When are you going to fix it?

Aaron Oxford

When are you going to fix it?
As usual today I have an automatic update problem. Error 0x80242006. Of
course, this is not listed anywhere and all the support options - well,
anyone who has made it here knows just how good they are: troubleshooters
that tell you to check if your computer is turned on etc, forums full of
users with the same problem but no solution, and 'no cost support' that
consists of being sent a script to delete the WAU folder.

Is there any plans whatsoever for MS to fix this ridiculous bug called WAU
that has been present for over 5 years now? It's OK you don't have to answer,
I'm just endeavouring to make sure that there is a one-to-one relationship
between WAU error messages and posts on your forums since you seem incapable
of making this happen yourselves.
TaurArian

Re: When are you going to fix it?
How to contact the complaints department -

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Aaron Oxford" <AaronOxford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| As usual today I have an automatic update problem. Error 0x80242006. Of
| course, this is not listed anywhere and all the support options - well,
| anyone who has made it here knows just how good they are: troubleshooters
| that tell you to check if your computer is turned on etc, forums full of
| users with the same problem but no solution, and 'no cost support' that
| consists of being sent a script to delete the WAU folder.
|
| Is there any plans whatsoever for MS to fix this ridiculous bug called WAU
| that has been present for over 5 years now? It's OK you don't have to answer,
| I'm just endeavouring to make sure that there is a one-to-one relationship
| between WAU error messages and posts on your forums since you seem incapable
| of making this happen yourselves.

Shenan Stanley

Aaron Oxford wrote:
> As usual today I have an automatic update problem. Error
> 0x80242006. Of course, this is not listed anywhere and all the
> support options - well, anyone who has made it here knows just how
> good they are: troubleshooters that tell you to check if your
> computer is turned on etc, forums full of users with the same
> problem but no solution, and 'no cost support' that consists of
> being sent a script to delete the WAU folder.
>
> Is there any plans whatsoever for MS to fix this ridiculous bug
> called WAU that has been present for over 5 years now? It's OK you
> don't have to answer, I'm just endeavouring to make sure that there
> is a one-to-one relationship between WAU error messages and posts
> on your forums since you seem incapable of making this happen
> yourselves.

Sorry you are having trouble with your computer. I have not seen this issue
on the thousands I manage at this point in time. I have seen it on select
computers over the years - but I can actually count the 'physical contact
with such machines" on my fingers - don't even have to go to my toes. What
I am trying to say is that your problem - albeit not unique - is not in the
majority. By my experience alone over the years with Microsoft/Windows
Update - I have about a 10 in 3500 chance of actually seeing this problem
personally - and not in a newsgroup.

That is not to lessen your frustration over your (I suppose repeated?) issue
with this... You can be as frustrated as you like. Just remember that not
everyone has this issue, there are millions upon millions of possible
configurations for computers out there and the people in these public
newsgroups - by and large - are volunteering their time and knowledge freely
to help people they do not know nor do they get anything in return other
than occassionally a 'thank you' (Most of the time they assume a thnak you
when the original poster never returns.)

First - what operating system are you running? This is just Windows
Update - you could be running just about any Windows OS.

After that - what service pack (if applicable) are you at?

What changed between it working and now? Repair installation? Fresh
installation? Specific updates last month and now this months do not work?

Can you help us help you?

Please post the last 50 lines (approx.) of the
WindowsUpdate.log

Start button --> Run and type in:
%windir%\windowsupdate.log

Click OK or press Enter and the Log File will open.
Scroll to the bottom, copy&paste the requested lines into
your reply.

The more details you give - the more likely you will get an answer that
works for you.

Have you tried (ignoring the title) any of the following:

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
(all the methods given)

Can't figure that out?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

After that - download and install Internet Explorer 7 again (whether or not
it is offered as an update.)

- Come back and let us know how things went!

As for your complaint, might I suggest an email...
https://support.microsoft.com/common...h=1&gprid=6527

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

The Roo

Re: When are you going to fix it?
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !
I was really loosing it-thanks for the info I will get on that even though
some of it scares me. I haven't really gotten that into repairing Windows
problems, silly me I left that up to microsoft. I didn't really trust the
dial a fix -kinda sounds like Road Runner Acme Computer fix in a can... LOL
good night all you folks I will post a reply in the a.m.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> - Windows Update
> - All the Registration Center options.
>
> Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
> Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".
>
> Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.
>
> - Download/Install Windows Update v3.
>
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
> (You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
> right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)
>
> - Download/Install the 927891 patch.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-404327772E5A
>
> - Reboot.
>
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.
>
> After that - download and install Internet Explorer 7 again (whether or not
> it is offered as an update.)
>
> - Come back and let us know how things went!
>

> As for your complaint, might I suggest an email...

No bug here.

Aaron Oxford wrote:
> As usual today I have an automatic update problem. Error 0x80242006. Of
> course, this is not listed anywhere and all the support options - well,
> anyone who has made it here knows just how good they are: troubleshooters
> that tell you to check if your computer is turned on etc, forums full of
> users with the same problem but no solution, and 'no cost support' that
> consists of being sent a script to delete the WAU folder.
>
> Is there any plans whatsoever for MS to fix this ridiculous bug called WAU
> that has been present for over 5 years now? It's OK you don't have to
> answer, I'm just endeavouring to make sure that there is a one-to-one
> relationship between WAU error messages and posts on your forums since you
> seem incapable of making this happen yourselves.

Calven

RE: When are you going to fix it?

The issue may be caused by the following factors:

1. The installation is affected by some third-party security software.
2. The downloaded installation file is corrupted.

In order to narrow down the cause of our issue, let's refer to the following
steps:

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If
you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or
web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try to access the
Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when the
update process has been completed.

Step 1: Reload the Update temporary folders
=================================
This step can help reload the downloaded installation files.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the open window.
Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the open folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the open window.

Net start WuAuServ

If it does not work, let's refer to the following steps to manually download
and install the update in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, security software will not
be launched.

Step 2: Download and install the update manually.
1. Please visit the following link and download the update

Update for Windows XP (KB934238)
http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...4d063938e6.exe

2. Please note its location and install it manually.

Best Regards,

Calven