O/S and Windows Update Settings:
Vista Ultimate(SP1 is not installed)
Windows Update configuration:
- Notify(Check for Updates but let me choose)
- Recommended Updates(checked to include recommended updates)
- Update service(checked to use Microsoft Update)
After installing offered pre Sp1 updates 938371 restarting, and running Vista's 'Windows Update\Check for Updates' the update for
KB947449 is no longer offered, though as expected 937287 was offered and installed, Vista restarted, recheck for updates- no change.
- as near as I can tell The Kb article appears to be of no help and only applicable to XP.
Updates 938371 and 937287 were installed using Vista' s Windows Update install now option(after Notification, not automatically).
The latter was only offered(as expected) after installing 937287.
It's my current understanding that 947449 is supposed to be offered(as other Live updates) if Microsoft Updates are toggled on in
Vista settings thus the following tried so far without success.
a: toggled off the option to use Microsoft Update, restarted, toggled on again, rechecked for updates - no impact
b. removed existing Windows Live Sign-In Assistant, reran Vista's Check for Windows Updates- not offered.
- Sign Assistant application was removed via Vistas Programs and Features(no latter Sign-Update was present in installed
c. reinstalled Windows Live Sign-Assistant, reran Vista's Check for Windows Updates- not offered
- reinstalled using the universal Windows Live Installer
d. repeated (b) as above, and ( c) with slight modification[used Sign-In Assistant *.msi file)- no impact.
It is possible that neither 938371 or 937287 caused the issue and Windows Update is not up to snuff, though it did provide notice of
Unless 947449 was pulled, can' think of next step short of digging deeper into Windows Update.
Any comments, suggestions appreciated.
ms-mvp windows live mail