KB923694 still keeps installing

Matty

KB923694 still keeps installing
My OS = WinXP Pro SP2

I've had this problem for more than half a year now.

I had XP home last year and then upgraded to XP Pro SP2. The earliest date
I've installed KB923694 was August 2007 based on a message I posted to the
forum last year. I may have installed this earlier but I'm not sure when
specifically.
Over the course of 6 months, I've tried uninstalling it and installing via
the MS Update webpage.
I've also tried uninstalling and installing by downloading the hotfix from
the MS Download Center.

Based on the Update History on the MS Update webpage (history only goes as
far back as Sept. 11, 2007), this hotfix had been installed 18 times:
Feb. 2008 - 3 successful, 1 failed installs - Automatic update
Jan. 2008 - 5 successful, 4 failed installs - 8 Automatic, 1 MS update
Nov. 2007 - 5 successful installs - Automatic update

I don't have update history entries for this hotfix in other months of 2007
after August probably because I've set Automatic Updates to not remind me to
install his hotfix. By Nov. 2007, I turned on Automatic Updates again
expecting that the problem would be nonexistent already. The problem is
still there as you can see from all the install entries iin Jan and Feb
2008.

Questions:
1. Why are Automatic Update and MS Update not detecting this hotfix as
installed?
2. Does KB923694 wanting to be installed, even though it's already
installed, mean that the hotfix isn't working? Or does this just reflect
that something is wrong with the update process itself?
3. Should I keep on telling Automatic Update/MS Update to ignore this
hotfix? Or do I let Automatic Update keep installing it? Why?
4. If the answer to #3 is NO, how do I install this hotfix correctly so that
Automatic Update and MS Update will stop from installing it repeatedly?

Thank you for any clarification and advice you can give.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: KB923694 still keeps installing
"Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
> My OS = WinXP Pro SP2
>
> I've had this problem for more than half a year now.
>
> I had XP home last year and then upgraded to XP Pro SP2. The earliest date
> I've installed KB923694 was August 2007 based on a message I posted to the
> forum last year. I may have installed this earlier but I'm not sure when
> specifically.
> Over the course of 6 months, I've tried uninstalling it and installing via
> the MS Update webpage.
> I've also tried uninstalling and installing by downloading the hotfix from
> the MS Download Center.

Have you tried checking whether the modules are actually being changed? ; o
(Something blocking them from being changed would be the most likely
reason for your symptom.)

Tip: use the TechNet Security Bulletin associated with this update.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-076.mspx

drill down to the File Information for your OS and use OE's Help, About
dialog to see if the versions of the modules being used are the ones
you would expect when that update (or a superseding one) is installed.
E.g. the only one listed that I can't check that way is wabimp.dll
which I can then check by opening either %ProgramFiles\Outlook Express\
or %windir%\System32\dllcache\

> Based on the Update History on the MS Update webpage (history only goes as
> far back as Sept. 11, 2007), this hotfix had been installed 18 times:
> Feb. 2008 - 3 successful, 1 failed installs - Automatic update
> Jan. 2008 - 5 successful, 4 failed installs - 8 Automatic, 1 MS update
> Nov. 2007 - 5 successful installs - Automatic update
>
> I don't have update history entries for this hotfix in other months of 2007
> after August probably because I've set Automatic Updates to not remind me to
> install his hotfix. By Nov. 2007, I turned on Automatic Updates again
> expecting that the problem would be nonexistent already. The problem is
> still there as you can see from all the install entries iin Jan and Feb
> 2008.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Why are Automatic Update and MS Update not detecting this hotfix as
> installed?

Are you trying to force this update? FYI it has apparently been superseded
by

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-034.mspx

So an even more pertinent question would be why are you not being offered
that one? (e.g. assuming your OS is XPsp2 as you claim.)

Perhaps just doing a manual install of that one would make the other one
go away or at least give you ample justification for blocking the older one.

> 2. Does KB923694 wanting to be installed, even though it's already
> installed, mean that the hotfix isn't working? Or does this just reflect
> that something is wrong with the update process itself?
> 3. Should I keep on telling Automatic Update/MS Update to ignore this
> hotfix? Or do I let Automatic Update keep installing it? Why?
> 4. If the answer to #3 is NO, how do I install this hotfix correctly so that
> Automatic Update and MS Update will stop from installing it repeatedly?
>
> Thank you for any clarification and advice you can give.

Work out the details and then post back if you need more help.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Matty

Re: KB923694 still keeps installing
>> RobertAdwinckle: Have you tried checking whether the modules are actually
>> being changed? ; o

>(Something blocking them from being changed would be the most likely
>reason for your symptom.)

msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>>> RobertAdwinckle: Are you trying to force this update? FYI it has
>>> apparently been superseded

> by http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-034.mspx
> So an even more pertinent question would be why are you not being offered
> that one? (e.g. assuming your OS is XPsp2 as you claim.)

I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs. So,
presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because it's
already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening with
KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.

Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS Download
Centre. Restarted.
msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.

Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my computer.
So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
that's already installed?

Matty

>>> RobertAdwinckle: Have you tried checking whether the modules are
>>> actually being changed? ; o

>>(Something blocking them from being changed would be the most likely
>>reason for your symptom.)

> msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>> by http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-034.mspx
>> So an even more pertinent question would be why are you not being offered
>> that one? (e.g. assuming your OS is XPsp2 as you claim.)

> I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs. So,
> presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because
> it's already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening
> with KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.
>
> Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
> Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS Download
> Centre. Restarted.
> msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.
>
> Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
> They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my computer.
> So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
> Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
> that's already installed?

Argghh.
I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe file
from MS Download Centre, restarted.
AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.

Matty wrote:
> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>> (Something blocking them from being changed would be the most likely
>>> reason for your symptom.)

>> msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>>> by http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-034.mspx
>>> So an even more pertinent question would be why are you not being
>>> offered
>>> that one? (e.g. assuming your OS is XPsp2 as you claim.)

>> I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs. So,
>> presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because
>> it's already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening
>> with KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.
>>
>> Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
>> Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS Download
>> Centre. Restarted.
>> msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.
>>
>> Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
>> They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my computer.
>> So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
>> Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
>> that's already installed?
>>

> Argghh.
> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
> file
> from MS Download Centre, restarted.
> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.

Ignore it.

Clear History, delete Cookies and delete Temporary Internet Files (including
offline files) via IE: Tools | Options | General, then log on as
Administrator (if WinXP Pro)...

1. Download KB941202, saving it to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-8ae71ad54e18

2. Close Outlook Express, should it be open.

[Optional: Reboot into Safe Mode]

3. Rename the downloaded file to KB941202.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the root
directory of drive C; assumes drive C is the boot drive)

4. Start | Run | (type in) C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V (Note the space!) | press
[ENTER]

5. Close the command window & reboot.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Matty

> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>>(Something blocking them from being changed would be the most likely
>>>reason for your symptom.)

>> msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>>> by http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-034.mspx
>>> So an even more pertinent question would be why are you not being
>>> offered
>>> that one? (e.g. assuming your OS is XPsp2 as you claim.)

>> I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs. So,
>> presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because
>> it's already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening
>> with KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.
>>
>> Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
>> Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS Download
>> Centre. Restarted.
>> msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.
>>
>> Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
>> They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my computer.
>> So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
>> Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
>> that's already installed?
>>

> Argghh.
> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
> file from MS Download Centre, restarted.
> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.

So, I uninstalled KB941202 and KB929123.
Restarted.
Went to MS Update. It offered KB941202 so I installed it from the MS Update
site.
Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123. Installed it
from the MS Update site.
Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123 again!

Matty wrote:
> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>>> I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs.
>>> So,
>>> presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because
>>> it's already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening
>>> with KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.
>>>
>>> Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
>>> Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS
>>> Download
>>> Centre. Restarted.
>>> msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.
>>>
>>> Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
>>> They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my
>>> computer.
>>> So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
>>> Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
>>> that's already installed?
>>>

>> Argghh.
>> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
>> file from MS Download Centre, restarted.
>> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.
>>

> So, I uninstalled KB941202 and KB929123.
> Restarted.
> Went to MS Update. It offered KB941202 so I installed it from the MS
> Update
> site.
> Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123. Installed it
> from the MS Update site.
> Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123 again!

Are you posting here using the machine in question, Matty?

> Matty wrote:
>> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Argghh.
>>> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
>>> file from MS Download Centre, restarted.
>>> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.
>>>

>> So, I uninstalled KB941202 and KB929123.
>> Restarted.
>> Went to MS Update. It offered KB941202 so I installed it from the MS
>> Update
>> site.
>> Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123. Installed
>> it
>> from the MS Update site.
>> Checked for updates again on MS Update. It offered KB929123 again!

> Are you posting here using the machine in question, Matty?

Yes, I'm posting here using the machine in question.
Just a note, because KB929123 and KB941202 are already installed and I'm
ignoring further offers to install them again, AutoUpdate just installed
KB911567.

I'll exit now and follow the steps you outlined in your previous post, Feb.
29, 10:20 p.m. PST.

Matty

> Matty wrote:
>> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> msoe.dll version is 6.0.2900.3028

>>> I have both KB923694 and KB929123 in my list of Add/Remove Programs.
>>> So,
>>> presumably, the reason why MS Update isn't offering KB929123 is because
>>> it's already installed. Hmmm. Then, that contradicts what's happening
>>> with KB923694 - i.e., being offered even though it's already installed.
>>>
>>> Anyway, so what I did was uninstalled both KB923694 and KB929123.
>>> Restarted. Installed KB929123 using the downloaded file from MS
>>> Download
>>> Centre. Restarted.
>>> msoe.dll version is now 6.0.2900.3138.
>>>
>>> Autoupdate and MS update now do not offer KB923694.
>>> They're offering KB941202 which is also already installed in my
>>> computer.
>>> So I guess I should just uninstall/restart/reinstall from the Download
>>> Centre each time I get an offer from AutoUpdate & MSUpdate for a hotfix
>>> that's already installed?
>>>

>> Argghh.
>> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
>> file
>> from MS Download Centre, restarted.
>> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.

> Ignore it.
>
> Clear History, delete Cookies and delete Temporary Internet Files
> (including offline files) via IE: Tools | Options | General, then log on
> as Administrator (if WinXP Pro)...
>
> 1. Download KB941202, saving it to your desktop:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-8ae71ad54e18
>
> 2. Close Outlook Express, should it be open.
>
> [Optional: Reboot into Safe Mode]
>
> 3. Rename the downloaded file to KB941202.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the root
> directory of drive C; assumes drive C is the boot drive)
>
> 4. Start | Run | (type in) C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V (Note the space!) | press
> [ENTER]
>
> 5. Close the command window & reboot.

I followed your steps above for KB929123 and then KB941202.
I rebooted before running KB941202.

I typed the command like this: C:\KB929123.exe /N:V (space between
"exe" and "/N")

In both cases, a small dialog box appeared indicating "Extracting files...."
Then, a larger box appeared containing these info:
available switches: [/help]...
setup modes...
restart options...
special options....

I have a screenshot of this box but posting to a newsgroup using MSOE
doesn't allow pasting an image. (Why are newsgroups so text-based?)

So it seems that neither of these hotfixes were installed since installation
didn't go beyond showing me a dialog box containing the various switches to
use with it.

When I search for Updates using MSUpdates, it offers KB941202.

Based on previous experience:
- it will offer KB929123 only after it has installed KB941202.
- And then, it will keep offering KB929123 again and again.
- If I tell MSUpdate to ignore KB929123, it will then offer KB941202 again
and again.
- If I tell MSUpdate to ignore both KB929123 and KB941202, it will
repeatedly offer KB911567...

So, why didn't installing KB929123 and KB941202 via the command prompt work?
Did I type anything wrong?

Matty wrote:
>> Matty wrote:
>>> "Matty" <barenews@shaw.ca.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Argghh.
>>> I uninstalled KB941202, restarted, re-installed KB941202 using the exe
>>> file
>>> from MS Download Centre, restarted.
>>> AutoUpdate and MSUpdate are still reminding me to install KB941202.

>> Ignore it.
>>
>> Clear History, delete Cookies and delete Temporary Internet Files
>> (including offline files) via IE: Tools | Options | General, then log on
>> as Administrator (if WinXP Pro)...
>>
>> 1. Download KB941202, saving it to your desktop:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-8ae71ad54e18
>>
>> 2. Close Outlook Express, should it be open.
>>
>> [Optional: Reboot into Safe Mode]
>>
>> 3. Rename the downloaded file to KB941202.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the
>> root
>> directory of drive C; assumes drive C is the boot drive)
>>
>> 4. Start | Run | (type in) C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V (Note the space!) | press
>> [ENTER]
>>
>> 5. Close the command window & reboot.

> I followed your steps above for KB929123 and then KB941202.
> I rebooted before running KB941202.
>
> I typed the command like this: C:\KB929123.exe /N:V (space between
> "exe" and "/N")
>
> In both cases, a small dialog box appeared indicating "Extracting
> files...."
> Then, a larger box appeared containing these info:
> available switches: [/help]...
> setup modes...
> restart options...
> special options....
>
> I have a screenshot of this box but posting to a newsgroup using MSOE
> doesn't allow pasting an image. (Why are newsgroups so text-based?)
>
> So it seems that neither of these hotfixes were installed since
> installation
> didn't go beyond showing me a dialog box containing the various switches
> use with it.
>
> When I search for Updates using MSUpdates, it offers KB941202.
>
> Based on previous experience:
> - it will offer KB929123 only after it has installed KB941202.
> - And then, it will keep offering KB929123 again and again.
> - If I tell MSUpdate to ignore KB929123, it will then offer KB941202 again
> and again.
> - If I tell MSUpdate to ignore both KB929123 and KB941202, it will
> repeatedly offer KB911567...
>
> So, why didn't installing KB929123 and KB941202 via the command prompt
> work?
> Did I type anything wrong?

No, but I wish you'd waited until I'd gotten a chance to reply to the post
you made just before this one.

1. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore |
Restore my computer to an earlier date: Select the most recent Restore Point
that *predates* your following the instructions I posted above.

2. Reboot at the prompt then post a reply to this thread using OE. (I can
tell something from the headers of your post.)

3. For the time being, go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and scan
| Uncheck/deselect any OE updates and "hide" them ("Don't show me this
update again") | Install any other critical updates offered.

NB: I would not recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update, if it's not
already installed.

4. Await my reply to your post.
--
~PA Bear