) Programs, and although they
are mostly effective in protecting your computer from Viruses and Computer hackers, they
do fail to take into consideration program installations. The nature of these programs is
that they scan everything on the computer, making sure to try and stop any virus-like
activity.

When you visit Windows Update and download, and most importantly install any of the
updates, the update installation is always battled by the Antivirus and Firewall until the
Antivirus clears the program of being a virus. In most cases, this is harmless and the
Update installation goes through successfully. Occasionally, the Installation gets
corrupted, and a process during the install is stopped, or interfered with by the
Antivirus product.

For this reason, we suggest that you disable any Antivirus or Firewall software while
trying to install updates from Windows Update.

2. Verify the Language Settings

2.1. Start Internet Explorer.

2.2. Click "Tools", and then click "Internet Options".

2.3. Click the "General" tab, and then click "Languages".

2.4. In the "Language" list, make sure that the operating system language
version is included. If the operating system language version is not on the
list, click "Add", click the language in the "Language" list, click "OK",
click "OK", and then click "OK" again.

3. Reset Internet Zone Security

3.1. Start Internet Explorer.

3.2. Click "Tools", and then click "Internet Options".

3.3. Click the "Security" tab, and then in the" Select a Web content zone to specify its
security settings" box, click "Internet".

3.4. Click "Default Level", and then click "Apply" to set this zone to Medium security.

3.5. Click "OK".

4. Verify that the Date and Time Are Set Correctly

4.1 In the bottom right corner of your screen, double click the time. This will open the
Date and Time Properties window.

4.2 Please check that all details are correct including the year, the Time zone and that
AM/PM is set correctly.

4.3 Click OK.

If the problem persists despite performing above troubleshooting steps, I'd like you to
perform below guidelines to download and install a new Windows Update Agent as the current
one might be corrupted.

1. Open Internet Explorer and paste on address bar
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237 (for 32 bit) or
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91238 (for 64 bit)

2. A box will prompt to save a the Windows Update Agent file, save it on the Local C:
drive.

3. Click Start, on "Start Search", type "cmd" (without quotation mark), right click the
command prompt icon and Run as Administrator.

4. Type c:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce in the command prompt and Enter.

5. Follow the instructions to install the Windows Update Agent.

6. Please restart the computer after the installation.

7. After restarting the PC, click on Start and choose Windows Update and it will open a
new Internet browser.

8. A box will prompt asking permission to install the Windows Update software, click
Install and proceed to download the updates.

If it still fails, type the following commands in command prompt, pressing ENTER after
each line:

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

Hope this works for you too!

Regards,
CJohn

<snip>

Another user posted this:

<snip> This seems that there is a system issue which blocked the self update for Windows
Update Agent. To resolve this issue, we can perform an in-place upgrade to replace the
corrupted files. The in-place upgrade will only replace the system files and do not remove
any installed applications. So, it is safe for us. However, it requires you have the
installation CD and product key for Vista. If you do not have the CD and key, please let
me know.

If you would like to perform the in-place upgrade, let's refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

.. If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.
Click Install now.

.. If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to
upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

<snip>

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"happy to be here" <happytobehere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news818BA9C-CA77-47F5-B3A5-9904C7D7ADC4@microsoft.com...
| When I try to install my windows vista updates I keep recieving failed and
| the above error codes. I contacted microsoft and they say my files are
| corrupted and for a fee they will fix them I am a novice at this so need
| some good advice - any help will be greatly appreciated

makkyo

Re: Error Code 80070BC9 and 800B0100
I attempted to install the new windows update agent, per your instructions,
by using /wuforce in the command prompt. However, in the middle of installing
the new update agent, it fails, giving me the (same) error code, 0x80070BC9.
ahmedhazem84