Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

auto update damaged system file - won't start up

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
NoviceTech
 

Posts: n/a
auto update damaged system file - won't start up
XP Pro Srv Pk2 loaded. Original mach was XP Home. Updated awhile ago and
it has been fine. Dell machine
Last night I downloaded windows update and when it rebooted black screen
saying "Windows can not start because the Windows\System32\config\system
file is corrupt or missing. You can attempt to repair this file by starting
Windows Setup using the original Setup CD. Type "r" at the first menu.
I may be in over my head. I have 3 CDs. Original setting for Home XP
setup, the CD upgrade to Professional XP and the Serv Pack 2.
At the moment I can't get to a screen to type or do anything.
I can get into setup to change the order of booting to the CD Drive but I am
afraid to mix up the system file from the original disk with the upgraded XP
Pro.
Please help. I don't want to lose data on machine.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: auto update damaged system file - won't start up
For whatever reason, the registry contains corrupted data and that's
what is causing this issue.

It doesn't matter which XP CD is used as long as you're just going to
install Recovery Console : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Here's how to recover from the registry corruption, if you haven't found
it yet: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2208]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



NoviceTech wrote:

> XP Pro Srv Pk2 loaded. Original mach was XP Home. Updated awhile ago and
> it has been fine. Dell machine
> Last night I downloaded windows update and when it rebooted black screen
> saying "Windows can not start because the Windows\System32\config\system
> file is corrupt or missing. You can attempt to repair this file by starting
> Windows Setup using the original Setup CD. Type "r" at the first menu.
> I may be in over my head. I have 3 CDs. Original setting for Home XP
> setup, the CD upgrade to Professional XP and the Serv Pack 2.
> At the moment I can't get to a screen to type or do anything.
> I can get into setup to change the order of booting to the CD Drive but I am
> afraid to mix up the system file from the original disk with the upgraded XP
> Pro.
> Please help. I don't want to lose data on machine.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
NoviceTech
 

Posts: n/a
Re: auto update damaged system file - won't start up

Thanks so much. I will try this tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> For whatever reason, the registry contains corrupted data and that's
> what is causing this issue.
>
> It doesn't matter which XP CD is used as long as you're just going to
> install Recovery Console : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
>
> Here's how to recover from the registry corruption, if you haven't found
> it yet: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2208]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> NoviceTech wrote:
>
> > XP Pro Srv Pk2 loaded. Original mach was XP Home. Updated awhile ago and
> > it has been fine. Dell machine
> > Last night I downloaded windows update and when it rebooted black screen
> > saying "Windows can not start because the Windows\System32\config\system
> > file is corrupt or missing. You can attempt to repair this file by starting
> > Windows Setup using the original Setup CD. Type "r" at the first menu.
> > I may be in over my head. I have 3 CDs. Original setting for Home XP
> > setup, the CD upgrade to Professional XP and the Serv Pack 2.
> > At the moment I can't get to a screen to type or do anything.
> > I can get into setup to change the order of booting to the CD Drive but I am
> > afraid to mix up the system file from the original disk with the upgraded XP
> > Pro.
> > Please help. I don't want to lose data on machine.
> >
> >

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2008
NoviceTech
 

Posts: n/a
Re: auto update damaged system file - won't start up
I am in more trouble. I loaded the Recovery Console and once in tried to
make directory temp and was told access denied. Did a directory and no
files were there - An error occurred during directory enumeration. So I ran
checkdsk without any switch and it ended at 38% saying unrecoverable errors -
but all the files now show with dir. However still couldn't make a
directory - Access Denied. Cant copy or anything. Then I ran checkdsk /r -
it stopped this time at 28% and still no access. I give up.

"NoviceTech" wrote:

>
> Thanks so much. I will try this tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > For whatever reason, the registry contains corrupted data and that's
> > what is causing this issue.
> >
> > It doesn't matter which XP CD is used as long as you're just going to
> > install Recovery Console : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
> >
> > Here's how to recover from the registry corruption, if you haven't found
> > it yet: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
> >
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2208]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >
> >
> >
> > NoviceTech wrote:
> >
> > > XP Pro Srv Pk2 loaded. Original mach was XP Home. Updated awhile ago and
> > > it has been fine. Dell machine
> > > Last night I downloaded windows update and when it rebooted black screen
> > > saying "Windows can not start because the Windows\System32\config\system
> > > file is corrupt or missing. You can attempt to repair this file by starting
> > > Windows Setup using the original Setup CD. Type "r" at the first menu.
> > > I may be in over my head. I have 3 CDs. Original setting for Home XP
> > > setup, the CD upgrade to Professional XP and the Serv Pack 2.
> > > At the moment I can't get to a screen to type or do anything.
> > > I can get into setup to change the order of booting to the CD Drive but I am
> > > afraid to mix up the system file from the original disk with the upgraded XP
> > > Pro.
> > > Please help. I don't want to lose data on machine.
> > >
> > >

> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet Tsulliv1 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 05-16-2008 13:18
Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2 Bigger microsoft.public.windowsupdate 10 11-29-2007 05:36
Deleting a file when activex is damaged Thatcher microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 05-31-2007 04:35
Deleting a file when ACTIVEX is damaged =?Utf-8?B?ZHphbmVz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 03-20-2007 00:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120