update never finishes

juzuum

update never finishes
last night an update began on my vista premium laptop and still today it
keeps restarting saying installing step 3 of 3 0% complete. It never
finishes. I tried to restart in safe mode but it still tries to finish the
update even in safe mode. I did a restart with repair computer and I can get
system restore to start but for some reason the only restore point it is
offering is the one that began with the update. This one just starts the
process over again.
juzuum

RE: update never finishes
I just found the question from yesterday that addresses this same issue. My
problem is my computer did not come with a vista disk so is there another way
I can fix this. Again my restore point only offers the day of the update.
Thanks.

VRMIO

RE: update never finishes
See the solution :
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...8-695cd0cc80c0

"juzuum" wrote:

> last night an update began on my vista premium laptop and still today it
> keeps restarting saying installing step 3 of 3 0% complete. It never
> finishes. I tried to restart in safe mode but it still tries to finish the
> update even in safe mode. I did a restart with repair computer and I can get
> system restore to start but for some reason the only restore point it is
> offering is the one that began with the update. This one just starts the
> process over again.

Calven

RE: update never finishes

This error is most likely caused by one of the following conditions:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.
2. Windows Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.
3. Windows Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

We can perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue. After trying
each suggestion, please go to the Windows Update site to check the result.
Thanks for your cooperation.

NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service.
If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet
or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the
Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again after
completing the update process.

Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains
corrupted files. This step will help us clear the Windows Update Temporary
folder “SoftwareDistribution”, which contains Windows Update History data
(DataStore.edb file), downloaded updates’ installation files, and other
Windows Update components' files. After renaming this folder, it will be
re-created automatically with most files, except the Windows Update History
data and downloaded updates’ installation files.

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".
Please run the following command in the open window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click "Start", "Run", type: "%windir%" (without quotations) and press
"Enter".
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".
Please run the following command in the open window.

Net start WuAuServ

Note: After resolving this Windows Update issue, please feel free to delete
the Sdold file. However, if you would like to keep the Windows Update History
data, please copy the DataStore.edb file under C:\Windows\Sdold\DataStore,
and paste it to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore.

Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
1. Visit the following link and download Windows Update Agent 3.0 to the C:\
(Choose Save, click My Computer on left panel, Click C:\, Click Open and
Click Save)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

2. Click Start, Click Run and copy the following command to the panel:

C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Note: There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and
"/wuforce".

Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
=====================================
1. Press "Start" and choose "Run".
2. Type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press "OK".
3. In the command line, type in the following command and press "Enter":

MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press "Enter":

MSIexec /regserver

After completing the above steps, please check the result again. If the
issue persists, please click "Start", click "Control Panel", and click "Add
or Remove Programs" to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If
it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows
Installer 3.1 from the following link.

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2):
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...803-v2-x86.exe