RE: windows error code 80072f8f
The error code 0x80072F8F can be caused by the following factors:
1. The date and time on the computer differs from the valid date and time.
2. Corrupted Windows Update engine files.
We will address some of the more common causes of this issue. It is
important that we attempt to connect to the Windows Update web site after
each step to confirm whether the resolution has worked. This will prevent us
from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us
with valuable feedback to further develop our support resolutions for you and
our future customers. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Step 1: Verify System Date
1. Double-click the clock in the notification area, in the bottom right of
2. In the "Date/Time Properties" dialog box, change the date and time to
today's date and time.
3. Click "OK" to accept the changes.
Letâ€™s now try Windows Update again and see if the issue has been resolved.
Please let us know if this step has resolved your issue. If it has not lets
proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Re-register system files
This issue can also occur if the system files that are used by Windows
Update have not been registered. Since there are many system files that need
to be checked, I suggest we use the following method to re-register these
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "notepad C:\register.bat" (without
quotations) and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s
regsvr32 wups.dll /s
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s
regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
net start wuauserv
regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s
regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s
regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
3. After the above commands have been pasted, please close the "Notepad"
window. Choose "Yes" when you are prompted to save the file.
4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\register.bat" and press "Enter" to run
the commands that have been pasted.
> I keep gettin a message that says windows could not search for updates...do
> anyone know how to handle this