KB943078 failed installation

thornevald278

KB943078 failed installation
Security Update for Windows Vista KB943078
MS rating: important
installation status: failed (about a dozen attempts)
solutions tried:
(1) steps in Windows Help screen for Windows Update error 80070002 - attempt
unsuccessful.
(2) above same screen linked to an article in the Knowledge Base: this
addressed Windows Firewall which is turned off as NIS is running (I tried
turning off the NIS firewall, that didn't work either); this article, in
turn, linked to another that addressed security updates from July 2007.
How can I proceed with the install?
--
a troublesome vista on the horizon...
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB943078 failed installation
> Support
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support
> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates.
> • International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no
> charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to
> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

Since no-charge support is offered for Security updates, strongly
suggest you call in.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

thornevald278 wrote:

> Security Update for Windows Vista KB943078
> MS rating: important
> installation status: failed (about a dozen attempts)
> solutions tried:
> (1) steps in Windows Help screen for Windows Update error 80070002 - attempt
> unsuccessful.
> (2) above same screen linked to an article in the Knowledge Base: this
> addressed Windows Firewall which is turned off as NIS is running (I tried
> turning off the NIS firewall, that didn't work either); this article, in
> turn, linked to another that addressed security updates from July 2007.
> How can I proceed with the install?

thornevald278

Re: KB943078 failed installation
Thank you "MowGreen" for your suggestion. I called and spent nearly three
hours on the phone with a wonderfully patient and polite technician who tried
everything to accomplish the install. Unfortunately he could not do it but he
had been persistent and he certainly tried his best. I cannot blame him or
even be angry. We all know the culprit. In the end he arranged a call-back
from an engineer at a later time. The technician asked that I have the
recovery disk handy at that time. This request confirmed my own idea of
wiping the hard drive and re-installing Vista from the recovery disk. The
first time around, I put up with the "crashes" and "not responding" error
messages, until I learned how to shut off: UAC, Aero, thumbnail-sized window
previews, flip 3D, and the side-bar. These improved but did not eliminate the
poor performance. Rest assured, these items will be disabled right away. Why
Toshiba sold me a computer with only 2G RAM is beyond me. It probably needs
twice that to operate all the Vista Home Premium features.
--

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> > Support
> > • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support
> > Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates.
> > • International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no
> > charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to
> > contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155

> Since no-charge support is offered for Security updates, strongly
> suggest you call in.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> thornevald278 wrote:
>
> > Security Update for Windows Vista KB943078
> > MS rating: important
> > installation status: failed (about a dozen attempts)
> > solutions tried:
> > (1) steps in Windows Help screen for Windows Update error 80070002 - attempt
> > unsuccessful.
> > (2) above same screen linked to an article in the Knowledge Base: this
> > addressed Windows Firewall which is turned off as NIS is running (I tried
> > turning off the NIS firewall, that didn't work either); this article, in
> > turn, linked to another that addressed security updates from July 2007.
> > How can I proceed with the install?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB943078 failed installation
You're mowst welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a
difficult time with the Toshiba [OEM] version of Vista.
Is there a video [display] adapter installed or is the system sharing
memory with an integrated adapter built into the motherboard ?
It 'sounds' like the latter.

If that's the case then even 2GBs of RAM may not be capable of running
all of the eye candy *IF* Norton Internet Security is installed.
NIS eats memory, not to mention Windows itself.
To be perfectly frank, the system would be *much* happier without NIS
installed and the eye candy would probably function just fine, too.
Just my opinion based on what I've seen so far when working on laptops
with NIS installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

thornevald278 wrote:

> Thank you "MowGreen" for your suggestion. I called and spent nearly three
> hours on the phone with a wonderfully patient and polite technician who tried
> everything to accomplish the install. Unfortunately he could not do it but he
> had been persistent and he certainly tried his best. I cannot blame him or
> even be angry. We all know the culprit. In the end he arranged a call-back
> from an engineer at a later time. The technician asked that I have the
> recovery disk handy at that time. This request confirmed my own idea of
> wiping the hard drive and re-installing Vista from the recovery disk. The
> first time around, I put up with the "crashes" and "not responding" error
> messages, until I learned how to shut off: UAC, Aero, thumbnail-sized window
> previews, flip 3D, and the side-bar. These improved but did not eliminate the
> poor performance. Rest assured, these items will be disabled right away. Why
> Toshiba sold me a computer with only 2G RAM is beyond me. It probably needs
> twice that to operate all the Vista Home Premium features.

thornevald278

Re: KB943078 failed installation
Hello "MowGreen" and thank you for your reply. I do not have any technical
knowledge about display adapters. I went into Device Manager to try to answer
your question. Under display adapters there is one entry for: Mobile Intel(R)
945 Chipset Family. I have no idea what this means and the Intel website did
not define it within the context of your question.

I own a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4437. If NIS is affecting the performance of
my notebook PC, what alternative security software should I be considering.

---

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Model&x=54&y=6
> Graphics
>
> • Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-2
> dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

The system shares memory. Is NIS a Trial version or did you purchase it?
If you purchased it, try uninstalling it. That should reactivate the
native Windows firewall. Check in the Control Panel to confirm. Open the
Windows Firewall applet.

For a free antivirus, Avast is fine.
I prefer Kaspersky, NOD32, or FSecure for paid ones.

Is the system on a wireless network at home ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

thornevald278 wrote:

> Hello "MowGreen" and thank you for your reply. I do not have any technical
> knowledge about display adapters. I went into Device Manager to try to answer
> your question. Under display adapters there is one entry for: Mobile Intel(R)
> 945 Chipset Family. I have no idea what this means and the Intel website did
> not define it within the context of your question.
>
> I own a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4437. If NIS is affecting the performance of
> my notebook PC, what alternative security software should I be considering.
>
> ---
> a troublesome vista on the horizon...
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>You're mowst welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a
>>difficult time with the Toshiba [OEM] version of Vista.
>>Is there a video [display] adapter installed or is the system sharing
>>memory with an integrated adapter built into the motherboard ?
>>It 'sounds' like the latter.
>>
>>If that's the case then even 2GBs of RAM may not be capable of running
>>all of the eye candy *IF* Norton Internet Security is installed.
>>NIS eats memory, not to mention Windows itself.
>>To be perfectly frank, the system would be *much* happier without NIS
>>installed and the eye candy would probably function just fine, too.
>>Just my opinion based on what I've seen so far when working on laptops
>>with NIS installed.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>thornevald278 wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you "MowGreen" for your suggestion. I called and spent nearly three
>>>hours on the phone with a wonderfully patient and polite technician who tried
>>>everything to accomplish the install. Unfortunately he could not do it but he
>>>had been persistent and he certainly tried his best. I cannot blame him or
>>>even be angry. We all know the culprit. In the end he arranged a call-back
>>>from an engineer at a later time. The technician asked that I have the
>>>recovery disk handy at that time. This request confirmed my own idea of
>>>wiping the hard drive and re-installing Vista from the recovery disk. The
>>>first time around, I put up with the "crashes" and "not responding" error
>>>messages, until I learned how to shut off: UAC, Aero, thumbnail-sized window
>>>previews, flip 3D, and the side-bar. These improved but did not eliminate the
>>>poor performance. Rest assured, these items will be disabled right away. Why
>>>Toshiba sold me a computer with only 2G RAM is beyond me. It probably needs
>>>twice that to operate all the Vista Home Premium features.

thornevald278

Re: KB943078 failed installation
Thank you "MowGreen" for the explanations and suggestions. NIS was purchased.
I am familiar with avast! and I have used the free version in the past. I
have also used the free version of the Kaspersky virus scanner as a double
check (as well as housecall and BitDefender free virus scanners). Avast! was
great as these additional scans always came up clean. I have also used, in
the past, the free version of ZoneAlarm but it too was a memory hog. I used
SpySweeper, in the past, but when it was purchased by CheckPoint it became
unwieldly (firewall issues) and caused many problems on my old computer. I
went to NIS because I felt an integrated security suite would be better than
a component one. I am considering going with a Mac for the same reason. Apple
makes the hardware and the software. I would expect fewer interface problems.
--

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Model&x=54&y=6
> > Graphics
> >
> > • Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-2
> > dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

> The system shares memory. Is NIS a Trial version or did you purchase it?
> If you purchased it, try uninstalling it. That should reactivate the
> native Windows firewall. Check in the Control Panel to confirm. Open the
> Windows Firewall applet.
>
> For a free antivirus, Avast is fine.
> I prefer Kaspersky, NOD32, or FSecure for paid ones.
>
> Is the system on a wireless network at home ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> thornevald278 wrote:
>
> > Hello "MowGreen" and thank you for your reply. I do not have any technical
> > knowledge about display adapters. I went into Device Manager to try to answer
> > your question. Under display adapters there is one entry for: Mobile Intel(R)
> > 945 Chipset Family. I have no idea what this means and the Intel website did
> > not define it within the context of your question.
> >
> > I own a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4437. If NIS is affecting the performance of
> > my notebook PC, what alternative security software should I be considering.
> >
> > ---
> > a troublesome vista on the horizon...
> >

> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>You're mowst welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a
> >>difficult time with the Toshiba [OEM] version of Vista.
> >>Is there a video [display] adapter installed or is the system sharing
> >>memory with an integrated adapter built into the motherboard ?
> >>It 'sounds' like the latter.
> >>
> >>If that's the case then even 2GBs of RAM may not be capable of running
> >>all of the eye candy *IF* Norton Internet Security is installed.
> >>NIS eats memory, not to mention Windows itself.
> >>To be perfectly frank, the system would be *much* happier without NIS
> >>installed and the eye candy would probably function just fine, too.
> >>Just my opinion based on what I've seen so far when working on laptops
> >>with NIS installed.
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

thornevald278

Re: KB943078 failed installation
P.S. There is no wireless network. I have no need for one in my small living
space. This is why I own a notebook PC.

thornevald278 wrote:

> P.S. There is no wireless network. I have no need for one in my small living
> space. This is why I own a notebook PC.

The Toshiba is a fine notebook. As for Vista ... SP1 *should* improve
things noticeably. I've found the native Vista firewall used in
conjunction with a hardware firewall is more than sufficient to protect
a system. *
3rd party firewalls are becoming a MAJOR PITA. Just check this newsgroup
for issues connecting to the update sites/servers that almost all stem
from such firewalls.
[ * As in a wireless router that has the wireless signal turned off and
the system physically plugged into it or, just use a wired router after
the modem that has a hardware firewall, whichever choice is less expensive ]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
thornevald278

Re: KB943078 failed installation
Thank you "MowGreen" for your all of your replies and for all of the
information you have shared. My research of third party firewalls and Vista
has begun. My education regarding Windows Firewall and Windows Defender has
also commenced. The uninstallation of NIS will occur when I achieve a level
of knowledge that makes me feel comfortable in these areas.

Because I live in a small space and I never venture out with my notebook
computer, WiFi holds no interest for me. Buying a router for its hardware
firewall seems expensive. I was able to purchase an Alpha Shield hardware
firewall for $19.99, on sale, in the clearence section of a local electronics
store. Although I do not feel ready to proceed just yet, I will certainly
inform you of the results when I untether from NIS. Thanks for your patience.