Win2k Error 0x80070005 Getting Update Software

Mike -- Email Ignored

Win2k Error 0x80070005 Getting Update Software
After clicking Start->Windows Update on my Win2k box,
I get a screen informing me that I have to install
new update software. When I click "Install Now" to
"Get the latest Windows Update software.", It goes
through Downloading, Copying and Registering, and
then displays

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot
display the page you are trying to view. The options
provided below might help you solve the problem."

Also, "Error number: 0x80070005" is shown.

Nothing has yet worked. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Win2k Error 0x80070005 Getting Update Software
0x80070005 is usually a Permissions issue

Please see this:

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
registry permissions
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx

That will reset file and registry ACLs [access control list] by running
SubInACL, but if there is an installed security program that 'guards'
the registry from changes, then the ACLs may be reset again by said
program to 'protect' it.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

lorenapecchio@hotmail.com

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote:

> After clicking Start->Windows Update on my Win2k box,
> I get a screen informing me that I have to install
> new update software. When I click "Install Now" to
> "Get the latest Windows Update software.", It goes
> through Downloading, Copying and Registering, and
> then displays
>
> "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
> display the page you are trying to view. The options
> provided below might help you solve the problem."
>
> Also, "Error number: 0x80070005" is shown.
>
> Nothing has yet worked. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:41:15 -0800, MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

> 0x80070005 is usually a Permissions issue
>
> Please see this:
>
> Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
> registry permissions
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
>
> That will reset file and registry ACLs [access control list] by running
> SubInACL, but if there is an installed security program that 'guards'
> the registry from changes, then the ACLs may be reset again by said
> program to 'protect' it.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

[...]

I proceeded as recommended and it didn't make any difference. I note:
1. I have ZoneAlarm running. Might this interfere?
2. SubInACL printed voluminously. I did note that it counted
many "failures".
3. It finally stopped printing. When I tried to close the window it
created, it complained that it needed note time. But it printed
no more, and after about five minutes, I killed it anyway.

Additional suggestions would be much appreciated. I note that on this
box, not much would be lost by reinstalling Win2k from scratch, except
for a number of seriously boring hours. I hope it doesn't come to
that.

Mike.
Calven

RE: Win2k Error 0x80070005 Getting Update Software
The issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. Security programs running in the background interfere with the
installation of Windows Updates.
2. The permission settings in the System Files and registry are inappropriate.

We will address some of the more common causes of this issue. It is
important that we attempt to connect to the Windows Update web site after
each step to confirm whether the resolution has worked. This will prevent us
from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us
with valuable feedback to further develop our support resolutions for you and
our future customers. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable the security programs for troubleshooting
purposes only
Certain third party application can be the cause of the issue. Let's first
try disabling or uninstalling any third party security applications you may
have installed on the computer. Please be advised this is for troubleshooting
purposes only and once we have addressed the issue you should immediately
re-enable or re-install the applications. If the third party security
application is determined to be the cause, you will need to contact the
vendor about the applications' compatibility with Windows Update and obtain
their assistance in configuring the application to allow Windows Update.

For your reference, we have listed a few of the third party security
applications:

Steganos
Download Accelerator
GetRight
Browser Blaster

Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall
Zone Alarm Firewall

Proxyconn
Netsonic
Download Accelerator Plus
Morpheus
FasterInternet Pro
DSL Speed

Once you have disabled or removed any third party security applications,
please check our access to the Windows Update web site again. If you
encounter problems disabling these programs, we recommend completely
uninstalling the program, for troubleshooting purposes only, from the
computer. Before uninstalling any application you may want to re-install,
please ensure that you have the CDs or files needed to re-install it, and
have enabled your Windows Firewall.

Let’s now try Windows Update again and see if the issue has been resolved.
Please let us know if this step has resolved your issue. If it has not lets
proceed to the next step.

Suggestion 2: Reset permissions
========================
This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take
some time. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
1. Please download the "subinacl.msi" from the following link and save the
installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...inityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install
it.
3. Please select "C:\Windows\System32" as the destination folder during the
installation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use
this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
-------
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "notepad C:\reset.cmd" (without quotations)
and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the "Notepad" window.
Choose "Yes" when prompted to save the file.
4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\reset.cmd" (without quotations) and press
"Enter" to run the commands pasted.
5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: This step may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is
finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

Best Regards,

Calven
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:59:00 -0800, Calven wrote:

> The issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

[...]

Shutting off ZoneAlarm and Node32 solved the problem.
Thanks,
Mike.