Migrating WSUS 3.0 to a new server

So many questions

Migrating WSUS 3.0 to a new server
Using the doc "Backing Up Windows Server Update Services 3.0" I have backed
up our old WSUS 3.0 server with NTBackup and restored WSUS on a new physical
server. The new server looks good, I can see all of the updates and settings
from the old server. I've created a test OU with 2 test systems in it. I
created a test group policy that points to the new WSUS server and applied it
to the test OU. My problem is that my two test systems still do not pick up
that I have approved new updates. I have verified that they got the test
group policy. The old server is still up, so I'm wondering if there's some
kind of conflict. Anybody have any ideas on how I can get my test clients to
talk to my new WSUS? I don't want to switch our production group policies to
the new server until I can get my test systems to see it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the problem:

"You should restore the backup file to only one WSUS server. The backed-up
information includes the Server ID, so if you restore the same backup file to
two or more WSUS servers there will be two or more WSUS servers with the same
ID. If you attempt to roll up information from downstream servers with
duplicate IDs to an upstream server, you will get information from only one
of these downstream servers."

Re: Migrating WSUS 3.0 to a new server
Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup via crosspost:
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services as a convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

So many questions wrote:
> Using the doc "Backing Up Windows Server Update Services 3.0" I have
> backed
> up our old WSUS 3.0 server with NTBackup and restored WSUS on a new
> physical
> server. The new server looks good, I can see all of the updates and
> settings from the old server. I've created a test OU with 2 test systems
> in it. I created a test group policy that points to the new WSUS server
> and applied it to the test OU. My problem is that my two test systems
> still do not pick up that I have approved new updates. I have verified
> that they got the test group policy. The old server is still up, so I'm
> wondering if there's some kind of conflict. Anybody have any ideas on how
> I can get my test clients to talk to my new WSUS? I don't want to switch
> our production group policies to the new server until I can get my test
> systems to see it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the problem:
>
> "You should restore the backup file to only one WSUS server. The backed-up
> information includes the Server ID, so if you restore the same backup file
> to two or more WSUS servers there will be two or more WSUS servers with
> the
> same ID. If you attempt to roll up information from downstream servers
> with
> duplicate IDs to an upstream server, you will get information from only
> one
> of these downstream servers."

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Migrating WSUS 3.0 to a new server
Cross posted to WSUS NG for poster's convenience:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services
[ Browser or web based view ]

[ link for OE ]

It would be best to post this to the WSUS NG.
Cross posted for you already, just click the URL above.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten