Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows (KB938371) Can't Install

Grzyb [1000174]

Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows (KB938371) Can't Install
Hi All,

Is NE1 else having problems with this Update, All that happens to my machine
is that it asks to be shutdaown to Install Updates, Installs, then the same
thing happens....

I have tried Installing via Windows Update/Standalone, disabling UAC,
Anti-Virus etc, even deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, but nothing
has worked...

Can't use system restore as restore doesn't go back far enough, i.e before
the 12th of February

I have "hidden" the Update....

My qyestions are:

1) What is causing this problem, how do I solve it, or is a format the only
way??
2) Do I need this Update to Install SP1, or is it only used to Install SP1
via WU?? or will I still be able to Install SP1 via the standalone package??

Thanks For Any Advice

Grzyb

Susan Bradley

Re: Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows(KB938371) Can't Install
Grzyb [1000174] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is NE1 else having problems with this Update, All that happens to my
> machine
> is that it asks to be shutdaown to Install Updates, Installs, then the same
> thing happens....
>
> I have tried Installing via Windows Update/Standalone, disabling UAC,
> Anti-Virus etc, even deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, but nothing
> has worked...
>
> Can't use system restore as restore doesn't go back far enough, i.e before
> the 12th of February
>
> I have "hidden" the Update....
>
> My qyestions are:
>
> 1) What is causing this problem, how do I solve it, or is a format the only
> way??
> 2) Do I need this Update to Install SP1, or is it only used to Install SP1
> via WU?? or will I still be able to Install SP1 via the standalone
> package??
>

> Thanks For Any Advice
>
> Grzyb

Manually install it, as the version from WU is messed up.
Grzyb [1000174]

Re: Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows (KB938371) Can't Install
Hi,

I've downloaded the Standalone already, available here.....

It was the KB938371 which was released to WU on the 12th February. It came
down with "other" Important updates from MS

Article ID : 938371
Last Review : February 12, 2008
Revision : 1.0

It was 5.8mb in Size,

After it failed via WU, I Downloaded it manually from MS

http://lb1.www.ms.akadns.net/downloa...DisplayLang=en

As far as I can tell, It has failed with the following Error Codes

Code 8007371B & 80070005

It has failed on my Main Machine, which has NEVER been subjected to ANY Beta
software, as it's a very critical machine, No Registry Hacks etc to enable
SP1 Installation, Just a NORMAL IMPORTANT Update from MS???

I have Windows Update selected to Download & Install Updates
Automatically....

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Grzyb [1000174] wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is NE1 else having problems with this Update, All that happens to my
>> machine
>> is that it asks to be shutdaown to Install Updates, Installs, then the
>> same
>> thing happens....
>>
>> I have tried Installing via Windows Update/Standalone, disabling UAC,
>> Anti-Virus etc, even deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, but nothing
>> has worked...
>>
>> Can't use system restore as restore doesn't go back far enough, i.e
>> before
>> the 12th of February
>>
>> I have "hidden" the Update....
>>
>> My qyestions are:
>>
>> 1) What is causing this problem, how do I solve it, or is a format the
>> only
>> way??
>> 2) Do I need this Update to Install SP1, or is it only used to Install
>> SP1
>> via WU?? or will I still be able to Install SP1 via the standalone
>> package??
>>

>> Thanks For Any Advice
>>
>> Grzyb
>>

> Manually install it, as the version from WU is messed up.

TaurArian

Re: Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows (KB938371) Can't Install
Redownload the update
or locate the update that you've already downloaded
or locate the update that downloaded automatically in the softwaredistribution folder

Wherever you find it etc, right click on the update and make sure you run as an
administrator.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Grzyb [1000174]" <peter_romaniuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I've downloaded the Standalone already, available here.....
|
| It was the KB938371 which was released to WU on the 12th February. It came
| down with "other" Important updates from MS
|
| Article ID : 938371
| Last Review : February 12, 2008
| Revision : 1.0
|

| It was 5.8mb in Size,
|
| After it failed via WU, I Downloaded it manually from MS

http://lb1.www.ms.akadns.net/downloa...DisplayLang=en

| As far as I can tell, It has failed with the following Error Codes
|
| Code 8007371B & 80070005
|
| It has failed on my Main Machine, which has NEVER been subjected to ANY Beta
| software, as it's a very critical machine, No Registry Hacks etc to enable
| SP1 Installation, Just a NORMAL IMPORTANT Update from MS???
|
| I have Windows Update selected to Download & Install Updates
| Automatically....
|
| "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
| > Grzyb [1000174] wrote:
| >> Hi All,
| >>
| >> Is NE1 else having problems with this Update, All that happens to my
| >> machine
| >> is that it asks to be shutdaown to Install Updates, Installs, then the
| >> same
| >> thing happens....
| >>
| >> I have tried Installing via Windows Update/Standalone, disabling UAC,
| >> Anti-Virus etc, even deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, but nothing
| >> has worked...
| >>
| >> Can't use system restore as restore doesn't go back far enough, i.e
| >> before
| >> the 12th of February
| >>
| >> I have "hidden" the Update....
| >>
| >> My qyestions are:
| >>
| >> 1) What is causing this problem, how do I solve it, or is a format the
| >> only
| >> way??
| >> 2) Do I need this Update to Install SP1, or is it only used to Install
| >> SP1
| >> via WU?? or will I still be able to Install SP1 via the standalone
| >> package??
| >>

| >> Thanks For Any Advice
| >>
| >> Grzyb
| >>
| > Manually install it, as the version from WU is messed up.

Grzyb [1000174]

Re: Update For Windows Vista For X64-based Systems, Update for Windows (KB938371) Can't Install
Thanks For the Tip,

When I Right-Click on either the Downloaded MSU File or Extracted CAB File,
I do not have anything that resembles "Run As Administrator" ??

Regards

Grzyb
"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Redownload the update
> or locate the update that you've already downloaded
> or locate the update that downloaded automatically in the
> softwaredistribution folder
>
> Wherever you find it etc, right click on the update and make sure you run
> as an
> administrator.
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may
> benefit.
>

> "Grzyb [1000174]" <peter_romaniuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | I've downloaded the Standalone already, available here.....
> |
> | It was the KB938371 which was released to WU on the 12th February. It
> came
> | down with "other" Important updates from MS
> |
> | Article ID : 938371
> | Last Review : February 12, 2008
> | Revision : 1.0
> |

> | It was 5.8mb in Size,
> |
> | After it failed via WU, I Downloaded it manually from MS
> |

> http://lb1.www.ms.akadns.net/downloa...DisplayLang=en
> |
> | As far as I can tell, It has failed with the following Error Codes
> |
> | Code 8007371B & 80070005
> |
> | It has failed on my Main Machine, which has NEVER been subjected to ANY
> Beta
> | software, as it's a very critical machine, No Registry Hacks etc to
> enable
> | SP1 Installation, Just a NORMAL IMPORTANT Update from MS???
> |
> | I have Windows Update selected to Download & Install Updates
> | Automatically....
> |
> | "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> the

> nothing

> the
> Install

> | > Manually install it, as the version from WU is messed up.

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re KB938371
You need to download KB937287 as a standalone and install separately first (no reboot required) then install KB938371 and reboot. Microsoft have admitted that a problem exsists if you don't install seperately.
The standalone for both can be downloaded at: Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)
Diana

RE: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Yes, Microsoft has admitted that 937287 could cause problems for some users.

Here is the location to download 937287

A KB article is also being drafted and it will be sent out shortly.

Diana

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
PSS Security Team

"TUNKYTOY" wrote:

> Microsoft admits installing KB937287 with other windows updates will not
> work, and as pulled the patch. Therefore you have to install KB937287
> seperately and preferably as a standalone then KB938371 and other
> patches should install OK. The problem caused many machines to
> multi-boot with unsuccesful installs, and in some cases failed to system
> restore.
> The standalone patchs can be found at:
> 'Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)'
> (http://tinyurl.com/2l3vdl)
>

> --
> TUNKYTOY

Grzyb [1000174]

Re: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Hi,

KB937287 Installed Fine For me, KB93871 Did Not,

Can't Install it even as a Standalone, & No Restore points to go back to, as
they have been overwritten, What Now??

Regards

Grzyb
"Diana" <Diana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, Microsoft has admitted that 937287 could cause problems for some
> users.
>
> Here is the location to download 937287
>
> A KB article is also being drafted and it will be sent out shortly.
>
> Diana
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> PSS Security Team

> rights.
>

> "TUNKYTOY" wrote:
>

>> Microsoft admits installing KB937287 with other windows updates will not
>> work, and as pulled the patch. Therefore you have to install KB937287
>> seperately and preferably as a standalone then KB938371 and other
>> patches should install OK. The problem caused many machines to
>> multi-boot with unsuccesful installs, and in some cases failed to system
>> restore.
>> The standalone patchs can be found at:
>> 'Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/2l3vdl)
>>

>> --
>> TUNKYTOY

TUNKYTOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re GRZYB - KB938371
To GRZYB

If you can't get System restore to show an earlier point try going into Safe Mode to System Restore and see if there shows an earlier point there

.To do this, boot up the machine, press F8 during startup to get a menu of choices, and select the Safe Mode option. If you can't open the System restore applet from the Start menu once Windows has started in Safe Mode, click Start, Run, enter rstrui.exe and click OK. This launches System Restore, and you can then see if can choose a date before the constant rebooting problems started If it works out reinstall the two updates separately
TaurArian

RE: Microsoft admits KB937287 & KB938371 problems
Here's the KB article -

Updates do not install successfully and your computer is continually
restarting when you try to install updates from Windows Update on a Windows
Vista computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358