Constant re-updating

Bob

Constant re-updating
This udate has been installed so many times that I quit counting. It is
installing over and over. It is successful every time but then it wants to
do it again. The exact same update. How do I get it to stop and realize
that it has already installed this?

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Installation date: ‎2/‎21/‎2008 3:00 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

MowGreen [MVP]

RE: Constant re-updating
See the ' Known issues with this security update ' heading here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

"Bob" wrote:

> This udate has been installed so many times that I quit counting. It is
> installing over and over. It is successful every time but then it wants to
> do it again. The exact same update. How do I get it to stop and realize
> that it has already installed this?
>

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>
> Installation date: ‎2/‎21/‎2008 3:00 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
> that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=88350
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com

TaurArian

Re: Constant re-updating
From Microsoft Help/Support as posted by another user

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility

1. Visit the following link to download the utility:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file to the computer.

3. Install this tool on the computer.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software

=========================

1. Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Windows Installer Clean Up.

2. See if you can find MSXML software. If so, remove them.

3. Restart the computer.

After that, please try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML 4.0
SP2 Security Update KB925672 and KB927978.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

================================

1. Please download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and the related updates from the
following links and save them to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...936181-enu.exe

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
follow the directions to save them to the Desktop.

3. After downloading the MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 setup file and its updates
on to the Desktop, please double-click the files to manually install them one
by one.

--
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia