Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)

Joe

Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
I think that there's a failure to communicate between the administrative
access settings on this computer and windows update. This is my personal
computer, and I'm on the only user account(which is appropriately marked as
administrator). When I go to the windows update settings, the options for its
behavior are grayed out, and there is a notice on the top that says "Some
settings are managed by your system administrator." It's currently set to
download and install updates automatically. I can deselect recommended
updates here, and I can disable Microsoft Update.

So, that's the first issue, that despite having administrative access I seem
to be denied the ability to pick between the four options here. This next
part is just flat out confusing to me; I suspect it stems from the same
problem but I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Basically, if I
jump back out to the main page for Windows Update, the last line of
information reads "You recieved updates: Managed by your system
administrator." and a link to "Check online for updates from Windows Update."
If I do that, it finds a dozen updates that date from a few days to months
old(They are all labeled "Important", but I'm not installing them to preserve
this behavior until I get it resolved).

On that last part, I can only assume that some of these updates aren't being
automatically installed with the rest of what windows update normally finds
because they require administrative approval or something of the sort.
Anyway, I'm at a loss; it seems like there's clearly a problem with windows
recognizing that I have administrative access.
newb

RE: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
hello Joe, looks as though me and you are having the same problem

"Joe" wrote:

> I think that there's a failure to communicate between the administrative
> access settings on this computer and windows update. This is my personal
> computer, and I'm on the only user account(which is appropriately marked as
> administrator). When I go to the windows update settings, the options for its
> behavior are grayed out, and there is a notice on the top that says "Some
> settings are managed by your system administrator." It's currently set to
> download and install updates automatically. I can deselect recommended
> updates here, and I can disable Microsoft Update.
>
> So, that's the first issue, that despite having administrative access I seem
> to be denied the ability to pick between the four options here. This next
> part is just flat out confusing to me; I suspect it stems from the same
> problem but I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Basically, if I
> jump back out to the main page for Windows Update, the last line of
> information reads "You recieved updates: Managed by your system
> administrator." and a link to "Check online for updates from Windows Update."
> If I do that, it finds a dozen updates that date from a few days to months
> old(They are all labeled "Important", but I'm not installing them to preserve
> this behavior until I get it resolved).
>
> On that last part, I can only assume that some of these updates aren't being
> automatically installed with the rest of what windows update normally finds
> because they require administrative approval or something of the sort.
> Anyway, I'm at a loss; it seems like there's clearly a problem with windows
> recognizing that I have administrative access.

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Windows version?

What anti-virus application is installed? Do you have the Windows Firewall
or a third-party firewall enabled?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joe wrote:
> I think that there's a failure to communicate between the administrative
> access settings on this computer and windows update. This is my personal
> computer, and I'm on the only user account(which is appropriately marked
> as
> administrator). When I go to the windows update settings, the options for
> its behavior are grayed out, and there is a notice on the top that says
> "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." It's currently
> set to download and install updates automatically. I can deselect
> recommended updates here, and I can disable Microsoft Update.
>
> So, that's the first issue, that despite having administrative access I
> seem
> to be denied the ability to pick between the four options here. This next
> part is just flat out confusing to me; I suspect it stems from the same
> problem but I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Basically, if I
> jump back out to the main page for Windows Update, the last line of
> information reads "You recieved updates: Managed by your system
> administrator." and a link to "Check online for updates from Windows
> Update." If I do that, it finds a dozen updates that date from a few days
> to months old(They are all labeled "Important", but I'm not installing
> them
> to preserve this behavior until I get it resolved).
>
> On that last part, I can only assume that some of these updates aren't
> being
> automatically installed with the rest of what windows update normally
> finds
> because they require administrative approval or something of the sort.
> Anyway, I'm at a loss; it seems like there's clearly a problem with
> windows
> recognizing that I have administrative access.

Joe

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Vista Home Premium, 32-bit
McAfee VirusScan2007
Running the McAfee firewall
(note: I had been running both that and the windows one until just now;
must've enabled the windows one when messing around with something and
forgotten to disable it)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version?
>
> What anti-virus application is installed? Do you have the Windows Firewall
> or a third-party firewall enabled?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Joe wrote:
> > I think that there's a failure to communicate between the administrative
> > access settings on this computer and windows update. This is my personal
> > computer, and I'm on the only user account(which is appropriately marked
> > as
> > administrator). When I go to the windows update settings, the options for
> > its behavior are grayed out, and there is a notice on the top that says
> > "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." It's currently
> > set to download and install updates automatically. I can deselect
> > recommended updates here, and I can disable Microsoft Update.
> >
> > So, that's the first issue, that despite having administrative access I
> > seem
> > to be denied the ability to pick between the four options here. This next
> > part is just flat out confusing to me; I suspect it stems from the same
> > problem but I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Basically, if I
> > jump back out to the main page for Windows Update, the last line of
> > information reads "You recieved updates: Managed by your system
> > administrator." and a link to "Check online for updates from Windows
> > Update." If I do that, it finds a dozen updates that date from a few days
> > to months old(They are all labeled "Important", but I'm not installing
> > them
> > to preserve this behavior until I get it resolved).
> >
> > On that last part, I can only assume that some of these updates aren't
> > being
> > automatically installed with the rest of what windows update normally
> > finds
> > because they require administrative approval or something of the sort.
> > Anyway, I'm at a loss; it seems like there's clearly a problem with
> > windows
> > recognizing that I have administrative access.

