Net Framework Update

Edward W. Thompson

Net Framework Update
Here we go again! It seems that each time there is an update to Net
Framework it doesn't install on my machine unless I remove all versions and
reinstall from scratch. To say this is tiresome is an understatement. Has
anyone any idea how to 'repair' Net Framework without uninstall and
reinstall or better still how to prevent the problem (whatever the problem
is) occuring in the first place.

What puzzles me is there seems to be no indication that there is a 'problem'
with Net Framework except when I come to install an update.

Dave-B

RE: Net Framework Update
Edward, seems as if we have the same issue - I cant get it to work either.

Anybody got an answer to prevent this from happening - would be much
appreciated.

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> Here we go again! It seems that each time there is an update to Net
> Framework it doesn't install on my machine unless I remove all versions and
> reinstall from scratch. To say this is tiresome is an understatement. Has
> anyone any idea how to 'repair' Net Framework without uninstall and
> reinstall or better still how to prevent the problem (whatever the problem
> is) occuring in the first place.
>
> What puzzles me is there seems to be no indication that there is a 'problem'
> with Net Framework except when I come to install an update.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Net Framework Update
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Here we go again! It seems that each time there is an update to Net
> Framework it doesn't install on my machine unless I remove all versions and
> reinstall from scratch. To say this is tiresome is an understatement. Has
> anyone any idea how to 'repair' Net Framework without uninstall and
> reinstall or better still how to prevent the problem (whatever the problem
> is) occuring in the first place.

In my case it was simply a matter of doing the analysis using the logs
to see what the problem was and then avoid that. In fact, I found out
that when I installed it manually a message window popped up which
could have saved me digging into the logs if I had believed what it was
telling me. The message said I had other beta products installed which
must be uninstalled before the .NET framework could be updated.
So, eventually I found in Add/Remove programs that indeed I did have
a Win Fx Beta installed. I removed that and the .NET Framework update
was rerun without further difficulty.

My impression so far is that the procedure of completely uninstalling all
..NET Frameworks is just a tactic which avoids all analysis and smaller
avoidance procedures based on such analysis.

> What puzzles me is there seems to be no indication that there is a 'problem'
> with Net Framework except when I come to install an update.

No puzzle here. That may be the only time dependency checking needs
to be done.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---