Windows Update very strange behaviour

Jan Eide

Windows Update very strange behaviour
Suddenly several of our clients get the windows update notification
"Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer
for the updates to take effect"

Then the "Restart Now" button is greyed out, and the only option available
is "restart later".

Our clients are Windows XP pro with SP2, and they are hooked up to a WSUS
3.0 server. The WSUS server report that the workstations in question are up
to date with all updates installed

Any ideas?

Doug Messer

RE: Windows Update very strange behaviour
I am also having this issue, along with co-workers in my office. Our IT
department took my PC yesterday and said they fixed it,,,well its back today.
Any one know how to rid this pop-up??

"Jan Eide" wrote:

> Suddenly several of our clients get the windows update notification
> "Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer
> for the updates to take effect"
>
> Then the "Restart Now" button is greyed out, and the only option available
> is "restart later".
>
> Our clients are Windows XP pro with SP2, and they are hooked up to a WSUS
> 3.0 server. The WSUS server report that the workstations in question are up
> to date with all updates installed
>
> Any ideas?

Re: Windows Update very strange behaviour
Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jan Eide wrote:
> Suddenly several of our clients get the windows update notification
> "Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer
> for the updates to take effect"
>
> Then the "Restart Now" button is greyed out, and the only option available
> is "restart later".
>
> Our clients are Windows XP pro with SP2, and they are hooked up to a WSUS
> 3.0 server. The WSUS server report that the workstations in question are
> up
> to date with all updates installed
>
> Any ideas?

Jan Eide

Re: Windows Update very strange behaviour
Hi,

The "error" came from a Citrix server. We had installed the latest updates,
but due to the load on the server we had clicked "restart later" while
logged in with admin privileges. Then Windows Update kept issuing reminders,
and citrix published it as a separate seamless window.
As none of the users involved had admin rights the restart button was greyed
out. Thank god for that, else they would have restarted our terminal server.

There are two ways to work arround this in a citrix environment. Restart the
server, or stop the windows update service.

Best regards,

Jan