Re: User settings and files lost after update
I had already come to the same conclusion as Renoflash prior to reading his
In my case, the affected user was "id" and his original folder within
Documents and Settings was named accordingly. The new (mostly empty) folder
was named "id.id"
Start -> Run -> type "regedit" and click OK. In regedit, click once to
highlight "My Computer" at the top of the left pane, then File -> Export.
Select a location and enter a name ("registry save" perhaps). Ensure that
Export range = All and then click Save. Why? Because it's always a good idea
to backup the registry before playing with it.
Okay, backup completed. Click Edit -> Find and search for (in my case)
"id.id". When found, double-click the key to open it for editing and change
id.id to simply id (the original folder name, in other words). Continue
searching the registry and for any other instances; I had two, as I recall.
Close regedit, reboot, and test.
> Thanks - I was sure there must be a way. Unfortunately though, I haven't a
> clue how to find and change the relevant setting in the registry. Something
> else I'll have to learn!
> Regards, Neil
> "Renoflash" <Renoflash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I had the same thing happen to one of our office computers. I fixed it by
> > searching in the registry for the new created directore
> > "username.computername" and changing it to the old name "username". I
> > exactly which setting it was but I only did it for the first one and the
> > settings came back to life.