0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional

mike

0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional
0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional x64. I
have searched the internet and have found nothing that solves the problem. I
am using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and have found turning that off has
no effect. I contacted MS help and gave me all kinds of procedures to follow
with no avail. That was a couple of months ago. Now when I inquire about
update help I am directed to the $59/hour help service because I have Windows
XP Professional x64. I want to update for security reasons, plus I would
like to see if updates will fix my problem of USB mass storage devices not
being automatically assigned a drive letter.

I have completely given up on help from MS, but I have yet to find someone
with a solution to the update problem. It is as if Windows XP Professional
x64 is an orphan out there.
Engel

RE: 0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional
Hello Mike,

You receive a "0x8007041D" error when you visit the Windows Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;902322

If this is not the case then check in the Event Viewer to see if there is
any specific
errors regarding services
Start/Run/Eventvwr.msc
..
Good luck
- -- ---

"mike" wrote:

> 0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional x64. I
> have searched the internet and have found nothing that solves the problem. I
> am using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and have found turning that off has
> no effect. I contacted MS help and gave me all kinds of procedures to follow
> with no avail. That was a couple of months ago. Now when I inquire about
> update help I am directed to the $59/hour help service because I have Windows
> XP Professional x64. I want to update for security reasons, plus I would
> like to see if updates will fix my problem of USB mass storage devices not
> being automatically assigned a drive letter.
>
> I have completely given up on help from MS, but I have yet to find someone
> with a solution to the update problem. It is as if Windows XP Professional
> x64 is an orphan out there.

TaurArian

RE: 0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional
0x8007041D - 2147023843 - ERROR_SERVICE_REQUEST_TIMEOUT
Check in the Event Viewer to see if there is any specific errors regarding
services
Start/Run/Eventvwr.msc

This was posted by another user quite some time ago -

<snip> In my case it was wups.dll in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\Ser viceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469 folder.
After removing this file, windowsupdate works great.
Mila <snip>
<snip>

If that doesn't really help - try the old fashion rename the
softwaredistribution folder - that'll get rid of anything that could be
causing problems then reinstall the WU Agent - see this article on how
(ignore title).
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Good luck.

"mike" wrote:

> 0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professional x64. I
> have searched the internet and have found nothing that solves the problem. I
> am using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 and have found turning that off has
> no effect. I contacted MS help and gave me all kinds of procedures to follow
> with no avail. That was a couple of months ago. Now when I inquire about
> update help I am directed to the $59/hour help service because I have Windows
> XP Professional x64. I want to update for security reasons, plus I would
> like to see if updates will fix my problem of USB mass storage devices not
> being automatically assigned a drive letter.
>
> I have completely given up on help from MS, but I have yet to find someone
> with a solution to the update problem. It is as if Windows XP Professional
> x64 is an orphan out there.

Qsmack

RE: 0x8007041D error when attempting to update Windows XP Professi
Deleting that wups.dll file definatly worked for me, thank you.
MowGreen

Qsmack wrote:

> Deleting that wups.dll file definatly worked for me, thank you.

Sorry, that's an incomplete answer and we'll have to penalize you.
No updates for you ... until next Tuesday. <g>

Which copy of wups.dll was deleted ?

The one in

1) WINDOWS\system32

or, one of the copies located in

2) WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\Servic eStartup\wups.dll

There is *definitely* more than one copy of wups.dll in an XP system.
You're welcome.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten