computer won't boot up after recent update

scotwolf

computer won't boot up after recent update
hi, my computer was installing an vista automatic update last night 13/02/08
and just kept running and running and did nothing for 2-3 hours. my whole
system was frozen and could do nothin apart from switch the whole lot off.
the problem now is it won't reboot and start. i get an error message that a
file corrupted and i am unable to load last known configuration etc and it
also then goes to a screen that says to insert my vista disc and click
repair. i won't let me do this either.
can anyone who is a bit more savvy than me help. i'm not daft but if you can
advise what to do i hope to be able to solve myself without paying someone.
the same problem occured in january after an update and that cost £40.
i am going to make sure i disable automatic updates in future
--
thanks scotwolf

Re: computer won't boot up after recent update

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

scotwolf wrote:
> hi, my computer was installing an vista automatic update last night
> 13/02/08
> and just kept running and running and did nothing for 2-3 hours. my whole
> system was frozen and could do nothin apart from switch the whole lot off.
> the problem now is it won't reboot and start. i get an error message that
> file corrupted and i am unable to load last known configuration etc and it
> also then goes to a screen that says to insert my vista disc and click
> repair. i won't let me do this either.
> can anyone who is a bit more savvy than me help. i'm not daft but if you
> can
> advise what to do i hope to be able to solve myself without paying
> someone.
> the same problem occured in january after an update and that cost £40.
> i am going to make sure i disable automatic updates in future

Ed Stoddard

RE: computer won't boot up after recent update
Scotwolf,

You must put your Vista CD into a CD/DVD ROM drive and then reboot your
computer. During the boot process your computer should show that you can
enter Boot Process by pressing F12 or some other "F" key. You must watch
closely as that screen can disappear rather quickly - you must press the key
when it shows on screen. Once in the Boot Process or sequence, you should be
able to choose whether to start up from your hard drive or CD ROM. Choose CD
ROM, of course.

Your computer will then look for you Vista CD to boot from instead of your
hard drive. Once the CD starts up you will have to select your language
again but it will be the default, so you will just need to click "okay" or
"next" to get to the next screen. That one will allow you to choose to
re-install Vista or "repair" Vista. Choose REPAIR. Another screen will
appear called something like Recovery Options. Choose RESTORE (to an earlier
date) and follow the steps. Once the list of dates comes up, you may see
about 3 very recent dates but you should notice a check box for dates older
than 5 days. Do NOT pick the most recent date shown - rather, pick an older
date and just follow the prompts. You system will restore to the date you
sellected. Once loged in you might diable Automatic Updates so you can pick
and choose what to allow.

Hope this helps.