Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Microsoft admits installing KB937287 with other windows updates will not work, and as pulled the patch. Therefore you have to install KB937287 seperately and preferably as a standalone then KB938371 and other patches should install OK. The problem caused many machines to multi-boot with unsuccesful installs, and in some cases failed to system restore.
The standalone patchs can be found at:
Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)

Location: Sweden
pert is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How uninstall KB937287
Thanks for the tip. KB937287 installed successfully on my system but KB938371 has failed to install multiple times. How do I uninstall KB937287? It says in the Microsoft info about KB938727 that it cannot be uninstalled.

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re KB937287 uninstall
To Pert

The post you are replying to was a follow up from my earlier post on installing KB937287 and KB938371. The original post was as follows:

KB938371 installation
Having failed 3 times to install KB938371 I succesfully did the following
Go to Download details: Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)
Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)
Download standalones KB937287-x86.msu and KB938371-x86.msu
Disable UAC, Anti-virus, Windows firewall and disconnect from internet
Install KB937287 (no reboot required) then KB938371 reboot and it succesfully installs without multi bootups.

If you have installed KB937287 OK then follow the above disables instructions before installing KB938371 standalone and rebooting.

Your post is misleading with the quote that KB938727 cannot be uninstalled. Where does this update come in to play unless it is a typo?

If you go to the uninstall update page on your machine you should see the list of updates that can be uninstalled and on my machine both KB937287 and KB938371 are in the list.
Most replies I have had the above has worked OK.

Location: Sweden
pert is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, it was a typo! The update that can not be uninstalled, according to the Microsoft article about it, is KB937287. It does appear in the list of installed updates but I don't get the uninstall icon when I select it. This corresponds well with the info from Microsoft but it doesn't exactly help me follow your procedure.

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB937287 uninstall
To Pert

So it was a typo OK.
The KB937287 just helps windows update to perform better so why would you want to uninstall it anyway? I assume you obviously want the KB938371 installation needed the upcoming SP release in March. Did you try installing this KB938371 standalone after disabling the windows firewall, ani-virus programs and being OFFLINE? If you didn't use the standalone windows tries to install the original download. Some people go to the c:\Windows\software distribution and delete the Datastore folder where copies are kept and disable windows update in Services which sometimes work sometimes not.

Hope you can resolve your problem.

Location: Sweden
pert is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understood from your previous message that there was a bug in KB937287 and that I was supposed to uninstall it and install a stand-alone version of it instead in order to be able to install KB938371. Maybe I misunderstood?

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pert: KB937287
The problem with KB937287 I understand was not a bug but the fact of causing problems when installing with a group of updates instead of a individual install. I picked this up from the following article after multiple update failures and reboots;

In what is hopefully not a harbinger of bad tidings for Vista SP1 itself, Microsoft product manager Nick White announced in the Windows Vista blog on Feb. 19 that patch 937287 was being pulled from distribution due to the issues it was causing on some machines.

You can prevent the reboot problem from occurring by installing patch 937287 separately, not at the same time as any other updates. Several people have been able to fix affected machines by rolling Windows back to an earlier restore point, and then installing 937287 manually. This procedure has been described in Joaquim Anguas's blog.

To obtain 937287 and install it separately, you should visit Microsoft's official Download Center to get the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version.
End Quote

As you see it just needs to be installed alone first then KB938371 standalone should install OK.. As you can't uninstall your 937287 you could follow the above system restore procedure and install both manually. And as a safety factor disable Firewall, Anti-virus, browser and Offline when installing.

I also made an error in my previous message when I said that some people had deleted C:\Windows\Software Distribution\datastore it should read C:\Windows\Software Distribution\download. Doing this looses your download list of previous updates.

Hope the above helps you out of your predicament.