Help ! We need a complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs !

PGWatch@gmail.com

Help ! We need a complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs !
I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I work
for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are facing
with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various departments, with a
lot of problems.

One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and which
is not.

We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one, and
we need help.

We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.

Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the genuine
ones.

As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1 installed,
some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all mixed up.

As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
from the pirated versions.

Can anyone please help? Thx !

Re: Help ! We need a complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs !
Uh-huh. Now pull the other one...

Seriously now, send an email request for this, including your name, address,
work & home phone numbers, to piracy@microsoft.com with a CC to
secure@microsoft.com.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PGWatch@gmail.com wrote:
> I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I work
> for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are facing
> with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various departments, with a
> lot of problems.
>
> One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
> running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
> problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and which
> is not.
>
> We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one, and
> we need help.
>
> We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
> on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
> other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.
>
> Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
> it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the genuine
> ones.
>
> As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
> issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1 installed,
> some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all mixed up.
>
> As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
> from the pirated versions.
>
> Can anyone please help? Thx !

Shenan Stanley

PGWatch wrote:
> I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I
> work for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are
> facing with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various
> departments, with a lot of problems.
>
> One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
> running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
> problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and
> which is not.
>
> We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one,
> and we need help.
>
> We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
> on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
> other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.
>
> Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
> it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the
> genuine ones.
>
> As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
> issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1
> installed, some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all
> mixed up.
>
> As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
> from the pirated versions.
>
> Can anyone please help? Thx !

In the situation you are in - if you cannot find the CoA (Certificate of
Authenticity) - you are probably better off assuming that license is not
valid. For OEM copies - that is usually attached to the PC itself - a
sticker.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

SG

Re: Help ! We need a complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs !
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...aq.aspx#ID0EXC

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

--
All the best,
SG

PGWatch@gmail.com

On Feb 15, 1:28 pm, "SG" <so...@nomail.com> wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...aq.aspx#ID0EXC
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> <PGWa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I work
> > for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are facing
> > with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various departments, with a
> > lot of problems.

> > One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
> > running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
> > problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and which
> > is not.

> > We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one, and
> > we need help.

> > We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
> > on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
> > other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.

> > Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
> > it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the genuine
> > ones.

> > As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
> > issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1 installed,
> > some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all mixed up.

> > As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
> > from the pirated versions.

> > Can anyone please help? Thx !

Many thanks for the links !
PGWatch@gmail.com

On Feb 15, 1:15 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PGWatch wrote:
> > I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I
> > work for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are
> > facing with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various
> > departments, with a lot of problems.

> > One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
> > running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
> > problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and
> > which is not.

> > We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one,
> > and we need help.

> > We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
> > on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
> > other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.

> > Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
> > it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the
> > genuine ones.

> > As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
> > issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1
> > installed, some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all
> > mixed up.

> > As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
> > from the pirated versions.

> > Can anyone please help? Thx !

> In the situation you are in - if you cannot find the CoA (Certificate of
> Authenticity) - you are probably better off assuming that license is not
> valid. For OEM copies - that is usually attached to the PC itself - a
> sticker.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Previously many of the different departments have their own IT support
staffs and they purchase their own PCs. That's why right now we have a
total combo --- a true mess.

Some of the OS are pirated, but not all. That's why we need to know
just how many are pirated before we can send our report to the bean
counters for them to agree to issue the check.

We also have XP that comes in boxes, and I dunno how many of those
boxes are genuinely from Microsoft either. Sigh !
Gis Bun

RE: Help ! We need a complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs !
[I know this is weird but you may want to at least get them all up to date.]
Aside from SG's suggestions, roll out Windows Media Player 11. WMP11 requires
a valid Win XP copy. Any failures would either be:
1) invalid copy of XP
2) already on there
3) another unknown issue

"PGWatch@gmail.com" wrote:

> I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I work
> for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are facing
> with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various departments, with a
> lot of problems.
>
> One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
> running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
> problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and which
> is not.
>
> We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one, and
> we need help.
>
> We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
> on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
> other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.
>
> Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
> it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the genuine
> ones.
>
> As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
> issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1 installed,
> some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all mixed up.
>
> As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
> from the pirated versions.
>
> Can anyone please help? Thx !

Dr.Hal0nf1r£$

PGWatch@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 15, 1:15 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> PGWatch wrote:
>>> I work in the maintenance department, and recently the company I
>>> work for has gone through a major restructuring. Currently we are
>>> facing with the maintenance of a lot of PCs from various
>>> departments, with a lot of problems.

>>> One of the problems we have is that some of the PCs may have been
>>> running pirated copies of WinXP, and to further complicate the
>>> problem, we have no idea which PC is running genuine copies, and
>>> which is not.

>>> We are determined to sort out the pirated copies from genuine one,
>>> and we need help.

>>> We need a list of invalid WinXP Product IDs to compare with the ones
>>> on our hand, and although I've downloaded a copy from
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904, I believe that there are
>>> other invalid Product IDs out there that aren't in the list.

>>> Hence, if we can get the complete list of invalid WinXP Product IDs,
>>> it would help us a lot of weed out the pirated copies from the
>>> genuine ones.

>>> As if the problems we face isn't enough, some of the WinXP are OEM
>>> issued, and some of them have COA with them. Some have SP1
>>> installed, some SP2, and we also have lots of in-betweeners, all
>>> mixed up.

>>> As to now we still haven't a clue how best to sort out the genuine
>>> from the pirated versions.

>>> Can anyone please help? Thx !

>> In the situation you are in - if you cannot find the CoA
>> (Certificate of Authenticity) - you are probably better off assuming
>> that license is not
>> valid. For OEM copies - that is usually attached to the PC itself -
>> sticker.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart
>> Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> Previously many of the different departments have their own IT support
> staffs and they purchase their own PCs. That's why right now we have a
> total combo --- a true mess.
>
> Some of the OS are pirated, but not all. That's why we need to know
> just how many are pirated before we can send our report to the bean
> counters for them to agree to issue the check.
>
> We also have XP that comes in boxes, and I dunno how many of those
> boxes are genuinely from Microsoft either. Sigh !

Download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool; it'll soon tell you
if the o/s is a pirate when you search for non-critical updates.