windows defender update

C Cunard

windows defender update
Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
What can I do to make it except the update?
--
C Cunard

Re: windows defender update
Can you update manually by downloading definition updates via the right-hand
menu here? =>

Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

C Cunard wrote:
> Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
> What can I do to make it except the update?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: windows defender update
"C Cunard" <CCunard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
> What can I do to make it except the update?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c= 0x36B1
14001
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

This application has failed to start because the application configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

</cmd_output>

> --
> C Cunard

Mike Cebula

Re: windows defender update
Same basic problem with same error code. Manually downloaded the definition
update and let it run. Guess is that it ran but never told me anything - ok,
error, or whatever. R0x800736B1 an Windows Update again to see if it still
said I needed the update. Yup. Told it to install it. (Didn't need download,
alreadh on pc.) FAILED again.

0x800736B1 code is not very informative. Best I can guess reading through
various forums is a .dll file (or files?) may be missing - no clue just what.

Help!

Mike

"Mike Cebula" <Mike Cebula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74532281-E3F7-4EC4-B22F-1D788A18EF00@microsoft.com...
> Same basic problem with same error code. Manually downloaded the definition
> update and let it run. Guess is that it ran but never told me anything - ok,
> error, or whatever. R0x800736B1 an Windows Update again to see if it still
> said I needed the update. Yup. Told it to install it. (Didn't need download,
> alreadh on pc.) FAILED again.
>

> 0x800736B1 code is not very informative. Best I can guess reading through
> various forums is a .dll file (or files?) may be missing - no clue just what.

I doubt it. Where did you get that idea?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x36B1
14001
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
</cmd_output>

BTW I only recently installed WD, so that may be why I can see that message.
I was actually expecting that it would be an unknown message number. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Help!
>
> Mike
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Can you update manually by downloading definition updates via the right-hand
>> menu here? =>
>>
>> Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> C Cunard wrote:
>> > Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
>> > What can I do to make it except the update?

Re: windows defender update
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem, Mike.

Mike Cebula wrote:
> Same basic problem with same error code. Manually downloaded the
> definition
> update and let it run. Guess is that it ran but never told me anything -
> ok,
> error, or whatever. R0x800736B1 an Windows Update again to see if it
> still
> said I needed the update. Yup. Told it to install it. (Didn't need
> download,
> alreadh on pc.) FAILED again.
>

> 0x800736B1 code is not very informative. Best I can guess reading through
> various forums is a .dll file (or files?) may be missing - no clue just
> what.
>
> Help!
>
> Mike
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Can you update manually by downloading definition updates via the
>> right-hand menu here? =>
>>
>> Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> C Cunard wrote:
>>> Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
>>> What can I do to make it except the update?

Mike Cebula

Re: windows defender update
Did uninstall of Defender, then reinstalled. Problem no longer exists -
unless next update fails with same/similar error code. Will open new thread
if that occurs.

Mike