Windows Security Update

John Watt

Windows Security Update
I have XP Professional with SP1 and was able with LeechFTP to upload and
publish my web pages to my hosting company no problem. Then inexplicably this
all changed on the 15th of February and I have since been unable to update my
Customer web pages with either LeechFTP, Filezilla or CoreFTP. After
investigation it appears I have received three security updates on the date
everything stopped working. (I was getting a socket error) When I removed the
SECURITY UPDATES (KB 944533 & 943055 & 946026) I still was unable to upload
my web pages. But low and behold if I drop my firewall everything is now
working. In terms of a security update this is a bit of a disaster and the
changes in my firewall appear irreparable. Is there any way I can
successfully use FTP without disabling my firewall?
John Watt

RE: Windows Security Update

"John Watt" wrote:

> I have XP Professional with SP1 and was able with LeechFTP to upload and
> publish my web pages to my hosting company no problem. Then inexplicably this
> all changed on the 15th of February and I have since been unable to update my
> Customer web pages with either LeechFTP, Filezilla or CoreFTP. After
> investigation it appears I have received three security updates on the date
> everything stopped working. (I was getting a socket error) When I removed the
> SECURITY UPDATES (KB 944533 & 943055 & 946026) I still was unable to upload
> my web pages. But low and behold if I drop my firewall everything is now
> working. In terms of a security update this is a bit of a disaster and the
> changes in my firewall appear irreparable. Is there any way I can
> successfully use FTP without disabling my firewall?

PS Line 1 should of course read XP Professional with SP2

Re: Windows Security Update
What firewall?

John Watt wrote:
>> I have XP Professional with SP1 and was able with LeechFTP to upload and
>> publish my web pages to my hosting company no problem. Then inexplicably
>> this all changed on the 15th of February and I have since been unable to
>> update my Customer web pages with either LeechFTP, Filezilla or CoreFTP.
>> After investigation it appears I have received three security updates on
>> the date everything stopped working. (I was getting a socket error) When
>> removed the SECURITY UPDATES (KB 944533 & 943055 & 946026) I still was
>> unable to upload my web pages. But low and behold if I drop my firewall
>> everything is now working. In terms of a security update this is a bit of
>> a disaster and the changes in my firewall appear irreparable. Is there
>> any
>> way I can successfully use FTP without disabling my firewall?

> PS Line 1 should of course read XP Professional with SP2

John Watt

Re: Windows Security Update
I use the Windows XP Firewall, the FTP products are named exceptions in the
firewall settings.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What firewall?
>
> John Watt wrote:
> >> I have XP Professional with SP1 and was able with LeechFTP to upload and
> >> publish my web pages to my hosting company no problem. Then inexplicably
> >> this all changed on the 15th of February and I have since been unable to
> >> update my Customer web pages with either LeechFTP, Filezilla or CoreFTP.
> >> After investigation it appears I have received three security updates on
> >> the date everything stopped working. (I was getting a socket error) When
> >> removed the SECURITY UPDATES (KB 944533 & 943055 & 946026) I still was
> >> unable to upload my web pages. But low and behold if I drop my firewall
> >> everything is now working. In terms of a security update this is a bit of
> >> a disaster and the changes in my firewall appear irreparable. Is there
> >> any
> >> way I can successfully use FTP without disabling my firewall?

> > PS Line 1 should of course read XP Professional with SP2

Re: Windows Security Update
You'd best open a free support incident about this problem, John. The
machine should NEVER be connected to the internet or any networks without
the Windows Firewall or a third-party software fireall (but not both)
enabled.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net