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Does the behavior persist after disabling the Windows Firewall?

Joe wrote:
> Vista Home Premium, 32-bit
> McAfee VirusScan2007
> Running the McAfee firewall
> (note: I had been running both that and the windows one until just now;
> must've enabled the windows one when messing around with something and
> forgotten to disable it)
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows version?
>>
>> What anti-virus application is installed? Do you have the Windows
>> Firewall
>> or a third-party firewall enabled?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> I think that there's a failure to communicate between the administrative
>>> access settings on this computer and windows update. This is my personal
>>> computer, and I'm on the only user account(which is appropriately marked
>>> as
>>> administrator). When I go to the windows update settings, the options
>>> for
>>> its behavior are grayed out, and there is a notice on the top that says
>>> "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." It's currently
>>> set to download and install updates automatically. I can deselect
>>> recommended updates here, and I can disable Microsoft Update.
>>>
>>> So, that's the first issue, that despite having administrative access I
>>> seem
>>> to be denied the ability to pick between the four options here. This
>>> next
>>> part is just flat out confusing to me; I suspect it stems from the same
>>> problem but I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing. Basically, if
>>> jump back out to the main page for Windows Update, the last line of
>>> information reads "You recieved updates: Managed by your system
>>> administrator." and a link to "Check online for updates from Windows
>>> Update." If I do that, it finds a dozen updates that date from a few
>>> days
>>> to months old(They are all labeled "Important", but I'm not installing
>>> them
>>> to preserve this behavior until I get it resolved).
>>>
>>> On that last part, I can only assume that some of these updates aren't
>>> being
>>> automatically installed with the rest of what windows update normally
>>> finds
>>> because they require administrative approval or something of the sort.
>>> Anyway, I'm at a loss; it seems like there's clearly a problem with
>>> windows
>>> recognizing that I have administrative access.

Joe

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Aye, it continues all the same, even with both firewalls disabled. Tested the
various combinations of both on, one on, neither on(restarts inbetween) and
it doesn't have any effect.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Does the behavior persist after disabling the Windows Firewall?
>
> Joe wrote:
> > Vista Home Premium, 32-bit
> > McAfee VirusScan2007
> > Running the McAfee firewall
> > (note: I had been running both that and the windows one until just now;
> > must've enabled the windows one when messing around with something and
> > forgotten to disable it)
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Windows version?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application is installed? Do you have the Windows
> >> Firewall
> >> or a third-party firewall enabled?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Then I recommend that you...

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Joe wrote:
> Aye, it continues all the same, even with both firewalls disabled. Tested
> the various combinations of both on, one on, neither on(restarts
> inbetween)
> and it doesn't have any effect.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Does the behavior persist after disabling the Windows Firewall?
>>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Vista Home Premium, 32-bit
>>> McAfee VirusScan2007
>>> Running the McAfee firewall
>>> (note: I had been running both that and the windows one until just now;
>>> must've enabled the windows one when messing around with something and
>>> forgotten to disable it)

Joe

Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Hmm, thanks. I was going to do that originally, but when I tried to get back
to the page I found something that seemed to indicate I'd be charged a hefty
sum for the service, must have been something else. Thanks for the link
though.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Then I recommend that you...

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Joe wrote:
> > Aye, it continues all the same, even with both firewalls disabled. Tested
> > the various combinations of both on, one on, neither on(restarts
> > inbetween)
> > and it doesn't have any effect.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Does the behavior persist after disabling the Windows Firewall?

MJBruno is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
[...]

I had the same thing occur after I used my personal computer (Vista Business) and joined one of my client's Windows Server domains. After I un-joined that domain and went back to my own workgroup, Windows Update worked fine again.

brucefr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't change windows update settings(administrative conflict)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBruno View Post
I had the same thing occur after I used my personal computer (Vista Business) and joined one of my client's Windows Server domains. After I un-joined that domain and went back to my own workgroup, Windows Update worked fine again.
Similar thing happend on my Windows 7 machine. I had to delete the registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate]
and reboot and all was just fine...