tries to install the same update every two minutes or so

mwj999

tries to install the same update every two minutes or so
I did have automatic updates turned on. However the little yellow shield in
the taskbar was telling me every two minutes or so that updates were ready
for installation. I clicked on the shield and the following update was
installed

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

I received no error messages and according to the microsoft website I have
installed this 8 times today always successfully. I originally installed this
several days ago.

I have now switched automatic updates off.

blankmonkey

RE: tries to install the same update every two minutes or so

Download and run the patch manually, it should give you an error code.
or check the WSUS logs on the local machine, I think windowsupdate.log and
windows Update.log (note the space)

"mwj999" wrote:

> I did have automatic updates turned on. However the little yellow shield in
> the taskbar was telling me every two minutes or so that updates were ready
> for installation. I clicked on the shield and the following update was
> installed
>
> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>
> I received no error messages and according to the microsoft website I have
> installed this 8 times today always successfully. I originally installed this
> several days ago.
>

> I have now switched automatic updates off.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: tries to install the same update every two minutes or so
The Windows Update.log is no longer used as the Windows Update Catalog
has been renamed the Microsoft Update Catalog, moved to a different URL,
and no longer utilizes it.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

[NOTE: Win 9x systems can still access the Windows Update Catalog, not
NTFS based systems]

The WindowsUpdate.log, located in the WINDOWS directory [folder] is what
should be used to view any possibly relevant errors.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

blankmonkey wrote:

> Download and run the patch manually, it should give you an error code.
> or check the WSUS logs on the local machine, I think windowsupdate.log and
> windows Update.log (note the space)
>
> "mwj999" wrote:
>

>>I did have automatic updates turned on. However the little yellow shield in
>>the taskbar was telling me every two minutes or so that updates were ready
>>for installation. I clicked on the shield and the following update was
>>installed
>>
>>Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>>
>>I received no error messages and according to the microsoft website I have
>>installed this 8 times today always successfully. I originally installed this
>>several days ago.
>>

>>I have now switched automatic updates off.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: tries to install the same update every two minutes or so
Download the update from here and SAVE it:

Uninstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) from Add/Remove Programs in the
Control Panel.
Restart the system
With * all programs and browsers closed ' install
msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe.
Restart if requested to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

mwj999 wrote:

> I did have automatic updates turned on. However the little yellow shield in
> the taskbar was telling me every two minutes or so that updates were ready
> for installation. I clicked on the shield and the following update was
> installed
>
> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>
> I received no error messages and according to the microsoft website I have
> installed this 8 times today always successfully. I originally installed this
> several days ago.
>

> I have now switched automatic updates off.

Calven

RE: tries to install the same update every two minutes or so
This issue occurs when the components of MSXML 4.0 SP2 are not working
properly. We can reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 and then reinstall its update
KB936181 to troubleshoot this issue.

For your convenience, the detailed steps are outlined below:

Step 1: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2
================================
1. Please refer to the following link to download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the "msxml.msi" file on
the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.
4. If you receive three options "Modify", "Repair", and "Remove", please
click "Remove" and follow the instructions to remove MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2.
5. After removing it, please double-click "msxml.msi" file again, click
"Install Now" button, and then follow the instructions.

After reinstalling MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2, please move on to step 2 to
install the update KB936181.

Step 2: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)
1. Please download the update from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...936181-enu.exe

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the "
msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe" file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be
performed automatically.
4. After finishing the above steps, please check the result on the Windows
Update website again.

Best Regards,

Calven