Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2008
Tomi Lehto
 

Posts: n/a
Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Hello,
My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are ready
to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows again,
it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
already.

I don't know what to do -- there is C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
how to tells windows that, too?)

Any help would be appreciated,

Tomi



--
Käytössä Operan vallankumouksellinen sähköpostiohjelma:
http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Are each of them listed in Add/Remove Programs, Tomi?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tomi Lehto wrote:
> Hello,
> My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are ready
> to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows again,
> it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
> already.
>
> I don't know what to do -- there is C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
> 942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
> how to tells windows that, too?)
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Tomi


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2008
Jaakkima Räikkönen
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Dear Tomi,

I guess this problem may have a great lot a do with the use of IIS on XP
Home. You can check the state of errors in your %windir%\windowsupdate.log,
in case of recent version numbers on lines related to these updates you
perhaps want to remove these two updates from future checks once for all.

Is your system more secure after the updates, I do not know. If you want to
play safe and still use IIS I guess you'd rather start using XP Pro.

Jaakkima Räikkönen
"Tomi Lehto" wrote:

> Hello,
> My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are ready
> to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows again,
> it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
> already.
>
> I don't know what to do -- there is C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
> 942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
> how to tells windows that, too?)
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Tomi
>
>
>
> --
> Käytössä Operan vallankumouksellinen sähköpostiohjelma:
> http://www.opera.com/mail/
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2008
Calven
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831

For my experience, we can refer to the following steps to download and
install Windows Updates manually:

1. Visit Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
2. Use the IDs of Windows Updates to find the download links. For example,
you can use the key word KB810243 to find the link to download update 810243.
3. Download the update and save it (them) to the Desktop.
4. Please install it (them) and check the result again.

If you have encountered any trouble when trying above steps, I strongly
suggest you capture the latest screenshot and collect the Windows Update log.
Thank you for your time.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2008
Tomi Lehto
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> kirjoitti Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:52:28
+0200:

> Are each of them listed in Add/Remove Programs, Tomi?


Yes, they are. I was going to uninstall them, but got a message and list
of programs that they might not work after I uninstall the update.
For KB942830 in the list there was update KB946026 (among couple of
programs), and for 942831 the list included KB942830, 943055 and 946026.

I didn't uninstall the updates because I cannot afford to break things
right now.

Tomi


--
Käytössä Operan vallankumouksellinen sähköpostiohjelma:
http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Tomi Lehto wrote:
<paste>
>> My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are
>> ready
>> to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows again,
>> it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
>> already.
>>
>> I don't know what to do -- there is C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
>> 942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
>> how to tells windows that, too?)

</paste>
> Robear Dyer wrote:
>> Are each of them listed in Add/Remove Programs, Tomi?

>
> Yes, they are. I was going to uninstall them, but got a message and list
> of programs that they might not work after I uninstall the update.
> For KB942830 in the list there was update KB946026 (among couple of
> programs), and for 942831 the list included KB942830, 943055 and 946026.
>
> I didn't uninstall the updates because I cannot afford to break things
> right now.


[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the folder named "Download" and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) >
Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete > Uncheck/deselect KB942830 and
KB942831 and hide each of them ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2008
Tomi Lehto
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> kirjoitti Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:17:35
+0200:

> Tomi Lehto wrote:
> <paste>
>>> My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are
>>> ready
>>> to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows
>>> again,
>>> it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
>>> already.
>>>
>>> I don't know what to do -- there is
>>> C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
>>> 942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
>>> how to tells windows that, too?)

> </paste>
>> Robear Dyer wrote:
>>> Are each of them listed in Add/Remove Programs, Tomi?

>>
>> Yes, they are. I was going to uninstall them, but got a message and list
>> of programs that they might not work after I uninstall the update.
>> For KB942830 in the list there was update KB946026 (among couple of
>> programs), and for 942831 the list included KB942830, 943055 and 946026.
>>
>> I didn't uninstall the updates because I cannot afford to break things
>> right now.

>
> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
>

OK.

> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) >
> Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete > Uncheck/deselect KB942830
> and KB942831 and hide each of them ("Don't show me this update again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:


I did this, and so far it seems I am not prompted to install those two
updates again. Good!
However, if I understand correctly I am now just telling Windows Update to
ignore those two updates, even if it thinks they must be installed on my
computer. Am I right about this? I still would like to know how to fix the
problem, not just to hide the symptoms (i.e. the nagging update icon in
taskbar

Thanks,
Tomi



--
Käytössä Operan vallankumouksellinen sähköpostiohjelma:
http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Tomi Lehto wrote:
>>>> My windows xp home sp2 tells me that updates KB942830 and 942831 are
>>>> ready
>>>> to install, they install ok (I think) but after I start up Windows
>>>> again,
>>>> it wants to install them again. I have installed them several times
>>>> already.
>>>>
>>>> I don't know what to do -- there is
>>>> C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB942830$ and
>>>> 942831 directories, does that mean that they are installed (and if yes,
>>>> how to tells windows that, too?)

<paste>
PA Bear wrote:
Are each of them listed in Add/Remove Programs, Tomi?
</paste>
>>>
>>> Yes, they are. I was going to uninstall them, but got a message and list
>>> of programs that they might not work after I uninstall the update.
>>> For KB942830 in the list there was update KB946026 (among couple of
>>> programs), and for 942831 the list included KB942830, 943055 and 946026.
>>>
>>> I didn't uninstall the updates because I cannot afford to break things
>>> right now.

>>

> PA Bear wrote:
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the folder named "Download" and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Go to Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) >
>> Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to complete > Uncheck/deselect KB942830
>> and
>> KB942831 and hide each of them ("Don't show me this update again").
>>
>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>>

>
> I did this, and so far it seems I am not prompted to install those two
> updates again. Good!
> However, if I understand correctly I am now just telling Windows Update to
> ignore those two updates, even if it thinks they must be installed on my
> computer. Am I right about this? I still would like to know how to fix the
> problem, not just to hide the symptoms (i.e. the nagging update icon in
> taskbar)


You had told me that both KB942830 and KB942831 were listed in Add/Remove
Programs.

If you followed all of the instructions in my last post, Automatic Updates
should not be prompting you to install KB942830 and KB942831. Are you
telling me that it is, or is Automatic Updates offering you other updates
now?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2008
Tomi Lehto
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> kirjoitti Thu, 21 Feb 2008 03:29:14
+0200:

> Tomi Lehto wrote:
>> I did this, and so far it seems I am not prompted to install those two
>> updates again. Good!
>> However, if I understand correctly I am now just telling Windows Update
>> to
>> ignore those two updates, even if it thinks they must be installed on my
>> computer. Am I right about this? I still would like to know how to fix
>> the
>> problem, not just to hide the symptoms (i.e. the nagging update icon in
>> taskbar)

>
> You had told me that both KB942830 and KB942831 were listed in
> Add/Remove Programs.
>
> If you followed all of the instructions in my last post, Automatic
> Updates should not be prompting you to install KB942830 and KB942831.
> Are you telling me that it is, or is Automatic Updates offering you
> other updates now?


Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, both KB942830 and KB942831 were already installed, and now Automatic
Update does not prompt me to install them again anymore.
What I meant that to me clicking "Don't show me this update again" on
windowsupdate.microsoft.com does not fix the initial problem, which was
that Automatic Update wants to repeatedly install updates that I already
have installed.

Anyway, as someone else pointed out my problem probably is that I have IIS
installed on XP Home, which is not very "supported" thing to do. I had
already forgot that even though I noticed that KB942830 and KB942831 are
updates for IIS. Blame on me.

Thanks again,
Tomi

--
Käytössä Operan vallankumouksellinen sähköpostiohjelma:
http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP repeatedly KB942830 and 942831
Tomi Lehto wrote:
>>> I did this, and so far it seems I am not prompted to install those two
>>> updates again. Good!
>>> However, if I understand correctly I am now just telling Windows Update
>>> to
>>> ignore those two updates, even if it thinks they must be installed on my
>>> computer. Am I right about this? I still would like to know how to fix
>>> the
>>> problem, not just to hide the symptoms (i.e. the nagging update icon in
>>> taskbar)

>>
>> You had told me that both KB942830 and KB942831 were listed in
>> Add/Remove Programs.
>>
>> If you followed all of the instructions in my last post, Automatic
>> Updates should not be prompting you to install KB942830 and KB942831.
>> Are you telling me that it is, or is Automatic Updates offering you
>> other updates now?

>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Yes, both KB942830 and KB942831 were already installed, and now Automatic
> Update does not prompt me to install them again anymore.
> What I meant that to me clicking "Don't show me this update again" on
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com does not fix the initial problem, which was
> that Automatic Update wants to repeatedly install updates that I already
> have installed.
>
> Anyway, as someone else pointed out my problem probably is that I have IIS
> installed on XP Home, which is not very "supported" thing to do. I had
> already forgot that even though I noticed that KB942830 and KB942831 are
> updates for IIS. Blame on me.


YW. If you're still concerned, you may...

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS08-005 â?? Important: Vulnerability in Internet Information Services Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (942831) Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 02-12-2008 19:50
RE: Update for Windows XP (KB931836) repeatedly fails to install Newbie IT Guy microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-10-2007 00:20
RE: Update for Windows XP (KB931836) repeatedly fails to install Raisleger microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-02-2007 15:49
Article ID: 935881 A Windows Vista-based computer restarts repeatedly after you install a security package KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
The Vista Windows update repeatedly fails to install a "recommended" driver. Trond Ruud microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-12-2007 20:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:34.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120