internet problems

Christian Steins

internet problems
Hi,
I have problems with internet (firefox, thunderbird) after
the 09-jan-2008 update, so I just de-installed the patches
(kb941644 and 943485).

Christian
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: internet problems
And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???
STRONGLY suggest you call into MS as the system is now vulnerable to
this: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx

> This is a critical security update for all supported editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista

> This critical security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities in Transmission
> Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) processing. An attacker who successfully exploited
> this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system. An attacker could then
> install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
> Support -
> International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is
> no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how
> to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Christian Steins wrote:

> Hi,
> I have problems with internet (firefox, thunderbird) after
> the 09-jan-2008 update, so I just de-installed the patches
> (kb941644 and 943485).
>
> Christian

Christian Steins

Re: internet problems
MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
> And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
send messages to newsgroups....

OperatingSystem = XP professional

Greetings,
Christian
The Roo

Re: internet problems
I also am having difficuties, first is was just the daughter's browser not
fixed-when I try to get the updates from Microsoft I get an error message
0x800B0001 -looked this up and it states somewhere in a geek blog that I have
a problem with my RPC not being active-so I followed direction to see if that
worked without messing up something else. That is what fixed MSN browser but
not the Windows update problem. I have emailed the support page as suggested
by someone! I really need those updates-stealth update? what is that about?

"Christian Steins" wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
> > And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

> After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
> send messages to newsgroups....
>
> OperatingSystem = XP professional
>
> Greetings,
> Christian

The Roo

Re: internet problems
I couldn't find the patches in add and remove are they hidden?

"Christian Steins" wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
> > And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

> After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
> send messages to newsgroups....
>
> OperatingSystem = XP professional
>
> Greetings,
> Christian

Christian Steins

Re: internet problems
The Roo schrieb:

> I couldn't find the patches in add and remove are they hidden?
>
>> MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
>>> And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

>> After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
>> send messages to newsgroups....
>>
>> OperatingSystem = XP professional

Hi,
in Systemcontrol->Software you have to check "show updates".

Christian
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: internet problems
If the system is XP then go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Make sure the 'Show updates' box is checked at the top of ARP.
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and look under
' Windows XP - software updates '
They are listed by date, the latest ones being at the bottom.

Is there a 3rd party firewall being used ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

The Roo wrote:
> I couldn't find the patches in add and remove are they hidden?
>
> "Christian Steins" wrote:
>

>>MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
>>
>>>And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

>>After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
>>send messages to newsgroups....
>>
>>OperatingSystem = XP professional
>>
>>Greetings,
>>Christian

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: internet problems
PLEASE call in, Christian. If you don't and others don't then MS will
never know that there's an issue with one of the updates. I strongly
suspect it's the update for TCP/IP that I previously posted the URL for.
The issue *may* possibly be related to a 3rd party firewall and deal
with allowing tcpip.sys access to the internet.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Christian Steins wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
>
>> And, was the 'internet problems' resolved ???

> After deinstalling the patches I am able again to
> send messages to newsgroups....
>
> OperatingSystem = XP professional
>
> Greetings,
> Christian

Christian Steins

Re: internet problems
Hi,
I re-installed the 2 patches separatly and now everything
is working fine. Only minor internet connection probs,
which I assume are not related to the patch.

Chris

MowGreen [MVP] schrieb:
> PLEASE call in, Christian. If you don't and others don't then MS will
> never know that there's an issue with one of the updates. I strongly
> suspect it's the update for TCP/IP that I previously posted the URL for.
> The issue *may* possibly be related to a 3rd party firewall and deal
> with allowing tcpip.sys access to the internet.

Krisztian

Re: internet problems
I been trying to figure this out but I cant find any usable fixes including
yours. When i do the KB941644 update and reboot I cannot get online.
In Device Manager >> View >> Show hidden devices I see the yellow ! next to
IP Network Address Translator and TCP/IP Protocol Driver
I have to go my i386 service pack folder to copy ipnat.sys and tcpip.sys
files back into the system32/drivers directory and reboot to make it work
again but then the patches are not present.

Any ideas?