RE: Windows update fails with error code 80240016
"Classic-Car-World Ltd" wrote:
> Hi I have an issue on a laptop running Windows Vista in that windows updates
> is reporting that it can't get updates. All I get is an error code of
> 80240016 when it tries and fails to install Office 2007 SP1 from the update
> list. I have downloaded the update manually and it has been installed
> successfully but Windows Update still reports that it can't get updates.
> Other posts on the Internet have indicated a similar problem and have
> suggested running sfc /scannow to fix the problem. Unfortunately this hasn't
> worked for me. Trying to run the sfc from a command prompt returns an error
> that you have to be an administrator to run sfc. There is only one user
> account on the laptop and it is an administrator!! I have created a new
> administrator account and got the same results.
> I eventually tried it in safe mode and got sfc to work although it reported
> some errors and pointed me to a log file which didn't appear to show
> anything except for a list of files with dual ownership.
> I also got sfc to run under new account after I turned off user account
> controls (UAC) but it finished with the same error and pointed me at the
> same file.
> Windows defender would also appear not to be updating with an error code
> Is this a common problem and has anyone come across a cause and a fix
> Many thanks
> Hi Tom,
I have sent a technical report to Microsoft with this same issue. I was not
able to get an MS update from day one. I bought a new computer and was not
even able to install MSN after installing a fresh Vista OS.
Fortunately, my brother who is a computer wiz disabled all of microsoft
security products including Microsofts Antivirus and Defender software - this
actually worked. I got my first updates. Unfortunately this is not convenient
for me and for most Vista users.
These days I get the same error code 80240016 when i attempt to update and
there is an annoying icon on my taskbar telling me that Windows cannot get
updates. Not only that, but Defender also has an error code and is also
unable to update.
I hope someone has a real solution for this soon...otherwise i may be
converted to Lynix.