WindowsUpdateClient wakes Vista at 6AM every day

tom.cage

WindowsUpdateClient wakes Vista at 6AM every day
I'm having an isssue where my Windows Vista PC comes out of sleep every
morning at exactly 6AM. Power settings say it should go back to sleep after
an hour of being idle, but this is not the case. It may be because I have set
to require my password on waking from sleep.

For some while I wasn't able to figure out the cause of the waking at 6AM.
Recently I created a custom view in event viewer to show every single event
between 05:59:00 and 06:01:00.

The events are ususally as follows:

Level: Information
Time: 6:00:01
Source: WindowsUpdateClient
Event ID: 30
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Event: Windows Update established connectivity.

Level: Warning
Time: 6:00:01
Source: WindowsUpdateClient
Event ID: 29
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Event: Windows Update lost connectivity.

These are then usually followed by two more "Windows Update established
connectivity." events, identical to the first in the list. All four events
are logged at the same time, but this can vary between 05:59:57 and 06:00:02.

As a troubleshooting measure, I have tried telling Windows Update to "never
check for updates" within control panel, but this does not seem to make a
difference.

How can stop Vista waking up every morning?

Re: WindowsUpdateClient wakes Vista at 6AM every day
[Crossposted to Vista Security & Vista Performance_Maintenance newsgroups.]

Configure Windows Update to check for updates at a time when the machine's
usually running and connected to the internet.

See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

tom.cage wrote:
> I'm having an isssue where my Windows Vista PC comes out of sleep every
> morning at exactly 6AM. Power settings say it should go back to sleep
> after
> an hour of being idle, but this is not the case. It may be because I have
> set to require my password on waking from sleep.
>
> For some while I wasn't able to figure out the cause of the waking at 6AM.
> Recently I created a custom view in event viewer to show every single
> event
> between 05:59:00 and 06:01:00.
>
> The events are ususally as follows:
>
> Level: Information
> Time: 6:00:01
> Source: WindowsUpdateClient
> Event ID: 30
> Task Category: Windows Update Agent
> Event: Windows Update established connectivity.
>
> Level: Warning
> Time: 6:00:01
> Source: WindowsUpdateClient
> Event ID: 29
> Task Category: Windows Update Agent
> Event: Windows Update lost connectivity.
>
> These are then usually followed by two more "Windows Update established
> connectivity." events, identical to the first in the list. All four events
> are logged at the same time, but this can vary between 05:59:57 and
> 06:00:02.
>
> As a troubleshooting measure, I have tried telling Windows Update to
> "never
> check for updates" within control panel, but this does not seem to make a
> difference.
>
> How can stop Vista waking up every morning?

tom.cage

Re: WindowsUpdateClient wakes Vista at 6AM every day
Hi,

I've read through the tutorial you linked to, but I didn't learn anything I
don't already know - the tutorial only really covers basic use of Windows
Update...

The first question in the FAQ section touches on my problem, but the answer
of "Updates are downloaded behind the scenes as you use your computer."
doesn't seem to be true in my case - as far as I can tell, my PC is being
woken up every morning at 6AM just so that Windows Update can check for new
updates.

I have updates set to install at 3AM - the default setting - as I don't mind
updates installing if they are downloaded and ready. It's just the checking
for updates which seems to be causing me problems.

I hope this makes sense...