Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Microsoft admits installing KB937287 with other windows updates will not work, and as pulled the patch. Therefore you have to install KB937287 seperately and preferably as a standalone then KB938371 and other patches should install OK. The problem caused many machines to multi-boot with unsuccesful installs, and in some cases failed to system restore.
The standalone patchs can be found at:
kingull

RE: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
The latest Microsoft trick is to disable yourv screensaver and replace it
with screens saying how great Vista is. Looks like Linux will be my operating
system very soon.

"TUNKYTOY" wrote:

> Microsoft admits installing KB937287 with other windows updates will not
> work, and as pulled the patch. Therefore you have to install KB937287
> seperately and preferably as a standalone then KB938371 and other
> patches should install OK. The problem caused many machines to
> multi-boot with unsuccesful installs, and in some cases failed to system
> restore.
> The standalone patchs can be found at:
> 'Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)'
> (http://tinyurl.com/2l3vdl)
>

> --
> TUNKYTOY

MowGreen [MVP]

TUNKYTOY wrote:

> Some people go to the c:\Windows\software distribution and delete the Datastore
> folder where copies are kept and disable windows update in Services
> which sometimes work sometimes not.

NO, that's incorrect. The DataStore folder does NOT hold updates, it
holds DATA concerning the updates and transaction logs for said updates.

The updates are stored in
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Pert ... go to the MS Download center, download KB938371 and SAVE it -

Update for Windows Vista (KB938371) [32 Bit]

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938371)

Close the browser and any other open programs after the download completes.
Now install KB938371 and restart the system if requested to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

TUNKYTOY wrote:

> To Pert
>
> So it was a typo OK.
> The KB937287 just helps windows update to perform better so why would
> you want to uninstall it anyway? I assume you obviously want the
> KB938371 installation needed the upcoming SP release in March. Did you
> try installing this KB938371 standalone after disabling the windows
> firewall, ani-virus programs and being OFFLINE? If you didn't use the
> standalone windows tries to install the original download. Some people
> go to the c:\Windows\software distribution and delete the Datastore
> folder where copies are kept and disable windows update in Services
> which sometimes work sometimes not.
>
> Hope you can resolve your problem.

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
From what I understand/remember, 937287 comes after 938371 is installed and you've
rebooted.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"pert" <pert.35hdwf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
newsert.35hdwf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

| I understood from your previous message that there was a bug in KB937287
| and that I was supposed to uninstall it and install a stand-alone
| version of it instead in order to be able to install KB938371. Maybe I
| misunderstood?
|

| --
| pert

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
No, KB937287 was not installing properly and causing continual
rebooting. That was not a bug or the issue would have occurred on many
more systems than it has so far.

You stated:

> The update that can not be uninstalled, according
> to the Microsoft article about it, is KB937287. It does appear in the
> list of installed updates but I don't get the uninstall icon when I
> select it.

Which is why I suggested that you attempt manually installing
KB938371 since it would not install automatically:

> KB937287 installed successfully on my system but
> KB938371 has failed to install multiple times.

IMHO, installing KB937287 first, then KB938371 should NOT present any
issues since KB937287 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287 )

KB938371 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938371 )

> updates several internal components that Windows Vista requires in order to install or to
> remove Windows Vista Service Pack 1 more reliably

KB937287 *should* be of assistance when installing ANY updates, language
packs, etc. in Vista, pre-SP1 or post-SP1.

KB938371 is intended *specifically* for installing/removing Vista SP1
'more reliably'.

Clear ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

pert wrote:
> I understood from your previous message that there was a bug in KB937287
> and that I was supposed to uninstall it and install a stand-alone
> version of it instead in order to be able to install KB938371. Maybe I
> misunderstood?

Willem Overbeeke

Re: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Sorry to but in on this conversation, but I have a similar issue to the
originator's, which does not seem to be resolved by the suggestions thus far:

During the original February Patch exercise I was able to install KB937287
OK, without going into the infinite reboot loop, and I left it installed (in
line with the recommendations in this thread).

However, KB938371 failed after a successful download and initial install
during the reboot phase (installation unsuccessful, followed by a renewed
shutdown, a restart/repair, a renewed startup and the WAU message
"installation failed").

I have already tried installing it stand-alone as suggested above, with all
"disables" in place (even going one step further and disabling all non
MS-services at system startup. However, the result was the same.

For the rest my system is running smoothly and has been stable for a
considerable time, so I do not really see any indication of a VISTA
corruption. Any other suggestions I could try?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> No, KB937287 was not installing properly and causing continual
> rebooting. That was not a bug or the issue would have occurred on many
> more systems than it has so far.
>
> You stated:
>
> > The update that can not be uninstalled, according
> > to the Microsoft article about it, is KB937287. It does appear in the
> > list of installed updates but I don't get the uninstall icon when I
> > select it.

> Which is why I suggested that you attempt manually installing
> KB938371 since it would not install automatically:
>
> > KB937287 installed successfully on my system but
> > KB938371 has failed to install multiple times.

> IMHO, installing KB937287 first, then KB938371 should NOT present any
> issues since KB937287 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287 )
>
> > contains updates to the Windows Vista installation software. The installation software is the
> > component that handles the installation and the removal of software updates, language packs,
> > optional Windows features, and service packs.

> KB938371 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938371 )
>
> > updates several internal components that Windows Vista requires in order to install or to
> > remove Windows Vista Service Pack 1 more reliably

> KB937287 *should* be of assistance when installing ANY updates, language
> packs, etc. in Vista, pre-SP1 or post-SP1.
>
> KB938371 is intended *specifically* for installing/removing Vista SP1
> 'more reliably'.
>
> Clear ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> pert wrote:
> > I understood from your previous message that there was a bug in KB937287
> > and that I was supposed to uninstall it and install a stand-alone
> > version of it instead in order to be able to install KB938371. Maybe I
> > misunderstood?

Re: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Willem, it'd be best to begin your own thread about your issues, please, so
that your post isn't lost in the shuffle here. In all fairness, you should
always state your Windows version in each of your new posts and mention any
other issues you're facing.

[Willem is running Vista Ultimate with ZA Security Suite installed. He's
also been unable to install either of the last two IE updates due to
"staging errors" (SRX1058750354).]
--
~Robear

Willem Overbeeke wrote:
> Sorry to but in on this conversation, but I have a similar issue to the
> originator's, which does not seem to be resolved by the suggestions thus
> far:
>
> During the original February Patch exercise I was able to install KB937287
> OK, without going into the infinite reboot loop, and I left it installed
> (in
> line with the recommendations in this thread).
>
> However, KB938371 failed after a successful download and initial install
> during the reboot phase (installation unsuccessful, followed by a renewed
> shutdown, a restart/repair, a renewed startup and the WAU message
> "installation failed").
>
> I have already tried installing it stand-alone as suggested above, with
> all
> "disables" in place (even going one step further and disabling all non
> MS-services at system startup. However, the result was the same.
>
> For the rest my system is running smoothly and has been stable for a
> considerable time, so I do not really see any indication of a VISTA
> corruption. Any other suggestions I could try?

<snip>

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There seems to be alot of confusion, as far as I am concerned, on this topic due the fact of having two threads running with the same header. This one
Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems

and this one: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems

Note difference 197640 and 197639

My thread starter message appears first in both, why two I don't know, and subsequently have posted replies to questions in both. But it seems that both threads are not being read therefore there isn't any continuity with questions and answers. Questions in one thread has probably been covered in the other. Relevant input by MowGreen {MVP] with corrections appear in 19740 but none in 19739 which again may have already been covered.

I suggest that those interested in this topic view both threads.